mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Semi Off Topic - Moving to West County St. Louis - Berryman Trail Info.

Thanks for the responses to my previous post about the Chesterfield area trails. I have received a job offer for a position in Chesterfield and am looking for some info about housing and things to do in the area. My wife and I are both 30, don't have kids, and will be moving from Boulder, CO. We are looking for an area to live within 15 min. or so of Chesterfield and would like to be as close to trails as possible (ideally 20 min. or less). I've been looking in and around Wildwood, Ballwin, and Ellisville. Ideally we would like a 2-3 BR house with a wooded backyard (not cookie cutter) for $1500 or less a month. That being said, if anyone has any rentals please let me know!

Next question, so what is there to do in and around St. Louis? I've spent literally 2 days in Missouri and am pretty unfamiliar with the area. We like biking, hiking, camping, leisurely kayaking, and visiting restaurants and breweries. When I was there I went to Schlafly's. I know the Ozarks are only about a 2 hour drive or so, so that is good to see.

Last question, can anyone provide some info about the Berryman Trail? I've read conflicting things, some say it is 1.5 hrs from St. Louis while others say 3 hrs??? I've read that it is amazing singletrack and others that it is a lot of beat up double track. That being said what can you tell me? Is it a fun ride? Something that could be done in a day trip?

What trails are best for a 10-15 mile afterwork ride (Intermediate to Advanced).

Thanks for anything you guys can provide me with. I realize this is gonna be a big change from Colorado, but I spent 25 years living in Atlanta and feel like there are a lot of similarities.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Gorctrails.com
    This has all the trails in the st.louis and surrounding areas.
    I would say the berryman is pfobably about 1.5 to 2 hours from st. louis. There is no way it is 3hrs plus as Springfield, Mo(Where I live) is 3.5 hours from St. Louis.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    All of the places you are looking at are good towns. I know them all fairly well, but I have lived more on the outskirts most of my life so I will let someone else who is more experienced answer that. However, I would recommend you post that question on the STLBiking.com forum. They will also help answer your what to do question better. You are guaranteed to get many responses. Very active forum. If you're into skinny tires, there is a huge community there and stlbiking can help guide you.

Also, if you are looking for group mtb rides check us out on SLAMB (St. Louis Area Mountain Bikers). Ride with us, suggest a ride, have a beer after the ride... good times.

St. Louis has a good variety of trails so definitely check out the Gateway Off-Road Cyclists Trails section. GORC is our trail building and advocacy group (don't forget to come out and help build ). They have great write-ups on every trail, the maps rule and users post trail conditions on the main page. I'd check out Greensfelder in Eureka (Chubb as well) and Matson in Defiance. Castlewood in Ballwin is probably the most popular in the entire area and offers trails from easy to tough(ish) and you can really rack up the miles. I usually hit 35 in one ride out there every week. All of our trails are pretty much XC oriented so get your climbing legs ready.

Berryman. Super awesome. Reroutes have been completed recently and it is continuing to get a facelift. It runs about 25 miles. Absolutely take a map if you go out there without someone who knows the trail. Very fun ride and an IMBA epic. Expect to be out there for around 5 to 6 hours with a group. Also keep on your radar Council Bluff, Middlefork and several other sections of the Ozark Trail including North Trace and South Trace. As far as distance from St. Louis, that obviously will depend on where you decide to live. 2 hours is probably a safe bet though.

Oh, camping, floating, hiking, we have all that stuff and more. There is plenty to do and much to see. You just have to know where to look. Missouri is a great place to live and I couldn't imagine living anywhere else. Maybe I'm biased.

Hope this helps.
    Pizza is life. Beer helps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Great answer, exactly what I was looking for. Hopefully once we get there in late August / early September I'll be able to get in on some of the SLAMB rides. Ill post on the other forum and see what I can find out.

Also, you say you live on the outskirts??? If I can find the right place, perhaps with a little land for rent that would be great. Can you get to the outskirts and still be within 30 min. of Chesterfield? Would love to have a place on a river of some sort.

I know I sound like a bit of an idiot, but literally know nothing about the area...

mtbr member
    I am a real estate agent and avid mountain biker living in the Chesterfield area. PM me and I'll give you all the info you need.
    Single Track Rules!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thank you guys for all the info., especially the pm's. Sorry its taken so long to respond as I have been really busy getting things in line to move, and trying to knock some Colorado trails off the bucket list before we head out. We will arrive in about 2.5 weeks so I'm gonna try and latch on to some group rides once we have settled in. We will be living just outside Ellisville so not to far from Castlewood Park.

Housenotes - Thanks for reaching out with the real estate. We ended up lucking out rather quickly on a house so things worked out pretty well

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Also, what would you say the most technical trail in the area is? I'll be riding a yeti sb66 with a fox 36 up front so I know its probably a bit overkill for Midwest riding. I'm debating whether or not to sell it right now...

Any route suggestions for the Castlewood trails?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusky21 View Post
    Also, what would you say the most technical trail in the area is? I'll be riding a yeti sb66 with a fox 36 up front so I know its probably a bit overkill for Midwest riding. I'm debating whether or not to sell it right now...

Any route suggestions for the Castlewood trails?

Thanks
    If you want technical at Castlewood ride the Grotpetter trail. There are also a couple of new trails that are fairly technical, but i'm not sure what they're calling them yet. Bluff View & Zombie? One is still a work in progress but has aprox. 2 miles of nice flowing and technical riding. For a better trail, more to what you are used to in Colorado, go to Chubb. Very technical with some fairly long climbs. Lots of fun! :-)
    P.S. Give me a call and I'll hook you up with my group for a couple of rides.
    Single Track Rules!