mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Time to back up the tough talk!

As the President of an IMBA Chapter, I hear a lot of tough talk from the peanut gallery about IMBA Style trails not being hard enough. So here is your chance to back up your smack talk.

Home

This time trial is on the loved/hated, unnecessarily difficult trail known as Schooner Trace.

It is an IMBA style trail, so how hard can it be? This event is part of the Great Lake's Regional Summit, so here is your chance to prove IMBA trails are too easy by cleaning Schooner with a fast time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1070712-M.jpg 
Views:	381 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	796400

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Can't ride it this year, but if the time trial is held again next year, I am up for it.
    I will be there to spectate, though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Schooner is a great fun trail. I would be very surprised to see anyone clean it first try, prob not even on their 10th try. The 2 days I have road it the rocks were wet and traction was limited to say the least. Overall that trail and all the trails at Brown Co were very impressive...this coming from someone who took 2 years off to ride out west and has hit up some serious stuff.
    www.quinnphoto.smugmug.com
    07 S-Works Enduro SL - Sold
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold
    2012 Stumpy EVO 29er frame up build

mtbr member
    Awesome trail. I too, have only tried it when the rocks were still moist. LOTS of painful falling as a result.

I really want to swing by, just to spectate, if nothing else. Problem is, I'm in Columbus, IN right now, and trails are all status RED. Planning on running by LBL, down thru Birmingham for Coldwater Mtn, then Tanasi by Chatanooga, and circling my way back to Michigan. Making it to the Shakedown is likely not in the cards for me.

If you happen to check this by tomorrow, IndyTrekRacer, I'm curious what trails are most resilient in the area. I've heard maybe Nebo and Gnawbone. I'm considering taking a look at Nebo in the AM, before pressing on. Will it be in passable shape?

mtbr member
    Is there anything in the rules to keep it from just becoming a CX type race where guys jump off and run every obstacle? Something to reward those who actually ride the course; maybe time penalties for dismounting or something to that effect.
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed sheep, contesting the vote.

mtbr member extraordinair
    From what I read you get time bonuses for clearing certain sections or obstacles. I wish I was around this weekend to do this. I love that trail!
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    From the HMBA.org web site:

The Sub-9 Schooner Shakedown is an individual, time-trial, point to point race. Racers will compete against a clock while additional time bonuses are awarded for clearing the most difficult obstacles along the course. The 2013 course will feature a technically demanding, 3-mile section on the double-black diamond, Schooner Trace mountain bike trail. Riders will encounter natural rock outcrops combined with hand placed rock work to challenge even the most experienced - with plenty of penalty for failure in these hard-to-access ravines.

Racing action begins at 5 p.m. All the details about the race can be found at Home or check out all the summit details in our Events section!

NMBP
    Looks like some rain starting today and continuing through Saturday. Any thoughts on the trail being ok to ride on Saturday? I hate to make the trip from Ohio if the trails are in bad shape. We are also planning to ride Versailles on Friday if possible. Thanks.

Time to back up the tough talk!

Great race! I spectated, of course. Was nice right up until start time and then it rained most of the race before dying out for good post race party weather.

The course got slick but not too bad in the spots I walked looking for good places to view the action. Loved the HAB finish. Riders were toast and a lot of them trudged. I honestly thought walking was more treacherous. It's too bad none of the guys with fat bikes were racing (a fatback, mukluk, and a pugs iirc). I think they'd have done well.