mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Potential Move to Saint Joseph, MO, questions for you???

How are you guys?

I've got a potential job opportunity in Saint Joseph, MO, its one of those jobs that would be kind of hard to turn down. I'm really torn on this one, I've lived in Colorado now for 2 years and moved here from Athens, GA so I'm okay with not being able to ride in the high mountains. I generally ride 3 times a week doing a longer 20-30 mile ride on weekends.

All that being said, what are the trails like around here? I saw the Krag loop is only 6 miles and it is advanced, what defines advanced out there? What other trails are in the area and would provide a 10-15 mile ride after work? What trails are within a 2 hour drive for weekend rides that are decent?

Lastly, what is the city itself like? I'm the kind of person that likes beer and good food that's not overly expensive.

Any information would be appreciated as I am extremely torn on this to say the least.

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    It's hard to compare biking around KC to Colorado, and trails are as advanced as the trail builders want them to be. We have a lot of new trails being built, and what's been done lately has been very well received by the riders.

Not familiar with what's at St. Joseph, but Smithville Lake should be about 30-45 minutes southeast from St. Joseph (google maps, bike layer). Almost every trail in the Kansas City area is within an hour and 15 minutes. For more info on KC trails, check out this link. It's currently shown for Smithville Lake, but a lot of the other trails are available from dropdown menus. The website itself looks dated, but the forum is pretty active.

Earthriders Mountain Bike Club - trail description: Smithville Lake Trail

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I grew up around St Joe and it's not a bad place to live, not great either. In the past 10 years there has been an explosion of new fast food and shopping centers, but no real manufacturing or industry. All the money in St Joe comes from the hospital and people who work in Kansas City. As far as biking goes, it's not good. There are almost zero trails (compared to CO) and even riding on the road is difficult because cyclists are universally hated by motorists. You will need to go to KC or Smithville for any resemblance of mountain biking. BUT there are a lot of gravel roads not far from town you could ride and take in the scenery (farms).

I wouldn't move back to the St Joe area unless I had a family situation that forced me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Bump...

I currently live in NJ and am considering a move to this area (somewhere along I-29) to be closer to family and severely reduce my cost of living.

How does stuff there compare to the rolling trails of south Jersey?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Not familar with NJ trails, but there are some videos on youtube for the KC trails. A search for the following, followed by "mountain biking" should give some results. Sure there's more out there, but not sure if they have videos.

Swope Park
    BURP
    Shawnee Mission Park
    WYCO
    Wyandotte County Lake
    Smithville
    Landhall

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Smithville will be your closest trail and it is a great trail system - 11 miles of singletrack and is very well maintained. The local mtb club, Earthriders, is one of the best group of trail guys you will find in the country (yes I am biased ). Spiderfest in Smithville is a must attend which takes place in August.

I live 20 miles east of Smithville and ride there frequently, I would be glad to show you the trails when they dry out after the spring gets here.

Like the earlier poster said, go to Earthriders Mountain Bike Club and you can get the skinny on the trails. KC area trails offer alot of great riding.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

season?

what's the riding season in an average year?
    what do you expect this year?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Winter when it's frozen. Basically below 30 and cloudy or under 15 with partial sun. With full sun, frozen mud thaws with anything above 10 degrees. During daily freeze/thaw cycles, which can go from November thru March, trails get muddy if there's much moisture. Spring thru fall are normally pretty good, but trails stay muddy a couple days after it rains. Normally 2 to 5 days depending on how much rain, if it's more than a sprinkle. Last year, I'd say about 3/4 of the year saw ridable conditions, if you're willing to go out in the snow. 1/2 a year if you don't do winter.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Sorry, I wasn't very clear.
    When does your non-winter riding season start? April? May? I'm in Duluth, Mn, so get plenty of snow riding, but it takes a long time for the snow to melt and the ground to thaw out, then dry out.

So I'm trying to find out if driving south will help me get an earlier start once our ski season ends in April.
    Last edited by Tjaard; 03-10-2014 at 06:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Around Kansas City, if it doesn't rain this week and it stays above freezing over night with at least a light wind, we'll probably be on the trails in the next couple weeks. Last year with slightly warmer March, I was already on the trails by now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks,

Keep us posted on the conditions.

Perpetual n00b
    I wonder what the OP ended up doing...
    When the chicks at school see how gay we are, they're gonna be all over us.