Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Good job! Two Rivers Bike Park - My Two Cents

MAP: Two Rivers Bike Park, Highlandville, MO (Click for Map)

Located in Highlandville, MO near Nixa and Ozark. 20 minutes South of Springfield.

Location Keywords: Branson, Joplin, Nixa, Ozark, SW Missouri, Springfield

VIDEO: Two Rivers Overview from Opening Day

I started riding in Colorado back in '98. I am definitely a Colorado trail spoiled brat. Moved to the Springfield area 3 years ago and was pretty disappointed with the riding here (Sac River mainly). I mean it was nice to have something to ride...but on the scale of comparison to what I was used to in and around Colorado Springs it was pretty mundane riding.

I've been to Two Rivers Bike Park three times in the last two weeks. I could not be more pleased, and it's a combination of things, not just the trails. This park is truly an absolute paradigm shift in MTB culture for the entire region. 90% of the credit goes to a few individuals that crafted the vision and threw all in with planning, "cheer leading" volunteerism, time, blood, sweat and tears.

Right at the trail head there is a great beginner skills area where you can try out skinnies (ladder bridges), teeters, drops, rocks, berms, etc. There is a "hang out zone" on the other side of the entrance. Picture a big tin sided barn that's been reworked with a covered porch, benches, huge fans to keep a nice cooling breeze running through the place...not to mention a very well stocked bike wrenching zone. Bike stands, tools, etc. The hang out zone even has WiFi...how nuts is that?

There is a short beginner's Slope Style course and a Downhill Run with plans for a much more technical and much longer Downhill Run for the future (I even heard talk of gap jumps, not table tops as on the current DH run. The current single track is top notch, armored where needed for erosion control, sweet bench cut throughout most of the trails.

The one Black Diamond trail (The Bluff Line) is sweet and had me smiling, again...while not quite on the scale of technical difficulty of my normal haunts in Colorado Springs...for this region I am VERY pleased. It has some nice technical features that had me off the back of my seat and some genuine exposure. Plans for the next year are to add several more miles along the back section of the property in more rugged terrain for more of a "double black diamond" section of single track. From my understanding...and I will be there swinging shovels this time...there should be a lot of rock gardens, ledges, lifts, drops, etc.

I have never been that comfortable in the air on the bike, I don't mind drops up in the 3 to 4ft range, but getting air off a real kicker has always scared the SHITE out of me. After hitting the DH run a few times...I actually cleared two of the table top jumps. Now...these are not HUGE Whistleresque tables, but they still have 3 to 5ft tops. The DH trail has a great flow and it just felt right so I went for it. I will bring armor next time...and I might get into real trouble because we all know...armor gives you more brave than your skills can handle sometimes. We'll see.

Looking forward to see the gap jumps on the planned much longer DH run. I don't know how I feel about doing gaps now...but table tops scared me too not so long ago.

The rest of the trails? I can just say that there is a great lung buster of a climb up the West Trail that winds it's way eventually back to the top of the DH and SS runs. From the Trail Head to a short connector, to the Bluff Line, up all the switch backs and staying on the trail all the way to the top of the SS run is a solid 6.5 miles...all the way back to the trail head is about 7 if you take the SS run. This place is BEGGING for a 24hr race! I certainly wouldn't be competitive...but I'd enter it with some other old fat farts like myself.

Limited camping is allowed, rules are being worked out. Check in with the folks at TrailSpring for more details on camping. There is a huge field just the other side of the hang out zone that is begging for a 24hr camping village.

What more can I say? GO RIDE THIS PARK. Not "soon"...but NOW.
    Last edited by bikeCOLORADO; 09-04-2013 at 04:23 AM. Reason: Spelling check!
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I agree with a 24 hr race. Is there enough trail for a hour and thirty to hour forteyfive minute lap time. This worked good at Moab.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rmbspicerider View Post
    I agree with a 24 hr race. Is there enough trail for a hour and thirty to hour forteyfive minute lap time. This worked good at Moab.
    LOL. That all depends on who's riding the lap! I did the 24 Hours of Winter Park back in...jeez forever ago (2002). Our entire TEAM completed 20 laps (5 laps each)....while Tinker Juarez managed to pass me every time I was on the course and did TWENTY SEVEN laps ON HIS OWN.

So...that being said, by linking all the trails together I'm pretty sure FAST lap times (elite class) would be in the sub 1 hour range, probably looking at 7.5 to 9 miles per lap. The "mild" DH course could be included with a climb right back up using the singletrack. My laps in Winter Park were about 50 minutes as best I can remember.
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

mtbr member
    Here is the "preview video"...
    Two Rivers Park - Trail Spring Preview - YouTube

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    You are totally missing my point. I think two rivers would make a fun place for a 24hr race. Short lap time are great if you have the legs. Longer ones are a bit more challenging. I was at Moab the first time in 2004.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Any remote chance Two Rivers will be dry enough to ride tomorrow (Nov. 2nd)? Thanks!

mtbr member
    You can keep tabs on the park conditions through the FB page. They will generally post if the trails are closed.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Trail...08669732543779

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I am going to have to check this place out this year. Found some good videos showing more landscape so it looks like it's worth a drive to tear it up and ride/video the place.

I'm in St. Louis, any other recommended trails near this I could hit while i'm down that way, doesn't have to be super close it'll be an all day/weekend trip around the area.

Looking for more trails like Bike Parks but open to other scenic trails with nice rides.

Here in STL area we ride Castlewood, Klondike, Matson Hill etc.

mtbr member
    Little Sac River is on the north side of Springfield...but not a very exciting place to ride.

Check in with the local trail gurus before you head down. Adam Carsey lives in the farm house on-site (at Two Rivers). Great host and knows every rock and pebble in the park.

https://www.facebook.com/adam.carsey?fref=ts

mtbr member
    Weather is being the normal early spring psychotic lately. 68 today, 43 or so tomorrow with rain, 16 for a low tomorrow night with 1"-3" of snow, then 55 on Monday, and mid-upper 60's all next week.
    Went to Busiek yesterday, was mostly dry and had a blast just riding around by myself. Creeks are up enough that you're going to get wet crossing to the east side trails, but the west end was some good rocky fun.
    Think I'll ride at Sac today, am hearing that it's dried out pretty good and I haven't been there since late last summer.
    Two Rivers is a bit messed up at the moment due to a washed out section of the trail making a full round of the West Loop impossible. Trail work day was scheduled for tomorrow, but with a 90% chance of rain all day it's doubtful that much will get done (other than more wash outs).
    2013 Salsa El Mariachi 29er
    1995 Giant CFR Team Road Bike
    2001 Bianchi Volpe
    2009 KX250F ... 2004 KDX200

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Love it as well. The DH run is a hoot. Problem for me is 2R is a lil over 2 hours drive and I can hit NWA in 1.5. Slaughter Pen and Blowing Springs are hard to beat and so rocky that recent rainfall is nearly a nonfactor.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I am 4hrs away, it's worth the drive right?

Do I need to call someone in advance? I am asking because it sounds like this is a guys farm or does he just live in the old farm house?

Are the trails ready to rip? I'm hoping me and my buddy can make it down in the next few weeks if the place is good to go.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    If u go to Trailspring FB page you can message for trail conditions. I wanted to go on Tuesday and was pm'ing Monday night and got very quick replies. Should be largely good to go at this point, but the DH run was closed for some maintenance work iirc.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ashaw View Post
    If u go to Trailspring FB page you can message for trail conditions. I wanted to go on Tuesday and was pm'ing Monday night and got very quick replies. Should be largely good to go at this point, but the DH run was closed for some maintenance work iirc.
    Hey thanks! I will go check out their FB page! We are planning on getting out that way within the next month, gotta get in some good practice before we hit up Colorado Bike parks in July!! Seems like any real DH type places are a 4 hr trip for us (STL), Three Rivers is 4 hrs to the west and Fort Duffield is about 4 hrs to the southeast from us. We have some nice trails here but places like Duffield are a lot of fun hitting bigger ramps/drops!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I think we definitely want to wait until the DH trail is open before we come!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Ya that's my thoughts as well. So where is Duffield exactly?
    I have a meetng in Nashville this summer and need to research trails in that area.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    It's called Fort Duffield and it is in "West Point, Kentucky". Sick place to ride, check out youtube for video's on Fort Duffield's "Jump Line". It's a really cool place to ride, berms, skills sections, ramps, drops etc. Just wish it was closer.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Sounds rad! I'll look it up. Make sure ya post up when you nail down a 2R date. Got a Carbine 275 ordered and hoping to make 2R it's inaugural outing

Team 9.8
    Very glad you posted this. My family is from Kansas so I will be making the trek out there to ride. The only other place I have seen that has decent DH is Turkey Mountain in Tulsa, OK or Landhal bike park in Kansas City, MO.

If you are ever in the Kansas City area, I would for sure visit Landhal, otherwise Two Rivers looks AWESOME! I'll be visiting in May, coming from Colorado just as you were.

Here is a sample of Landhal if you have never been

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo0ALB6Nav8

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I love Landahl, but haven't been in quite a while. The DHish run was just a rumor last I knew. Glad to see there is some new stuff to check out.

Team 9.8
    Oh yeah, Ish is good to go, it's only about 45 seconds long, but better than anything else in the area really

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Just curious. Do trail conditions look good to GO for this Saturday. Thinking about coming down to experience the Park this Saturday?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Just re-read the thread above, I'll go check out Trailsprings FB page. Hopefully it;s good to go, i'm ready to tear it up!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Should be good! Hopefully DH is open

mtbr member
    I rode there Sunday. Conditions were great. No rain down there since then that I'm aware of. Some possible showers Friday though. Check in before you head down to be sure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast