Suckin wind like a boss

Royalview MTB trail in Strongsville OH, Cleveland Metroparks

Opening 15 Jun 2012, grand opening celebration 17 Jun 2012. Approx. 9 miles of multidirectional singletrack, also open to hikers. It is classified as easy, suitable for beginners.

Can be very fast as it is almost devoid of rocks and roots, but riders must beware of oncoming traffic as well as hikers.

more info can be found via CAMBA website here Cleveland Area Mountain Bike Association or OMBA website here Ohio Mountain Bike Association • Index page
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

mtbr member
    I'll be there!
    '12 Soma Analog SS
    '10 Transition TransAM
    '07 Felt F1X
    '97 Schwinn Mesa SS
    '89 Fuji Saratoga
    '86 Fuji Club

Hermit
    At least while they're new, these trails are just amazingly smooth and fast. The lines contour the hillsides really well, so that the climbs all seem easy. This would be a great place to take a new rider.

I took a bit of video on opening day, Friday, that gives an idea of what you could expect:

Nice to see other CAMBA-ites on the forum!

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

Professional Crastinator
    This trail is not wide, but it can be ridden with a child on a trail-a-bike and can also be ridden on a tandem mountain bike. Use caution around those bridges. There is one switchback that will test you. The way the trail is built I think we were able to tandem uphill as fast as we went downhill. Next time we will try it in the other direction to see if it's faster that way.

I saw children around age 9 riding solo and pretty comfortable - smiles all around!

btw - even though you are "in town" the scenery is fantastic - ravines, wildflowers, pine forest, meandering streams, mature timber, historic ruins.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

What?
    I will be giving the trail a try this weekend. From the video above, I'm not sure I agree with the decision to make the trail double track though.

Suckin wind like a boss
    no part of the trail is double track? where are you getting this idea?

Hermit
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    I will be giving the trail a try this weekend. From the video above, I'm not sure I agree with the decision to make the trail double track though.
    No doubletrack - all singletrack. Maybe what you're seeing at the beginning of the video that LOOKS like it might be singletrack is about 600' feet of timber-edged raised turnpike. But the trail is all dirt singletrack, fairly narrow and brand-spankin'-new smooth.

This trail is a good thing for all you riders up near the city. Congrats to all who have persevered over the years, trying to get the Metroparks to allow mtb.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry

My insignificant blog:

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by big terry View Post
    no part of the trail is double track? where are you getting this idea?
    multi directional single track is double track

mtbr member
    multi directional single track is double track
    No, it's not. None of this trail is double track. Double track is wide like a fire road where a truck or ATV can access. The designation comes from the width of the tread, not from direction of travel. Also, this trail was designed to be one-way. There will certainly be people riding both ways though.
    '12 Soma Analog SS
    '10 Transition TransAM
    '07 Felt F1X
    '97 Schwinn Mesa SS
    '89 Fuji Saratoga
    '86 Fuji Club

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by Glynis27 View Post
    No, it's not. None of this trail is double track. Double track is wide like a fire road where a truck or ATV can access. The designation comes from the width of the tread, not from direction of travel. Also, this trail was designed to be one-way. There will certainly be people riding both ways though.
    this is my point. Above, it was stated as multi directional single track.
    it was also Stated that it can be ridden in either direction. My point is that the trail is too skinny to be ridden in both directions and I van see it being a problem.

Suckin wind like a boss
    your terminology is wrong, hence your point is incorrect. the entire trail is singletrack- travel going in both directions does not change that. there are not many trails in the area that are one direction only, although many are ridden primarily in one direction. and i can assure you that this trail, like most others, is not too narrow to be ridden in both directions. even the boardwalks have widened sections to allow for passing, even though someone will have to put a foot down to do it. the signage is one-directional, but i do not believe that there are limitations on which direction to ride. the official metroparks map does not say anything about being a one-direction trail, and for what its worth, unless you want a long road stretch, it is not possible to ride both loops without going "backwards" on one of them.

What?
    I'm not going to argue with you, it not worth my time. I have seen wrecks from trails being ridden both directions. I don't know a single trail that is meant to be ridden in both directions that is single track. Findley, Erie canal, vultures knob.... Go one direction. Reagan goes one direction other the connection trails and I have seen wrecks on the connection trails because of it.

Hermit
    I'm not going to argue with you, it not worth my time. I have seen wrecks from trails being ridden both directions. I don't know a single trail that is meant to be ridden in both directions that is single track. Findley, Erie canal, vultures knob.... Go one direction. Reagan goes one direction other the connection trails and I have seen wrecks on the connection trails because of it.
    Singletrack trails meant to be ridden in either direction in our area:

West Branch
    Beaver Creek
    Hogback Ridge
    Bavington
    Moraine
    Kennerdell
    Two Mile Run

Don't want to argue either - just don't know where you're coming from. No problems that I'm aware of due to bi-directional travel on any of the singletrack listed above. Kinda the norm at most trail systems.

Do you know of any bi-directional double track mtb trails in our area? Like to check them out if so.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry

My insignificant blog:

Suckin wind like a boss
    Dude- the trail map for reagan SPECIFICALLY STATES it can be ridden both directions. just because you dont want to doesnt mean you have to- nor does it mean other riders shouldn't, just because you dont like it.

if trail traffic in both directions bothers you that much, sell your mtb and go buy a road bike.

Suckin wind like a boss
    read the legend at the bottom right.

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by big terry View Post

if trail traffic in both directions bothers you that much, sell your mtb and go buy a road bike.
    First, I was at Reagan park riding and go nailed while going around a blind turn by someone going the opposite direction, so if I am a little guy shy, I think its warranted.

Second, Your right, I had my terminology wrong, doesnt mean you have to be a dick.

And third, most of my riding is DH riding in PA/WV, so I will keep my mountain bike. Thanks for your concern

Suckin wind like a boss
    Sucks about your experience at reagan. I get it, really I do. I ride there quite frequently and have had some interesting encounters with traffic in the opposite direction. However, royalview is nothing like reagan, because the woods at royalview are quite mature, and except for a couple of short sections, there is next to no underbrush, allowing some great sight lines. i dont know for certain, but even on sunday with the grand opening and all of the people that were on the trail (i will venture a guess in the hundreds, no joke), i havent heard of a single incident with traffic in the opposite direction. every crash i heard about was the individual riders fault, and not that of a second party. i strongly suggest you take a ride in strongsville, you will be quite surprised at how fast and open it is, regardless of which direction you ride.

im glad you will be keeping your ride didnt want to see another convert to the church of skinny tires :P

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The trails are smooth and fast. I rode them last night on my cyclocross bike.

What?
    I had to laugh, I rode there yesterday, and a couple younger kids were going the opposite way. they were pulling over to let us by so we just kept moving. One decided it was a good idea to try to do an endo at the last minute, his bike swung into the trail, hitting my wife. No harm done, but I thought it was ironic.

Professional Crastinator
    I don't believe they are going to mandate one-way traffic at Royalview, but during peak hours it would be in everyone's best interest to follow the arrows. i.e. Park at the bottom, ride yellow up, follow red down and around, then take red again, but get off at the road crossing and go back to the lot. That means you'll ride the first ~half of red twice.

If you ride it backwards, maybe try it very early or very late, or in the middle of a weekday.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I've ridden the new trail a few times now...it is SUPER FAST...if you can do it. and with that said..it should only be ran in one direction...ONLY 1....there will definately be an issue sooner or laster, just a matter of time. The trail should be designated as one direction for safety purposes and if you dont go that way, you MUST let all other users go by. I am not stopping my only little downhill for some fool that wants to ride it backward...NO IMBA rule for that trail...downhillers should always get the line...we only get to go downward for a liitle bit..make the slow uphillers stop (yes, im a XC rider). I'm still unshure of bringing my 9yr old girl there because of the speed that some folks can carry there. Its a neat trail, extremely easy, but any MTB singletrac that runs both directions will eventually have issues. If we want to keep riding in that park, it should be designated as ONE DIRECTION. And the current hikers that use that place....hopefully they wont be bashing us too bad because of us flying past them sooo fast...we may think we are in control, but they dont know it.
    I've seen some scary looks and I was even slowed down a bit for them. Great trail building by the folks that did it all. I hope it continues, but I'm amazed that its allowed to be ridden in both directions...as far as Reagan goes...you just cant get that kinda speed there..too many turns, so direction isnt as important. I too ahve hit someone on a blind turn and luckily we both didnt get hurt....it does and will happen.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    multi-directional?

Suckin wind like a boss
    Quote Originally Posted by a a r o n View Post
    multi-directional?

This is at both the red and yellow trailheads now.
    Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2