mtbr member
    Sep 2008

sell me on OSU/columbus

So here's the deal:

i am currently a senior in high school in Sammamish, washington, just east of seattle. I have narrowed my college choices to Colorado State University, Ft. Collins and The Ohio State University, Columbus campus. I will be studying mechanical engineering.

I enjoy both mountain biking and road biking, and would like to end up in a place where i can continue to enjoy my pastimes.

The guys on the colorado forum have already done a good job of selling me on the riding around Ft. Collins, now it's your turn. What do i need to know about Columbus, and OSU as a school?

thanks guys
    I ONLY make weird noises when i ride SS

sorry, i work at a bike shop too

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Can't tell you too much about the mechanical engineering, but can tell you it's got a great Aero/Astro program. One of the professors was a Skunk-works guy in the past. If the avatar and the following isn't enough, yup I'm alumni. So's the wife and the little bro-han.

Riding in Columbus has some decent stuff if you are willing to travel a bit. The closest (real) trails will be at Alum creek and they take until late spring to dry out. It's about 30 min or so from campus in Delaware, OH, but if you're willing to go another 30 mins to an hour you get a decent number of other trails. Mohican is about an hour and a half to two hours out to the north, and then there's some good stuff down I-71 in the Dayton/Cinci area too.

Most of the riding is pretty typical of the midwest - some technical slow going stuff because it's tight and twisty, and then some faster flowing stuff. You won't find huge hills, and you won't find rock gardens that want to eat you, your bike, and your extended family either. You will find some decent length trails, and the occasional downhill friendly trail (but, you will have to look for them).

And for road trips, NC and Pisgah is a driveable long weekend trip, better for 4 day weekends (so plan classes accordingly ), in Indiana Brown Co and Versailles are a shorter weekend trip, about 3 hours away. (See latest recent Bike mag for an opinion on Brown co.)

For the ability to blow off some steam and get on the bike, you can hit the paved trails that head north of campus - there are a bunch of little trail offshoots that can make for a fun ride there too.

Add in Moy's (still some of the best Chinese I've had - even have a fan page on facebook. ) and then Graeter's... and it's all good.

If there's anything you want to know that's off topic - feel free to drop me a PM and I'll do what I can to answer it.

And also check out www.mtbohio.org - COMBO's the local trail advocacy org, and they're local so they can give you local and real-time info.
    Almost forgot to mention to check out Spokejunkies. Trail reviews and more of a riding site.

Good luck!

JmZ
    Last edited by JmZ; 03-31-2009 at 01:20 PM.
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I'm a CSU alumni, living in the MW. The Fort is a really nice town and the biking is outstanding. I rode my first MTB in Ft. Collins 30 years ago.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Will you have a car? The thing about OSU campus and riding is that you will need a ride to get anywhere to ride unless you are planning on hitting up campus or dodging cars on high street. There are some great places to ride in the area(Mohican, AEP, Horn's Hill, Alum) but you will need a car ride to get there. There is a nice bike path for road riding running along the olentangy through campus and the rest of the city.

My thoughts, don't decide on where to go based on the riding. Anything in Colorado will blow away anything in Ohio. I know, I spend 2 or so weeks a year in Colorado, Wyoming, and Utah riding. It is a different type of off road riding here than there. The riding here is under tree cover, over rocks and roots, and some trail systems are only open from April through October. Ray's MTB Park is about 2 hrs away, and s fantastic. Your education should be first and foremost. I did not attend Ohio State, but am from central Ohio. I spent my 4 years at Cornell University in Ithaca, NY. OSU is a fantastic place to go to school. Just make sure you are prepped for Buckeye Mania in the fall.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    JmZ pretty much summed up riding in the midwest.

If you're into it, Columbus / Athens has a good indie music scene. A ton of up and coming bands of all genres make it through that area. Covers are cheap which is good on a college budget.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i wont have a car during college, and i have accepted the fact that colorado riding will beat midwest riding every time. i've been getting the same vibe from most people: go to Ohio cuz its a better/bigger school. i'm going to check out both campuses next week. it seems to me that as long as i dont hate ohio, or absolutely fall in love with colorado, i'll end up at Ohio

thanks for your responses guys
    I ONLY make weird noises when i ride SS

sorry, i work at a bike shop too

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Go to anywhere but OSU. I hate the buckeyes. Plus riding in CO. would be AMAZING I mean really no comparison there. Plus I personally love smaller schools. I went to a smaller school and you really knew most of the people there from students to teachers. I would've hated going to any real big school like about any of the "big univeristy's"
    Quote Originally Posted by motormonkeyr6
    Your mom feels kinda clunky.
    But hey Im not complaining.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Have you thought about Co School of Mines in Golden? That's a real engineering school.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    "big university's" hahahaha good one, must be a michigan grad.

These guys are speaking the truth, to ride the road in Columbus you need to be able to get out of town, however the OSU club rides from campus for training rides and it is do-able, you just need to get used to riding with traffic. For the most part Columbus drivers are pretty hip to bikers. Speaking of hip the fixie/emo/girl jeans movement is still in full swing. MTBwise it is typical midwest, but we are seeing new/different trails open or expand every year. There are a few Ohio hotspots within a couple of hours in any direction and the scene is pretty chill so people are always willing to give rides.

OSU-huge, great school (alumni). Awesome engineering, architecture, medical and business programs. If you are any kind of a sports fan OSU is great for that, and Columbus has its share of sports teams.