bonked

Power line trails in NE Ohio?

I just posted to a thead on the OMBA cleveland area forum.

http://joinomba.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7971

I guess I am speaking to the same crowd here, but do any of you all ride the service trails along the power and gas lines in the area? I haven't done so in years but it seems such a waste that they can't be used recreationally and I do see MXers out on them now and then. It seems there is such a narrow focus on trail access and the 'need' to build new trails within the park system that places like these get overlooked.

Places like Ray's and the concept of dirt parks aren't really my thing. I need XC trails. It is killing me living up here with so little access to good XC trails.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    there are plenty of good xc trails in NE ohio. Quail hollow, West branch, Medina, vultures knob sorta. and one other cleveland metro park trail.

bonked
    4 trails is better than nothing I guess. My point is that with as many powerline and gas line ROWs that are all over the place around here, what is the line on riding on them? I used to ride a few out near Chagrin/Bainbridge/Russell back in the late 80s through about 1990. I left for a few years and when I came back I was kind of out of mtn biking, plus the fact that the Metroparks had taken a hard anti mtn bike stance by that point. Now that I'm back into it I want to make sure I'm not ruffling anybodies feathers by riding these trails. There used to be, maybe still is, a nice snowmobile trail out near the geodesic dome on 87. We would ride that an make a bigger loop out of it using a gas line cut.

The 100 miles world-class trail OMBA I guess is working on is an outstanding effort and I look forward to that. It can hopefully server to inspire more open minded attitude about mtn biking up here.
    Yes I am!

If you won't build I will
    Quote Originally Posted by IF52
    I just posted to a thead on the OMBA cleveland area forum.

http://joinomba.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7971

I guess I am speaking to the same crowd here, but do any of you all ride the service trails along the power and gas lines in the area? I haven't done so in years but it seems such a waste that they can't be used recreationally and I do see MXers out on them now and then. It seems there is such a narrow focus on trail access and the 'need' to build new trails within the park system that places like these get overlooked.

Places like Ray's and the concept of dirt parks aren't really my thing. I need XC trails. It is killing me living up here with so little access to good XC trails.
    Umm... NE Ohio is nothing but XC...

bonked
    Well I know is nothing but XC. It's almost flat here, what the hell else can it be. But 4 or 5 formal trails is hardly a mtn bike mecca. My point is, if it isn't already clear enough, is that the service trails along utility cuts are prime for mtn biking. I don't want to head out on them these days if it is considered bad form and will undermine the efforts of CAMBA or other user groups who are interested in gaining legal access to them.
    Yes I am!

If you won't build I will
    Quote Originally Posted by IF52
    Well I know is nothing but XC. It's almost flat here, what the hell else can it be. But 4 or 5 formal trails is hardly a mtn bike mecca. My point is, if it isn't already clear enough, is that the service trails along utility cuts are prime for mtn biking. I don't want to head out on them these days if it is considered bad form and will undermine the efforts of CAMBA or other user groups who are interested in gaining legal access to them.
    Why would you want to ride in strate line for 5 or 6 miles any way? Why not just ride the tow path in the CRVNP? And if it underminds CAMBA I say do it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    haha I don't know it is considered bad form but I ride them all the time. up the road to the gas line...couple miles to the high tension cut. I ride the electric trails by where I work too. pretty much every one u find will have atleast dirt bike trails. if u count all the utility trails there would be hundreds of miles. I'm in neoh near the terminal morraine where the glacier stopped and lots of good hills here. love ya

bonked
    Quote Originally Posted by adiobulbu
    if u count all the utility trails there would be hundreds of miles.
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by nitzer
    Why would you want to ride in strate line for 5 or 6 miles any way? Why not just ride the tow path in the CRVNP?
    See above.

Also, the tow path is almost totally flat. Not south Florida flat, but pretty close. And the surface is pretty boring, almost like riding on pavement. The utility cuts I've been on are rolling, especially out east and south. Not like riding in the mountains, but about as good as it gets around here. Plus the terrain is more challenging.
    Yes I am!