mtbr member

SS at France Park in Logansport, IN

Hi, I am going to race at France Park on Aug 16th. I have never ridden there before and will be riding an SS 29er. Does anyone else ride this style of bike there? If so, what gear ratio do you reccomend?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I haven't ridden France Park, but I have Winona Lake and the Outback on a SS 29r. I am currently pushing 32-17.

GDS
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Are you racing in the Tri race out there? I was wandering about france park as well.

mtbr member
    Yes, I am. I hear it's not an extreme aerobic challenge but I would like to be prepared so I don't have to walk and I'm not spinning out. Are planning on racing?

GDS
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yes I am. I guess doing a Tri on an SS can be a bit difficalt. Can be hard on the legs. I didn't train to well for this so I'm going to run 32X20 just to be safe (extremely salf). Its also my first tri and I might not make the swim. I ride 32x17/16 most of the time in Chi palos and the outback in portage.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Don't know much about SS, so I can't help you with the gear to run. But I'm very familiar with France Park. FP does have a couple of short steep climbs (can't imagine any SS gearing I couldn't push up them) and 1 or 2 areas (depending on the coarse they run) that you'll be walking up no matter what you ride. So my very NOVICE suggestion would be to just ride the gearing you normally run for Portage and you shouldn't have any trouble.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You will have no problem SS France park! Mostly flat with 2 hike a bikes no matter what bike your on! I'm not sure if the hike a bike hills are in the TRI but if not you have nothing to worry about! The XC race on Sunday will have the hike a bike hills!

R

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GDS
    Yes I am. I guess doing a Tri on an SS can be a bit difficalt. Can be hard on the legs. I didn't train to well for this so I'm going to run 32X20 just to be safe (extremely salf).
    How did that work out for you? I heard the course was really fast.