mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Trip to Indiana, what are some good trails?

So every year my family and I travel back to Indiana for the 4th of July to see relatives. This year my dad and I are bringing our mountain bikes and we are driving from the Washington D.C. area.

For the first week we are staying in Muncie and the second week at our cousins lake house in Greensburg

I have been looking up trails online but I would like some recommendations that are not to far from those locations listed above and are medium difficulty.Any recommendations are appreciated,

Trails I have found so far are Rangeline and Versailles State Park, can anyone comment on these trails?
    [SIZE="2"]2009 Trek 6700D [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Brown County State Park in Nashville, IN is some of the best riding in the midwest. several levels of difficulty and well over 20 mi of trail. try www.browncountymountainbiking.com Not far from Greensburg

Versailles is great too. you can read more about it (and BCSP) at www.hmba.org

You can't go wrong at either of these. Incredibly well built trails, and all the fun you can stand.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Muncie is a relatively poor spot in the state for mountain biking. There are some trails in New Castle (Westwood Park), about 30 minutes south of Muncie. In town, there is a rails-to-trails project that takes you out to the reservoir on the White River.

About an hour north there are trails around the Huntington Reservoir (Little Turtle SRA or Kekionga depending on which map you look at) and the Salamonie Reservoir. There's our trails at Franke Park in Fort Wayne, about 1.5 hours from Muncie and Winona Lake which is 2 hours away.

To the south, there's Brown County SP in Nashville, IN, not far from Bloomington. It's about 2 - 2.5 hours from Muncie, well worth the drive.

Indiana Mountain Bike Trails from HMBA

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the input, I think I will definitely go to Brown County State Park and Versailles One of my relatives lives in Indy and suggested a trail called Town Run Trail Park? How is this place for riding?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Town Run is a fun 6~7 miles off road in the city. Some view it as a huge BMX track.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Versailles State Park is closest to Greensburg, a 30 minute drive. It's probably over an hour drive to Brown County park.

addicted to chunk
    Yep Versailles will be close, & a fun ride.
    Also have a look at Westwood.
    If you get far enough south Brown County is awesome, but it's raining a bunch here now so likely need a day to dry out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Well I am back from my trip and thanks everyone for your input. I will definitely bring back my mountain bike next trip to Indiana. I was so busy my dad and I were only able to make it to Versailles State Park twice in the morning and it was about 45 min from Greensburg area. Versailles is an awesome trail system it reminded me of what I am used to riding , but an hour north of the Washington D.C. area. I had no idea there was mountain biking trails like that in Indiana. Next time I will definitely go to Brown County.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Glad you liked the Versailles trails........ You just missed the opening of the new Cliffside trail, which will be done in time for a DINO race, July 25th. That will put the trail system up to about 16 miles of purpose built mountain bike trails.