All-most Mountain

southern illinois/carbondale area trails

i will be in murphysboro in july for a family reunion. is there any good riding other than cedar and kinkade? what about in the little grand canyon area? im an intermediate rider and my GF is a beginner so im looking for something somewhat tame to pass the time.

thanks!

Master Blaster
    I dont suppose you are still around huh? I go to SIU and live in carbondale. I work in murphysboro too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazintrails
    I dont suppose you are still around huh? I go to SIU and live in carbondale. I work in murphysboro too.
    I am visiting for Labor Day weekend. Are there good trails around SIU?

Master Blaster
    yeah a lot of technical stuff, im not sure where you are from and if they would compare, but its really all i know

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The 51 side of Cedar is grown over a little bit when you get close to the orchard, but Cove and the 127 side are in great shape. Kinkaid is as well. Haven't been to the East side trails yet to know.

All-most Mountain
    Ok here i am a year later asking the same question. Didnt even end up going last year, but will be in Carbondale in July. Whats going on?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Riding

Camshaft when were you going to be in the area? My grandparents live near there so i would possibly be interested in swinging down there to ride as my new city (Terre Haute, IN) has no good riding for any great distance. I'm sure that the trails will take awhile to recover from the windstorm they had about a month ago, there were tons of trees everywhere and several cities were shut down without power and a curfew was enforced.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    We have been working every weekend to clear trees out of trails. We tackled the Cove Hollow trail system first. Right now we have probably cut over 200 trees out of the trail and have about 75% of the trail cleared. We are hoping to have Cove Hollow 100% clear in the next two weeks. I think Kinkaid is next on the list.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Alright, I would love to help, but between clearing out my granparent's farm the past several weekends, work in Terre Haute, and family/moving events in MI I won't be able to help out for awhile. But if you need some help after the 14th of June on weekends I would be ready and willing to come down and help, I'm really looking forward to riding those trails. Now if only I could find trails within half an hour away from Terre Haute, IN.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Check our local forum @ www.smbatrails.com for info on trail days and rides. We usually post up on there when we are getting something lined up.

All-most Mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by moocha88
    Camshaft when were you going to be in the area? My grandparents live near there so i would possibly be interested in swinging down there to ride as my new city (Terre Haute, IN) has no good riding for any great distance. I'm sure that the trails will take awhile to recover from the windstorm they had about a month ago, there were tons of trees everywhere and several cities were shut down without power and a curfew was enforced.

I will be there july 17-19

Where is Cove Hollow? i didnt find it on the trail reviews?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    It is on the west side of the Cedar Lake trail system. It is the more technical area of the Cedar system.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Cove Hollow

The easiest way to get to cove is to go down 127 south of Murphysboro, and hit either Dutch Ridge road then Cove hollow road, or you can go to the south end of the trail at Boat Dock Road and park at the trailhead there. If you park at Boat dock road, the Cove Hollow trail is to the north and the rest of the Cedar lake system is to the south. The trail basically crosses the road right at the parking spot.

Link to the trail info : http://www.smbatrails.com/cedar.html

Here are a few pics from a cove ride early this spring before the "inland hurricane"...
    Attached Images Attached Images