Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Yeah, the Reagan park trail across the street is the only good one of them all IMO. The first time I went there I could'nt find it. It's is a good trail for a ridged fork bike though. If I lived in the Medina area I would ride it regular for a workout but driving an hour or more to get there, I would rather do the Knob or Mohican. The trails on the parking lot side are good for getting the kids into off road riding. I did have fun ripping through the small rolling hills when I was there. I tend to like trails that are out in the middle of the woods and far away from towns and people though. Living right up the road from West Branch, I don't have a need to go too many other places all the time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bataivah
    I tend to like trails that are out in the middle of the woods and far away from towns and people though.
    Have you been to Mohicah Wilderness? (not the State Park) I bet you'd like it.
    It's one of the few places in the area that feels remote, and "out-there" to me.
    A great "tech-riding" trail, too.

What?
    Yeah, I cross over to the Reagan side. I have been riding there since before the Huffman park side was around( I am glad they added it) The Reagan side is definitely more fun to ride then the Huffman side, but it still leave me wanting more. I liked Reagan side more when it was longer, back when part of it was on private property and you went down the steep hill by the football field. I thought the bulls eye on the tree was funny.

I think part of the reason I like the Knob, more then Reagan is because the type of rider I am. I ride a 6'' full suspension bike with flats and jump everything I find, fly down hills(go DHing a few times a year), and climb like im 80 If they added some man made stuff (teeter totters, skinnies and what not), I would probably like it more. Even so, I still ride at reagan 10-15 times a year, so its not as boring to me as a made it sound in my other post.

mtbr member
    Wow! A 6" FS at Reagan is alot of bike for that trail. After I rode it I wished I took my Full ridged with me so I could of blew the dust off of it (Like I posted earlier). I did'nt need any suspension at all and it felt like it might of been more fun on the old vintage ride. It's not bad to have it there for people who live close to take a quik blast whenever they want. Plus alot of riders like that type of trail too.

What?
    a 6" bike is to much bike for most the trails around here, but I only have one bike and use it at 7 springs and snow shoe, so I wanted something that was a jack of all trades type bike.

mtbr member
    No doubt! All Mountain is ALL MOUNTAIN. Is 6" good enough for DH or do you have to slow down a hair. I have 0" in the rear and 4" in the front so DH riding is'nt happening for me. Also 6" rotors. I can't see spending $50-$100 to rent a bike for a day! So I'm stuck with the XC/Trail riding for now. It would be great to have one for every occasion!

What?
    6" is plenty for 7 springs. I took a hard tail dj bike there the first time I went there. it would be nice to have more at snow shoe, but its decent with only 6"

mtbr member
    I was'nt sure how compatable an all mountain was with DHing. If I had larger rotors I would give it a try on my hard tail XC.

What?
    What kind of bike do you have? 7 springs is pretty tame for DH riding. I see people on XC bikes there when I am go. ( Although I think they have a XC trail somewhere, But these guys are riding the DH trails) My wife goes with her 4'' XC bike with 160mm rotors. The first time I went I had 160mm rotors on BB7 brakes and it did the job.

Random video I found, it shows what its like pretty well(although they took the hard expert trail at the very end):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMo7_DsEELw

mtbr member
    I have a Giant XTC 26" with 4" Dart 3's on it. I may step up the front forks to a Marzocchi Drop Off 6". That's why I was thinking the brakes were too wimpy for DH. I've backpacked across 7 springs resort before but I never acually rode a bike there.

What?
    I can see not wanting to go there with a dart 3. I wouldn't get a 150mm fork for your bike though. it will through the geometry off and put a lot of extra stress on the head tube. 130 would be the most I would put on a bike that came with 100mm fork. A 32mm stanchion fork with 120-130 mm travel should be plenty for most riding conditions.

mtbr member
    I had a feeling that a 6" fork may be too much for a bike with 4" stock fork. The deal is so good for $180 for a $475 fork! I might get it for a future All Mountain build If I can swing the cash. I hate to miss out on the deal!

What?
    Hard to pass up a deal like that!

mtbr member
    Yea, but since their too tall I'm thinking Marzocchi 33's with the same travel (100mm)
    for $150. Retail $375 I think!

What?
    You just missed out on some great deals on some of Manitou's forks. A few places were selling 2010 Manitou Matches and Drakes(now called the Minute expert) for under 200 bucks. They have one of the best dampers out right now (Absolute +). Its kinda a cross between Rock Shox Black Box Motion Control and Mission Control in design. Its the best performing damper in forks under 450$(msrp) right now.

mtbr member
    Who was selling those? Online?

What?
    They were online. I think it was at ediscountbike.com fall is the best time to buy. prices are high in the spring since the new stuff just came out and everyone is getting there bikes ready for spring.

Hermit
    In case yinz missed it, the trails at West Branch are finally open as of Monday. That means the new trail on the east end off of Porter Road is open to ride. Hit it up on Monday evening - this is one FANTASTIC trail, much different than the other rocky trails at WB. Look for the trailhead off of Porter Road on the right.

I have a map with the new trail in my FB map gallery (it's the first one):

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...5&l=ad33eddc7b

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I just went to West Branch today with my buddy. We did the whole lake side trail, and then went straight to the new quarry trail off of Porter Road. It was a blast, but there were 5 or 6 downed trees on the trail... One of which was MASSIVE! It was definitely a lot of fun though. Tons of rocks!

{Believeland}
    The new quarry trail is awesome! very well put together and planned out..... i really enjoyed that it incorporates not only as many rocks as possible, but in every size shape and form. you really never know what you'll be hit with next! That being said though, it is very rideable and no significant climbs, yet somehow you wind up at the top of hill and majority of the trail seems to be pointing down. Absolutely gorgeous too, once you get onto the trail it seems almost as if it weren't located at west branch at all. With this new addition west branch has become what i feel is easily one of the best trail systems the state has to offer. cheers!
    ride fast.... live slow

Hermit
    Quote Originally Posted by XCkiller View Post
    The new quarry trail is awesome! very well put together and planned out..... i really enjoyed that it incorporates not only as many rocks as possible, but in every size shape and form. you really never know what you'll be hit with next! That being said though, it is very rideable and no significant climbs, yet somehow you wind up at the top of hill and majority of the trail seems to be pointing down. Absolutely gorgeous too, once you get onto the trail it seems almost as if it weren't located at west branch at all. With this new addition west branch has become what i feel is easily one of the best trail systems the state has to offer. cheers!
    I'd have to agree with your opinion. With the new trail, and the existing rocky sections south of Cable Line Rd, West Branch is as good as any of the western PA trails that I've ridden. You've got to hand it to CAMBA for having the vision to carry out something like this, and also for being able to raise the volunteers to get 2.5 miles of new trail built in just a couple of months. The first trail work day I was at for the new trail had at least 35 people working. Amazing.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry

My insignificant blog:

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    did my first blast of west branch yesterday. meet alot of really cool and nice people. cant wait to go back.

lil bit tricky on a DH bike but its all good
    i used to be a hot tar roofer, ya i remember that......day.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I love this trail. Plus it's only about 1/2 hr from home.
    If anyone needs/wants a riding buddy here or in this area (I'm in Youngstown) send me a PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    How many miles is the Lakeside trails? It is a beautiful place. I'm a beginner who is out of shape but did what I thought was most of it. The cool curved bridges and how it flows make it a xc dream.
    I like to ride my bike.

Hermit
    If you start at the mtb lot and ride in on the beginning of Two Mile (the F loop), and ride all the singletrack through E & D, coming out on Cable Line at D1, and then ride Cable Line back to the parking lot it's about 5.75 miles.

Those lakeside trails are great for learning. Lots of flowy sections, lots of roots to build skills, a dozen bridges and a couple of minor features to build confidence. And when you've had enough laps on the lakeside so that you're curious just what the "more difficult" trails are like - well, there's plenty of that as well.

And it just gets better every year, thanks to CAMBA.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry

My insignificant blog:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast