West Branch State Park

Printable View

  • 07-21-2011
    jeffw-13
    Headed up there Saturday morning. Are there any maps of the new section yet? Trailhead is up Porter road on the left, correct?

    Im gonna ride lakeside, then the new section, then the chunky goodness on the other side back to the lot
  • 07-21-2011
    slayer27
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Headed up there Saturday morning. Are there any maps of the new section yet? Trailhead is up Porter road on the left, correct?

    Im gonna ride lakeside, then the new section, then the chunky goodness on the other side back to the lot

    Yeah Jeff it's really easy to find the new trail. Just head south on porter going up the hill and just before the crest it will be on your left.

    I think the trail flows better clockwise. Have fun!
  • 07-22-2011
    jeffw-13
    Thanks!
  • 07-22-2011
    swampboy62
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Headed up there Saturday morning. Are there any maps of the new section yet? Trailhead is up Porter road on the left, correct?

    Im gonna ride lakeside, then the new section, then the chunky goodness on the other side back to the lot

    I've updated the map for 2011 and put a copy in my facebook map gallery (it's the first map I think)

    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3eddc7b&type=1

    Also - after answering a bunch of questions about routes for newbies, or tech riders etc etc - I've made some map routes and put them in their own folder

    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...bf0c915&type=1

    I'm headed out there to ride in about three hours. Hell yeah.

    Steve Z
  • 07-23-2011
    jeffw-13
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by swampboy62 View Post
    I've updated the map for 2011 and put a copy in my facebook map gallery (it's the first map I think)

    You rock!

    Barely 5 minutes into the new section I ran over a stick & ripped the rear derailleur off my bike. Single speeded it as best i could back to the parking lot (32/12) You beat me this time, Quarry Trail, next time you wont be so lucky :skep:
  • 07-25-2011
    swampboy62
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    You rock!

    Barely 5 minutes into the new section I ran over a stick & ripped the rear derailleur off my bike. Single speeded it as best i could back to the parking lot (32/12) You beat me this time, Quarry Trail, next time you wont be so lucky :skep:

    Glad it was some help.

    That trail is getting a reputation as a bike breaker, especially for derailleurs. Busted one myself there the very first time I tried riding the new trail.

    Still lots of fun...

    Steve Z
  • 07-25-2011
    Bataivah
    I rode the new trail clockwise and I did'nt like it too much. I'll need to do it counter cw next to tell for sure. Seems CCW may be better to me.
  • 03-22-2012
    bean.
    Does anybody know when the trails open up? Just getting started into mtb in the youngstown area, looking forward to check out the west branch.
  • 03-22-2012
    swampboy62
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bean. View Post
    Does anybody know when the trails open up? Just getting started into mtb in the youngstown area, looking forward to check out the west branch.

    The policy says closed till the 3rd Saturday in May (geez that seems like a LONG time).

    West Branch MTB Trail Season Trail Closure Policy

    According to my calendar that's May 19.

    Time to explore the other options in the area. Mahoning County has no legal mtb trails (truly a crock of s*** considering the size of Mill Creek Park). I've been hitting up Beaver Creek and Moraine for rides lately. Also, if you're in Y'town in may be worth your while to head over to West Park Nature Center, across the road from New Castle Airport. The trails aren't that tough or that long, but they're not closed.

    Good luck and good riding.

    Steve Z
  • 05-13-2012
    swampboy62
    Go ride!
    In case there are riders on here who don't frequent the CAMBA board, and may have missed it -

    WEST BRANCH TRAILS ARE OPEN EARLY THIS YEAR -

    and they're even in pretty good condition. The East Davis trails are still closed (yellow tape is across the entrance), since they stay wet a little longer. But Quarry is 100%, and the rest of lakeside is probably close.

    Nice to have the local trails open again.

    Steve Z
  • 05-21-2012
    2fargon
    Did 2 loops at West Branch on Saturday and I really liked it. I wasn't real into the rock gardens when I first got there but I was loving them by the end of the day. I would have done a 3rd lap if I had the time! Definitely a cool switch from my regular trails like Mohican and Dillon.
  • 06-19-2012
    bacon11
    Is there a trail map for West Branch out there somewhere? I've only been there once a couple years ago, fell out of biking, and now I'm getting back into it. A friend has been wanting to go as well but doesn't want to go alone. We're looking to stay towards the beginner stuff...
  • 06-20-2012
    Glynis27
    Newest map I know of...
    West Branch Map
  • 07-15-2012
    a a r o n
    cant wait to hit this place up
  • 09-13-2012
    theironpusher
    Has anyone been to WB this week? I'm wondering if it's open after all that rain, I'll be racing Sunday and was thinking of heading there tomorrow in the AM to get a few laps in.
  • 09-13-2012
    swampboy62
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by theironpusher View Post
    Has anyone been to WB this week? I'm wondering if it's open after all that rain, I'll be racing Sunday and was thinking of heading there tomorrow in the AM to get a few laps in.

    It's always open during summer, but whether the trails are good is another question. There was a post on the OMBA trail conditions forum

    Ohio Mountain Bike Association • View forum - Trail Comments & Damage Reports

    the other day saying that it was pretty soft & slick out there, but that was on Monday. I'd guess that after three more days of sun and breeze that the trail is in solid condition for the most part.

    Steve Z
  • 09-13-2012
    plech
    I rode it last night and it's got a few wet spots but not bad, there's a big tree down on the lake side and another one on one of the snowmobile trails.
  • 01-16-2013
    Nicholas_OST
    The latest trail conditions are posted on the Ohio Singletrack website,
  • 01-19-2013
    swampboy62
    I was out there Thursday. Quarry Trail is nice and solid, with one tree still down on the lower line around back of the hill. The only mud was on the trail connecting up with the road.

    Gorgeside and lakeside trails are NOT good to ride yet - way too many wet spots.

    Steve Z