mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Thoughts on a rally type event? Like motorcycle enduro format.

A lot of guys that ride mountainbikes came from an off-road motorcyle culture, like myself. How many are familiar with how a motorcycle enduro works? I always thought it would be a great format to apply to XC MTB. Has it been done, and I'm just in the dark?

For those not familiar, in a nutshell:
    It resembles the current Ultra races that have become popular.
    Intersections, road crossings, and turns are numbered to keep all on course, but the entire course has a defined speed average a rider is judged by.
    Secret checkpoints are scattered throughout, and a rider is penalized if he is slower, or faster, than his scheduled time of arrival at any given point.

Basically, it makes you think about what you're doing, rather than just put your head down and hammer. True, the fast guys will do best most of the time, but...if they have a brain fart, and arrive too soon to a check, they get penalized for it. It levels the playing field a bit.

The penalties are minutes lost, and the winner is the finisher with the fewest minutes lost.

Motorcyclists have been doing enduros for years, and there is more to it than what I described, but it can be simplified for MTBers. Required equipment would be a cheap digital watch on the handlebars, and a route sheet taped to the bars.

Great way to combine off-road sections, with road routes, to connect them.

Thinking of maybe trying something on a friendly level, to see if it's doable?

Thoughts????? Be nice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I've heard a lot of good feedback in some other forums about this, so I'm going to try and actually make one of these experiments occur, in a couple weeks, October 30.

Lake Hope State Park, near Athens and Chillicothe, Ohio, plan on a "fun run". A moto-type enduro, complete with secret checks, 15-20 miles, off-road.
    No fees, just something different and unusual. All you need is a digital watch, and your own water, food, gels, etc.

The worst that can happen is you still get to ride your bike?

Monsoon will cancel.

I'll post updates closer to the 30th.

mtbr member
    Awesome idea! My family has a strong motorcycle enduro background, some of my best memories as a kid were hiking up in our woods to watch the bikes go by!
    Lake Hope is a great place to have the event also.

Professional Crastinator
    Great idea.
    I think the Wilderness 101 is like that. And the SORBA guys around Pisgah do one that lasts all day with 2-rider teams. I think that one has some funny penalties IIRC (I think it involved pickled eggs, or slingshots, or blindfolds, or some craziness).
    Never had time to do one, though.

-F

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    I've never ridden lake hope, nor could I make it this year. But I'd be a regular if it were an annual event. Sounds like a great idea.
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper expert 29
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez