The Silent Rider
    Nov 2004

Trails in Columbia, MO??

I'm planning on coming up to Columbia in a couple of weeks for a concert sandwiched between a couple days of riding. I have ridden Rock Bridge before and loved it. I want to ride a couple of different trails (Rhett's Run and Kelly Branch I'm almost positive about); however, I've looked at the trails on here and noticed there haven't been any reviews on some of the other trails in quite a few years. Are they still up and running or have they decayed and no longer being used? Are there new trails not listed? Any help would be appreciated.
    YETI 575
    TREK 4900
    GIANT OCR C2

Perpetual n00b
    Rode there last March when we had the heat wave. Rhetts Run was worth the drive. Kelly Branch I didn't really care for with all the ATV noise and what not. Rock Bridge is a pretty fun place to ride too. I really liked the Deer Run trail.
    When the chicks at school see how gay we are, they're gonna be all over us.

The Silent Rider
    Nov 2004
    Deer Run? I didn't see that on here or on any other trail site. Hidden gem?
    YETI 575
    TREK 4900
    GIANT OCR C2

Perpetual n00b
    It's one of the trails at Rock Bridge State Park. Park Trails | Missouri State Parks

The Silent Rider
    Nov 2004
    Ahhhhh. I'm pretty sure I rode it then. I was out there a couple of years ago getting ready for the races for the MO State games but the races was cancelled due to rain. I'm looking more for trails that I haven't ridden. Of course, like I said, I really enjoyed Rock Bridge and wouldn't mind doing it again if the other trails are a bust.
    YETI 575
    TREK 4900
    GIANT OCR C2

Probably drunk right now

Trails in Columbia, MO??

Head to St. Louis or KC? Plenty of singletrack there. Not so much in Columbia.

Sent from my rotary phone and compiled with a telegraph machine.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

The Silent Rider
    Nov 2004
    STL is on the list. Going to Columbia for a concert and taking advantage of the trip to get in some riding. KC is a good drive and if I plan on driving more than 3 hours from home to ride, I'll be riding in Colorado/Utah. Thanks though. I think i've got the trails I'm going to do up in Columbia picked out. Most of them are pretty short so I will be able to get a few trails in and make the trip worthwhile.
    YETI 575
    TREK 4900
    GIANT OCR C2

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Stop into the local bike shops. I grew up there but moved to Colorado 15 years ago because the mountain biking here involves real mountains. Check with the folks at Walt's Bike Shop (my former employer when I was in high school a couple decades ago). Also my dad is personal friends and riding buddies with the owner of cyclextreme. They can probably point you to some trails that I don't know about since I've been outta that scene for so long.

There used to be some singletrack back behind the soccer fields at Cosmo Park. I actually did some of the state games races on that course in the mid 90's. I remember it as being decent for middle of town(ish).

and DON'T FORGET Shakespeare's Pizza on 9th and Elm. Enjoy!

The Silent Rider
    Nov 2004
    I was thinking about stopping in to Walt's. As I remember they were the ones marking the race route for the games a few years back. I think I've got a plan mapped out with the time I have and it looks like most of the trails are pretty short which gives me time to hit a few more.

I used to live in the Springs. Man I miss the riding out that way!
    YETI 575
    TREK 4900
    GIANT OCR C2

mtbr member

Re: Trails in Columbia, MO??

Thanks for posting this, I was about to... Lol. I see that you live in St Roberts area, are there any good trails down that way? Don't mean to hijack your thread.

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by motoolfan View Post
    Thanks for posting this, I was about to... Lol. I see that you live in St Roberts area, are there any good trails down that way? Don't mean to hijack your thread.
    36 miles east of St. Roberts is the Forest City Trail in St. James. Very nice trail system.

mtbr member

Thanks for the info, will definitely check it on our next day trip.

The Silent Rider
    Nov 2004
    Forest City is a good trail with about 7.5 miles of trail or options to ride shorter. Not technical.

Also, there is a place we call Magruderville near Edgar Springs. It's private land and the owner built an 8 mile singletrack out there with the help of Route 66 bike shop. On Wednesdays he opens it up to the public. We usually bring food and drinks out because while people are riding, Tom Magruder (the owner) fires up the grill and firepit and cooks the meat that is brought out. We all usually hang out, drink and eat afterwards. Once he gets to know you, he may invite you out anytime you're in the area. This is a must ride if you are in the area!

Along with those trails, you have Kaintuck which is about 15 miles east of Saint Robert. I haven't been there in a few years but last time I rode out there I got in about 18 miles of trail by wandering around. Once you get to the top of the climb there it opens up for some decent riding.

Lions park in Rolla. It's a small 3 mile singletrack trail that is not technical at all. Good thing about this trail is, I don't think you're any farther than a 1/4 mile from your vehicle anywhere on the trail.

Up in the Lake of the Ozarks (about an hour from Saint Robert) there are 3 trails, you have Bittersweet, which is a trail that kind of poaches of some of the back yards of locals. I haven't been up there in a while but have never had an issue riding there. You also have Honey Run which is a must ride up there. You have several options with an out and back, south and north loop. Total trail is about 14 miles. This is also not technical.

Cole Creek is about 30 minutes west of Saint Robert. I haven't ridden the entire trail out there but it seems pretty decent.

There is another called Sandstone on Fort Leonard Wood. It's basically a 1 mile hiking trail.
    YETI 575
    TREK 4900
    GIANT OCR C2

The Silent Rider
    Nov 2004
    I forgot to add 4 winds up at Lake of the Ozarks. It's a multiuse trail. If my memory is good, it's about 12 miles or so. The trail has been chewed up by the horses but they race out there once in a while. Bring some sort of tick spray or something. I can only guess about the number of ticks I pulled off in one ride out there. It was easily well over 100!
    YETI 575
    TREK 4900
    GIANT OCR C2

mtbr member

Wow, thanks! Great info!