mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Question about hotel's in Nashville, IN (Brown County)

I'm looking into driving down to ride Brown County on Thursday and stay thru Saturday. Just wondering how difficult it may be getting a place to stay without a reservation beforehand. I see there are plenty of Inns and motels in the area. What does everyone recommend? I can't wait to get down there and ride most of the trails. Thanks

Tim

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I'd plan ahead. With this being Memorial weekend I'd suggest booking something in advance. Personally, I'd just bring a tent and camp. The shower/toilet facilities in the park are not bad at all. If you do decide to camp, you'll probably want to reserve a camp site as well for the same reason.
    Indy, In.
    Niner Rip 9
    Epic Expert Carbon 650b
    Karate Monkey SS
    Misfit DiSSent SS
    Sette Razzo

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks, I already went down and stayed Thursday night at the Abe Martin. It was booked the whole weekend though. I will plan ahead next time too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    How was the trail system? Looking to go down there in June or July to pre-ride the Super D in August. Never been there before.
    Peace from Hell...

'13 Chromag Stylus
    '11 Specialized 29r EVO ht
    '11 DB Mission 2 w/Fox 36

bab74 on GORC

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    My first time going and I can't wait to go back! The trails were nearly perfect. Very well maintained. I didn't get a chance to ride the whole thing, but the 4 sections I rode were awesome!

mtbr member
    Columbus is a short drive to the east. I-65 runs right through it. Its about a 20 minute drive back into Nashville/Brown County. You may have some luck staying there..

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks, I didn't even consider Columbus for hotels. Duh! lol Next time I go down, I'm going to stay at a friends house in Indy and have a hour drive. Free room and board.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    How much a night was the Abe Martin?

I'm kinda curious on what the non-franchise places run a night in the area.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'm heading down there in August for the Sub 9 Super D and it seems like the AB Lodge is always booked up and average is around $90 (?) bucks per night. All their lodging was pretty pricey compared to a cabin we stayed at in Mountain View, AR for the SR50 but a smaller town. I took the plunge and found a secluded cabin near BCSP that ain't cheap but I thought F it and reserved it. From reseraching BC website I found with the following.

Hotels were way overpriced around $120 a night

B&B a little more or less

Lower end cabins average around $80 a night

Nicer cabins and houses average around $150 and up.

I'm sure someone that lives or stayed around town could clarify. That was just researching the website which has a ton of options for places to stay. I will be tenting it in July when I go down though...
    Peace from Hell...

'13 Chromag Stylus
    '11 Specialized 29r EVO ht
    '11 DB Mission 2 w/Fox 36

bab74 on GORC

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I think I paid $107 a night. The front desk employee said it does book up quickly though. I got lucky with no reservation to get a room.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks! I had been thinking about going down there for a weekend trip and staying someplace... someplace different (not your average franchise place).

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I always like doing bed and breakfast places. Usually spend around $120 per night or so.

tmb
    When in doubt- turn left
    Feb 2004
    Green Valley Lodge, south of town, not far from west gate of the park. $80/ nite. Clean, simple rooms. Friendly people.

Hooked
    As a family we've stayed in the Abe Martin rustic cabins the last two years for the Midwest Women's weekend. I also spent one night in a lodge room last fall by myself so can compare lodge versus rustic cabin. (driving back to WI from there now).

Rustic cabins are small and basic. We've had dbl bed and single bed version. $72night plus tax) Small bathroom with shower. There is AC but no TV nor phone. Bedding and towels are a bit worn. And they are in the woods, so insects and maybe mice could visit you. My kiddo was freaked one night as he was sure he saw a mouse. I told him no way (and then discreetly wiped up some mouse droppings ;-)). None of which bothers me ( but I'm not quite outdoorsy enough to camp). This year the cabin had a small fridge, tiny microwave and coffee maker. Those were not there last year.

The lodge room are larger (can't remember if beds were dbl or queen, I was alone). Full bathroom with tub, TV, phone, Internet (cant remember if wired or wireless) furnishing still very dated. Typical older hotel room.

Personally I prefer the cabins. Dragging camelbaks. Ice, coolers other gear in and out not tons of fun down a hall, up the stairs/elevators etc. I like parking outside my door, bikes close etc. I also like being onsite in the park versus staying off site. Just works well for us and different folks doing different things.

Either way you get wristbands to the indoor pool/ waterpark in the lodge. You do have to pay to use the large park outdoor pool.

I think I have pictures of both type rooms if you want me to post when I get back to my computer.
    My blog - this, that, travel, garden, bikes, fitness, family, whatever

Instagram, Twitter you'll find me as beerbikegirl