mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Supported group ride opportunity....Cave Run Lake near Morehead, KY

Hey Guys and Gals,
    When I was a kid I used to take part in bike-a-thons to benefit a children's charity organization. It was always a very fun day and my friends and I would all ride way more then we figured we could, everyone left feeling good about themselves and what they did to help. I have been thinking for some months, why the heck not do this as adults and have a great day of Mountain biking and raise a little money to help. This week I got my acceptance to the Leadville 100 MTB race this year in August, along the way I am trying to raise money for the Livestrong challenge to help fight cancer. So here's my plan (still a little rough).

Saturday March 21st, I'll be riding loops of the Lakeview, Big Limestone, Sheltowee trails at Cave Run Lake in the Daniel Boone National Forest in Morehead. This loop is about 16 miles and includes 3780 ft. of climbing which is more climbing per mile than Leadville (if you believe my Garmin Forerunner). I will set up a big event type tent complete with tables, heaters, snacks, food, drinks, etc. at the end of FS road 16, a great start/stop point along the lap. I'll be providing all of the food/drinks/heaters, etc. If you would like to ride along and see how many miles you can put in during the day then all I ask that you do is go to my livestrong page (http://philly09.livestrong.org/jpatrickcollins) and donate as much as you feel comfortable donating to the cause (completely tax deductible). I'll be providing food and support for the entire day and hey, I'm not making money here just trying to make money for Livestrong. Again, this isn't a race, there are no trophies nor is there a winner, this is simply a group of like minded individuals getting together for a ride. I'm hoping we can have a big turnout from around the state and neighboring states, if you want to ride 16 or 100 miles or just hang out the rest of the day that's fine, come out, meet some folks that you kind of know through the forum and help a good cause.

I'll post more later with a deadline for donating on the livestrong site so I can have time to set up the appropriate amount of food, tables, etc. More info to come, but mark your calendars today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you think you might be interested or have any questions shoot me a PM and I'll hook you up with any answers I have.

Also, again this is a group ride, not a race, Mountain biking can be dangerous, if you can lay off of the brakes you'll likely hit 30mph going down the Sheltowee, if you crash everyone will help but you're on your own as far as liability is concerned. Sad I had to even type that but hey...

Edit: Some questions I had asked on another forum

What is your average laptime here? I am guessing 1:30 on this one, however, no hard data

Where the heck is this place? Off of exit 133 on I-64 in Eastern KY about 2 hours from Louisville, 1 hour from Lexington, KY.

How early do you plan to get started? I am planning on being set up with support up top by 7:00, feel free to start anytime.

How late will you keep going? Sunrise: 7:36am, Sunset: 7:46pm I will start to tear down the tent around 7:00 as I don't want to pack up in the dark, anyone can ride as long as they like as folks will be parked at the Visitor's Center.

Amount of Donation? I would like to see folks give $50 but with the economy being what it is I would hate for someone to not come if they couldn't give that much. But hey, don't show up and eat all the food and then give $5 ha ha ha

How technical is the trail? I wouldn't call it technical at all, the climbing is forest service road for the most part, there are some steep singletrack climbs to keep it interesting and a BLAZING downhill that will make your cheeks hurt from the permagrin.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    This ride is a definite must if you will be in the area. This loop is one of the best in the state. Awesome singletrack climb, tons of ridge top riding, and some downhills that will remind you of all the reasons why you mountain bike. Plus, you will help out a good cause. Come on out and play if you can.
    Ain't Life Grand!

Rogue Warrior&Anarchist
    Sounds awesome! I went down last summer by the Iron Furnace. Compared to Cincy area trails, these are the real deal. Make sure you bring extra tubes and all that good stuff due to the thorns. You really have to be in shape to ride this network, after all it's in the foothills of the Appalachians. Gives me something to train for.

I plan to go as long as I don't have to work and it's not storming and crap.
    Would just need directions to the exact spot where you plan to set up.
    mountain biking is not a crime, so quit giving me dirty looks before I bunnyhop your car

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Below is a map to the Visitor center where everyone will park, I will actually be setting up shop at the top of the loop so you'll have to ride half a loop to reach the aid station. The trails are marked fairly well and as it gets closer I'll post some better directions.
    Thanks,
    Pat

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...1&ie=UTF8&z=10

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I've had a couple good questions that I figured I would answer for anyone interested:
    Singlespeed friendly? - I would say yes, the majority of the climbing is forest service road so no big deal there. As long as you have the right gearing (sorry no help there from me, I'll be using gears, ha ha) you will be good to go.
    Trail Conditions - If you know Cave Run you know there are some trails that are slop fests up until mid-July from heavy horse utilization and damage. Luckily this loop isn't one of those, you could ride it after a hurricane as long as it didn't bring down a bunch of trees. There is likely to be one swampy section on an old FS road at the top that is about 50 yards long. Other than that it should be smooth sailing.

Even if you can't make it to this ride, if you live within a couple hours of Cave Run you owe it to yourself to get down there for a weekend, you can ride stuff on both sides of the lake with beautiful views, some technical sections and several blazing downhills it really is a hidden treasure that gets a lot of bad press because of horse damage (most of which is deserved) but there is always something to ride.

Riding or Drumming
    We rode this in late January and had a blast. We'll be back to ride it again soon.

Good luck with the ride !!
    Tallboy
    Salsa El Mariachi SS
    Salsa Vaya
    Salsa Mukluk
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks to the folks at Outragegis mapping, I managed to get a great deal on some of their Cave Run maps (which are awesome)

http://www.outragegis.com/store/prod...3&cat=3&page=1

I'll give one to the first 20 people who register and donate at least $50 on my Livestrong page. These maps are $12 normally I think. Huge thanks to Outragegis for helping this happen and cutting the price so much.

Rogue Warrior&Anarchist
    Quote Originally Posted by jpcoll01
    Thanks to the folks at Outragegis mapping, I managed to get a great deal on some of their Cave Run maps (which are awesome)

http://www.outragegis.com/store/prod...3&cat=3&page=1

I'll give one to the first 20 people who register and donate at least $50 on my Livestrong page. These maps are $12 normally I think. Huge thanks to Outragegis for helping this happen and cutting the price so much.

I'll second that, these maps are awesome! I ordered one of the Cave Run area last summer and the detail is amazing!
    mountain biking is not a crime, so quit giving me dirty looks before I bunnyhop your car