Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

What are some good trails in Northern Illinois? (Lake, Cook, Mchenry, etc. county)

Hey guys, I started mountain biking about a month ago and so far I am really enjoying it. I have been riding the same trail (Des Plaines River Trail) for the past month or so and have riden it all the way from the beginning to the end multiple times.

Now I want to explore new territory! Do you guys know of any other decent trails in lake county, cook county, etc... around that area? Id really like a more challanging trail, something with more obstacles, but any suggestion is welcome...I just want to try a different trail!

Thanks fellas!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have heard good things about the Palos Trails, but haven't ridden them.

Custom User Title
    check out cambr.org.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

mtbr member
    Palos is awesome and close to you. Rock Cut in Rockford is really good too. Also, Kettle Moraine in Wisconsin is a blast. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bigb73
    Palos is awesome and close to you. Rock Cut in Rockford is really good too. Also, Kettle Moraine in Wisconsin is a blast. Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the tip...you know Kettle Moraine has been mentioned to me by a fella that sold me one of my bikes. I definitely check that out sometime!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnight369
    I have heard good things about the Palos Trails, but haven't ridden them.
    Thanks for the tip! I will definitely look into it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    So basically there is NO good places to mountain bike in lake county illinois at all? I checked that palos place and its 60 miles away which im not too pleased about.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    You said cook county though, its still in cook I believe. Palos is the only Chicago area Mountain Biking/single track place have heard of.

Frt Range, CO
    There's a few trails at Deer Grove at Dundee and Quentin:
    http://www.fpdcc.com/downloads/dg_trailmap.pdf

I ride there from home when I'm jonesing for some dirt. My sons don't like Deer Grove or Palos, so we usually drive to the Kettle and get a great workout.

newble
    Jul 2009
    DPRT is not too bad. But it is fairly easy.

I have heard only good things from many people about Kettle Moraine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Carp
    So basically there is NO good places to mountain bike in lake county illinois at all?
    Beulah Park in Zion.
    It's an informal trail system, so if you're looking for well-marked trails you should go somewhere else. Certainly a change of pace from DPRT, singletrack and many interesting features. Some of the trails haven't gotten a lot of use in the past couple of years so they are getting a little overgrown and cluttered. Really need some more XC riders to ride out there.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    RockCut and Kettle are awesome. Im only 10 min from RockCut so its my primary riding spot. Lots of variety and you can do a couple mile or 15+. Kettle is a blast definately spend a day or two out there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter
    There's a few trails at Deer Grove at Dundee and Quentin:
    http://www.fpdcc.com/downloads/dg_trailmap.pdf

I ride there from home when I'm jonesing for some dirt. My sons don't like Deer Grove or Palos, so we usually drive to the Kettle and get a great workout.
    I thought deer grove closed down all their singletrack..? I kept hearing how it's illegal to ride any of hte good trails there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by trailville
    Beulah Park in Zion.
    It's an informal trail system, so if you're looking for well-marked trails you should go somewhere else. Certainly a change of pace from DPRT, singletrack and many interesting features. Some of the trails haven't gotten a lot of use in the past couple of years so they are getting a little overgrown and cluttered. Really need some more XC riders to ride out there.
    thanks for the tip! I'll definitely check that place out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    tip

Ride the DPRT fast at night. (Bring repellent in case of flat or you might die from anemia.)

Trailville is the go-to for our area.

SSlow rider
    I thought deer grove closed down all their singletrack..? I kept hearing how it's illegal to ride any of hte good trails there.
    Sadly, that's pretty much true.

cambr.org is a good resource. It has a trail guide section that lists lots of trails. There's also a group of guys on there that would be happy to show you around any trail in the area.

Another good trail that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is Saw Wee Kee in Oswego. It's all up and down and much of it is technical. I was just there last night and it's in great shape.

mtbr member
    There are a few minor *legal* single track sections still in deer grove that are maintained by CAMBR (thanks volunteers). Nothing major or too exciting unfortunately.

I have heard of some trails just over the border in kenosha by the university of wisco-parkside. Has anyone on here ridden these? Was thinking of driving up one day after work.

newble
    Jul 2009
    What about beula In Zion?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 550
    What about beula In Zion?

Havent been there, here is a link to the info and trail map. Might venture up there after work next week. I work in lake forest so it is fairly close.

http://www.trailville.com/wiki/IL_La...ah_Park_Trails

newble
    Jul 2009
    Yeah I want to hit it up too. I work in VernonHIlls and live in Lake villa.

Mcdonalds woods is ok.

I have heard Buela is technical (er)

mtbr member
    I hear ya. According to that trail map, there are a lot of areas marked "technical trails"; who knows though. I am going to try to hit up Imagination Glen (i guess just outside portage indiana) tomorrow, looks pretty good. You ever go out that way?

newble
    Jul 2009
    Nah, just got into trail riding fairly recent. Picked up an SS 29er. I used to dable a little bit but I'm getting more serious now. My buddies and I did From Lake Cook road, to Michigan Ave in the city last weekend. The south part of the DPRT is pretty sweet.

mtbr member
    Yeah. I just started getting heavy into it this year as well. My brother rides like everyday (nice not having a job) but i really can only get out after work. I try to get up to kettle every other weekend. That is where it is at in this area. The blue loop there is so much fun compared to anything else around here, at least that i have ridden. Next time up there i am going to try the blue loop --> connector trail --> emma carlin trail and back.

That lake cook to the city sounds like a hell of a ride. The fox river trail is nice for that kind of thing too. I rode from west dundee to geneva and back a week or two ago. Its a nice little ride but it makes me want a road bike. I just want to haul ass on those trails you know. I do a few of those rides just for the exercise, but I really enjoy riding trails and single track a lot more. No cars, less people.

One of my buddies lives in desplaines right near the trail. People always try to develop single track down there, but flooding is a huge issue and the land is only really dry enough to ride for just a few months out of the year.

newble
    Jul 2009
    single track is bad ass. I got to exp. that on the DPRT south last weekend for the first time.

I just wish there were more technical trails around here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 550

I just wish there were more technical trails around here.

Give yourself a big treat. Rent a house with three friends or so for a week up in Chequamegon Nat'l Forest in WI.

http://www.bearcountrysportinggoods....tals/kamer.htm

A little fishing and swimming and over a hundred miles of well-marked technical singletrack (and even more fire roads) like you wouldn't believe.

http://www.cambatrails.org/

A long drive that is so worth it. You can rent fullies if you want them at New Moon.

http://www.newmoonski.com/

Maybe with you, like us, it will become an annual trip to look very forward to.

Start at the Townhall Trailhead if I were you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast