Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    CAMBr Trail Crew

Raceway Woods - Carpentersville, Illinois

The first phase of official singletrack at Raceway Woods has finally been completed. A big "THANK YOU!" to everyone involved in getting this project off the ground! Now hopefully (with a little bit of luck), the second phase of trailwork could begin as early as next Spring, so we'll keep ya posted!

Video 1: Raceway Woods - Carpentersville, Illinois - YouTube

Video 2: Raceway Woods - Carpentersville, Illinois - YouTube
    Last edited by DDDonny; 10-10-2012 at 02:05 PM.

Ninja
    Nice! Wish we could something like in the northern lake county! The trail developing guy won't even return my emails! I guess to busy putting in multimillion dollar tunnels all over the place.
    The plan is to out live everyone!

CAMBr Trail Crew
    All I can say is just be patient. Raceway took at least a couple of years before the project was finally given the greenlight, and we've only just completed Phase One. Keep your fingers crossed, though. From what I'm hearing, many of the counties (hopefully Lake included) had reps present at the IMBA/CAMBr Trail Building Class held two weekends ago. People are starting to realize that there are more positives to mountain bikers, than the preconceived notion that we're all just a bunch of Red Bull guzzling thrill-seekers...

Now, where's my Red Bull??? LOL!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosted Flakes View Post
    Nice! Wish we could something like in the northern lake county! The trail developing guy won't even return my emails! I guess to busy putting in multimillion dollar tunnels all over the place.
    The people in charge of Lake County believe that their negative opinion of MntBking is reflective of the populace's opinion when in fact it is only their opinion. They are very close minded when it comes to ANY singletrack trails on their property, not the peoples property. They will bulldoze a 35 foot wide path thru the woods and say singletrack is damaging to the ecosystem.

By the way big props for the work you've done at Raceway DDDonny I'm looking forward to riding out there.
    You will be scarred for life if you click my avatar

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DDDonny View Post
    All I can say is just be patient. Raceway took at least a couple of years before the project was finally given the greenlight, and we've only just completed Phase One. Keep your fingers crossed, though. From what I'm hearing, many of the counties (hopefully Lake included) had reps present at the IMBA/CAMBr Trail Building Class held two weekends ago. People are starting to realize that there are more positives to mountain bikers, than the preconceived notion that we're all just a bunch of Red Bull guzzling thrill-seekers...

Now, where's my Red Bull??? LOL!
    I believe one of the guys from Zion Cyclery attended the trail building class. I know he's been trying to get stuff going with Beulah Park.
    The bigger you are, the harder you fall.

CAMBr Trail Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by fatguybiking View Post
    I believe one of the guys from Zion Cyclery attended the trail building class. I know he's been trying to get stuff going with Beulah Park.
    Yup! Chris Daisy from Zion Cyclery was in attendance at the Saturday class - I met him, cool dude! Anyway, one thing I can tell you for certain is if and when things get the green-light up there (at Beulah or wherever), I'll be there to help move some dirt!

Beulah Park - Zion, IL | Trail Advocacy, Restoration, and Conservation | CAMBr - Chicago Area Mountain Bikers
    Last edited by DDDonny; 10-12-2012 at 03:48 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dickeydoo View Post
    The people in charge of Lake County believe that their negative opinion of MntBking is reflective of the populace's opinion when in fact it is only their opinion. They are very close minded when it comes to ANY singletrack trails on their property, not the peoples property. They will bulldoze a 35 foot wide path thru the woods and say singletrack is damaging to the ecosystem.

By the way big props for the work you've done at Raceway DDDonny I'm looking forward to riding out there.
    Lake County(as well as most of the surrounding countys) had a representative(s) attend the Friday 9/28 IMBA Land Managers Seminar. The responses were very positve. I believe the Lake Co. rep. visited a trail system that was the same type of area that would possibly become available for trails. This is very early in exploring possibilties. Remember this can take time. CAMBr will continue to advocate and educate for more trails.

CAMBr Trail Crew

Thanks, buddy! But I'm just one person (out of countless others) who helped move dirt! Bigger kudos to the KCFPD, the Village of Carpentersville, and the higher-ups at CAMBr -who work all their behind the scene magic to make trails like this a reality...!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lml427 View Post
    Lake County(as well as most of the surrounding countys) had a representative(s) attend the Friday 9/28 IMBA Land Managers Seminar. The responses were very positve. I believe the Lake Co. rep. visited a trail system that was the same type of area that would possibly become available for trails. This is very early in exploring possibilties. Remember this can take time. CAMBr will continue to advocate and educate for more trails.
    Sorry for being Debbie Downer here, but I've lived in Lake Cnty for 22 years and the land managers have always had a very neg outlook on MTBKing. Its surprising that they may have had a change of heart.

There has been talk of trails before this that they have shot down. One example is an area that would be perfect for significant miles of hilly single track, but their opinion was it would be to damaging to the ecosystem. They then bulldozed miles of 35 ft wide trails through these same woods.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Sorry for being Debbie Downer here, but I've lived in Lake Cnty for 22 years and the land managers have always had a very neg outlook on MTBKing. Its surprising that they may have had a change of heart.

There has been talk of trails before this that they have shot down. One example is an area that would be perfect for significant miles of hilly single track, but their opinion was it would be to damaging to the ecosystem. They then bulldozed miles of 35 ft wide trails through these same woods.
    I have only lived in DuPage, Kane and Will counties and have been advocating mountian biking since 1987. None of these counties were interested in multi use natural surface trails(singletrack) until recently. I understand your frustration. I used to ride a nice trail that kids also built a park like area. Signs were posted that it was "damaging the eco system" and they kicked everyone out. Months later the bulldozer came through and built a road, not a trail.

At the Land Managers seminar you could see a lot of the attendees get the "Ah ha, I get it. Now I see how and why its done this way" The ice has been broken and interest is high. We need to continue to educate and work the process.

Ninja
    Here's what fries my butt, WE PAY FOR THESE PEOPLE TO WORK FOR US!!!!!! Why is there so much butt kissing to land managers. Why is there so much red tape, bureaucracy, and hyming and haying about. Whats nice about a single track, if it doesn't get used, the woods take care of it and its gone in a matter of years. Why is there such strife?! Why are they so against it?! How does it destroy the ecosystem, when up here they can spend millions on stupid tunnels and bridges that you can drive a tank over! Bring in heavy excavators and all the dump trucks! Heaven forbid, you ride off the gravel trail! I don't get it, its such a waste!

Off my soap box, back to regular programming

Ninja
    Where was this at? Are talking about the preserve off of Rt 176?

Ninja
    Forgot Double D, great job in Carpentersville! When I get bored of the Wisconsin trails, maybe I'll head down that a way to try it out and maybe Palos to.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    When you say "WE" and "US" you must include the other stake holders who also pay and have a say. The conservationist, restorationist, equestrian, bird, butterfly, snake, tree, fauna person etc. etc... The Land Manager has to balance out what is acceptable or not that's in agreement with their Mission Satement. Our job is to educate to all that we also want to preserve things in their most natural state but with a sustainable natural surface trail through the forest that everyone can enjoy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lml427 View Post
    When you say "WE" and "US" you must include the other stake holders who also pay and have a say. The conservationist, restorationist, equestrian, bird, butterfly, snake, tree, fauna person etc. etc... The Land Manager has to balance out what is acceptable or not that's in agreement with their Mission Satement. Our job is to educate to all that we also want to preserve things in their most natural state but with a sustainable natural surface trail through the forest that everyone can enjoy.
    I agree there are a few different user groups in play here, some having a louder voice than others. But the reasoning and justification of saying no to a single track trail but allowing a wide swath to be bulldozed through forest seems to be more of a self serving plan of how they think it should be. Seems like catering to some user groups and ignoring MTBRs.

Possibly their concern is once they let a trail be built riders would start creating rogue trails everywhere creating a silly maze of trails.

Ninja
    Even it do get some rogue trails, those trails can and would benefit all the other users also. Just like the bird watchers, butterfly group, and hikers. Those singletracks give a those people access to other parts of the preserve that otherwise not have been there.

By no means am I saying that the land managers just let us go nuts and do whatever we want, but have some leanancy on letting the "the people" who own the land use it. I understand there needs to be balance, but when you don't even get a repsonse from the trail director after 5 emails, thats a problem! I don't expect a long lengthy in depth response, just respond!

Like I said, here in northern lake county, its all about building tunnels and bridges people can't even use because the construction will take another year or two. Also there bulldozing an area off Rollins and rt 45 where the snowmobilers couldn't use for the last 3 years because of a certain type of snow bird! Give me a break, we couldn't ride our sleds there, but they can bulldoze and dig the hell out of the same area. The land managers put snowmobilers at risk by detouring us about a mile out of the way to cross Rollins. Now we had to ride along rt 45 going in the wrong direction of traffic to get that crossing, just brillant!

I'm not here to start a war amoung users of the forest preserve, but enough is enough of being disregarded and kicked to the curb because of someone prejudices or don't give a dam about other groups using the preserve.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Here is what I have learned from being a member of CAMBr.org and now serve on the CAMBr board. I used to have the same thoughts as you guys about why they wont allow trail. All the trails that these land manager have seen are poorly built trails that where illegally created not using proper trail building techniques. So all the land managers sees is the signs of damage that most of these trails cause.

What CAMBr and IMBA is doing is showing these land managers that mnt bike trails can be built that will not disrupt the environment. Kane and Cook counties are good examples.

Ninja
    Gotfish, kudos to you and all that support CAMBR, but I've seen first hand how the land managers work up here because of my job. This becomes very frustrating because they don't want to do anything unless their forced to or the feds throw them a boat load of money to spend. I'm glad that your on the front line, because I've had it with our forest board.

As far as illegal trails, I can see why the locals started building their own, because of the trail managers are sitting on their hands. But I do agree that the illegal trails don't help our cause because they aren't built to a sustainable standard. I personally watched the US Forestry trail building video and honestly never realized that there is a science to building sustainable trails.

If you CAMBR can get Lake County off their hands or out of their pockets, I will be the first on site and last one to leave on any work Day! I want nice and fun mtb trails up Here!
    Last edited by Frosted Flakes; 10-17-2012 at 08:13 PM.

CAMBr Trail Crew
    Here's an article from our friends at CAMBA (Cleveland Area Mountain Bike Assoc.)

Parks Paradigm Shift | How We Did It | Front Page | Parks & Recreation Magazine

Frosty, I understand all your frustration and agree that it sucks that there's so much politics involved with getting legal trails built. As had already been mentioned, all we can do as a community is continue to educate and promote the positives in the building of sustainable trails. Judging by those who were in attendance at the IMBA/CAMBr - Land Managers Seminar, it seems that there is more of an open-mindedness towards mountain biking gaining a foothold in northern Illinois. Have your shovels ready...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I don't mean to hijack, but this seems to fit. Up here in Kenosha County they are having a public information meeting on the Kenosha County Comprehensive Bike Plan. I have to work and won't be able to make it, but just wanted to sent this out there in case anyone was interested in going or sending an email suggesting the building of MTB trails.

Kreuser seeks public input on county’s future bike plans
    Kenosha County Executive Jim Kreuser is inviting people to attend a public information meeting
    on the Kenosha County Comprehensive Bike Plan. The open house-style meeting will be held from
    4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 18th, in the Public Hearing Room at the Kenosha County Center,
    19600 75th St., Bristol. WI

Ann Freiwald, an associate with Alta Planning + Design, Madison, and Sarah Gaskell, planning
    manager with the Wisconsin Bike Fed, which are both leading the comprehensive bike planning
    process for the county, will be on hand to answer questions and listen to feedback from the
    public about the project.

“We are looking to develop a blueprint that we can follow as resources become available to
    improve bicycle and pedestrian facilities across the county,” Kreuser said. “It is critical to hear
    from the public about how they would like to see the plans progress.”

A Comprehensive Bike Plan Committee, made up of representatives from most of the
    municipalities, and of avid bike riders, has also been meeting to help guide the planning process.

You may also share thoughts and comments about changes or improvements to bike and
    pedestrian facilities county-wide via email to County.Executive@KenoshaCounty.org.

For more information about the open house, call 262-653-2600.
    Last edited by fatguybiking; 10-16-2012 at 02:26 AM.
    The bigger you are, the harder you fall.

Ninja
    DD! Thanks for the article, it does show that things are possible, especially in densely populated areas. But does lake county get it, they have vast tracks of land that can be developed and enjoyed by all the locals and surrounding communities and not mention it would be easier to vote for a referendum that gives them more tax dollars if they include everyone.
    I know right now their head is stuck in the sand about all the tunnels and bridges being built, is there serious conversations about building sustainable single tracks up Here?

Also, who do I need to talk to about getting into the CAMBR north Club?

Fatguybiking, I want to go to that meeting, but not sure if a fib would be welcomed. I love Petrifying Springs trails up by you. Its one of the only true mtb trails I can ride without going to Kettle. If Kenosha doesn't mind fib help, I will be there anyway I can to support or help.

And would you hurry up and get that new bike Already! How's this Saturday morning for a ride, let me know?

CAMBr Trail Crew
    FatGuyBiking,

Thanks, I remember receiving an email regarding the Kenosha County Meeting, but regardless, I'm going to post your message on the CAMBr.org website for any of our members that may live closer to the Illinois/Wisconsin border.

Frosty,

here you go, buddy.

Become A Member | CAMBr - Chicago Area Mountain Bikers

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Frosted Go here Become A Member | CAMBr - Chicago Area Mountain Bikers and you can join. The more support we have the more CAMBr can do

http://www.facebook.com/cambrnorth

Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by gotfish8 View Post
    Frosted Go here Become A Member | CAMBr - Chicago Area Mountain Bikers and you can join. The more support we have the more CAMBr can do

http://www.facebook.com/cambrnorth
    I'm all over it brother! Just having trouble signing into my account over on CAMBR. Will be joining up!

Whatever happened over by round lakes park district Area? Were you talking about the space in country walk behind Kohls?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The Lake County Board is also the Lake County Forest Preserve Board. If you want to get their attention now would be a great time to say something since half the members are running for re-election. I think the fact that they are elected officials gives us a unique opportunity to persuade them over someone who is simply appointed. I also have worked with board members on other projects before and know that a lot of them are open to hearing what their constituents have to say. I think that once raceway is up and running it would be beneficial perhaps to set up a trip down there for them to see how it turns out. I think that their idea of natural surface trails is some how skewed by assumptions. The only way to change those assumptions is to give them concrete examples of projects that work. I ride a lot of trails in northern lake county and there are some areas that would be awesome for single track only problem is now they have a huge limestone path running through them. I cant help but wonder if everyone would enjoy them more if it was a bit more natural to hike and bike.

Finally I have to say that there is a lot to be said about actually showing up to a board meeting and being an advocate for change. If you live in lake county it may be beneficial to join a group like CAMBR even though they dont manage any trails up north yet. If we could show them that their is an active interest perhaps it would give our argument more credibility.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast