mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Schooner Trace Update

Last weekended, Alex Stewart and HMBA volunteers connected the North end of Schooner Trace to the Walnut Trail at Brown County State Park.

While there is still some work to do to complete the vision. The whole length of Schooner is now open. While a few spots that aren't finish require short hike a bikes, the whole trail will present challenges for riders clear the trail with out walking.

This trail lives up to the Extremely Difficult rating, and we suggest that most rider hike it prior to trying to ride it.

Schooner, along with Walnut (most difficult), LImekiln (easy) and Pine Loop (easy) where built with funding from an RTP grant and volunteer support from the local mountain bike community. The funding allowed HMBA to hire Alex Stewart to lead the trail construction efforts.

Here's some pictures of Schooner Trace.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I see a trip down south in my near future, and something tells me it will not be hard to convince a group to share the ride.

29er zealot
    Can't wait to get out there in October to ride!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I didn't ride this trail when I was down at Brown Co and I really regret it. The rest of the trails were great, can't wait to go back.
    CAMBr West
    Gives us a couple bucks and we'll give you some trails with sweet jumps and stuff.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Went for the first time in early spring, best trails in the midwest as far as I'm concerned. Well worth the time and cost to drive from Chicago.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

ouch....
    Schooner is wild, never seen anything like it.....it left marks on me haha.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Rode Schooner today. There was plenty of hike-a-biking, it also left marks on me, and I think I left a few on the trail. About 3/4 of the way through I ended up walking, I was getting horrible cramps and kept crashing on the smallest features. The other 2 guys in our group had a blast on this trail as well. The 4th, ended up rolling down the raving at the rocky drop in at the beginning. He decided to keep on hesitation instead.

But it was fun, as were the rest of the trails.
    Last edited by emtnate; 10-05-2009 at 07:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I agree totally with the above posted that Schooner is fun, but I too had to hike a bunch. It was my first trip to Brown County and we had riden 20 miles prior to even attempting Schooner. I think this trail should be riden early in your day if you want to try and clear the majority of the obstacles. My legs were so worn I was having a difficult time even clipping in after a hike a bike session. It is definitely the most "BAD A$$" trail in Indiana.
    Brandon
    09 Santa Cruz Superlight
    00 Diamondback XR-4
    99 Specialized S-Works

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    ^^

I also had about 20 miles in before riding Schooner, I think that was part of my mistake. I felt at a disadvantage on a my hardtail. After picking my way down some of the rock lines, I had no momentum to get across the flat rock gardens. I'll skip it or bring shin guards next time.

willtsmith_nwi
    I went down to Brown County this weekend for the first time. The first day rode up to hesitation point from the pool. Legs were tired and sunlight was lacking so we took the road back down.

The second day we DROVE up to Hesitation point to do the trails beyond Hesitation. 150ft into the Schooner trace, 2 of my group got too sketched out to continue, even on foot. I got have way through some to the obstacles and over a few. Wish I would have gotten through the whole thing as the videos show something with a degree of flow.

After that we did Walnut and Limekiln in both directions. One of our group had enough, so he drove the van down to the bottom while we rode down from Hesitation.

Hopefully, next time I can try to tackle Schooner Trace with elbow guards, shin gaurds, beefier tires and not so many leaves. And next time, I think we'll start one day at Limekiln and work our way all the way down to the pool.

For those who go and try, ride Walnut first.

ouch....
    Quote Originally Posted by willtsmith_nwi

For those who go and try, ride Walnut first.
    That's probably decent advice. If you can
    ride walnut both ways clean, then you shouldn't be too scared of trying schooner, but be sure to bring a riding buddy incase something bad happens out there.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I rode Walnut and Hesitation both ways before riding Schooner. I thought Schooner was quite a bit harder. No real comparison, it goes without saying, if you can't ride the other trails cleanly, Schooner is a bad choice.

mtbr member
    I agree. I don't think Walnut is anywhere near Schooner, but like it was said, if you can't ride Walnut.

The other thing about Schooner is the entrance sections. If those are way over your head, then you probably should not try. I believe those entrance sections are that way to make sure you know what you are getting in to. I need to make another trip up there to see the newer section of Schooner. I rode the entrance on a night ride, but we were running late and didn't ride the rest of the trail.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I am riding Schooner tomorrow (Sunday, Nov15th) at 1:00PM). The plan is to ride the walnut/Schooner Loop twice (once each direction). Come join me for this assult on the meanest trail in Indiana.

Paul