mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Perfect North Slopes

Does anyone know if Perfect North has ever considered turning the ski slopes into a mountain bike park during the summer months? I am sure I am not the first to think of this, but it just seems that would be a great place to open up some downhill trails or even some other trails in the summer to make some additional money. Just a thought. Maybe CORA could team up with them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I thought about that also. However, never been there so didn't think much about it since didn't know if was good for ski either.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Perfect North Slopes

It's a pretty decent ski area and they have out a lot of effort into appealing to the younger crowd with expanding their two parks. It wouldn't surprise me if they would be open to the idea since a lot of the guys running the place are younger and enjoy riding the park in the winter so I would assume they would enjoy riding bikes in the warmer months.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I just wrote them to ask. The question comes up here in Indiana, too.
    Thoughts in this area bring up a closed down slope that is near Bloomington and Nashville. I think looking at an operational facility would make more sense.
    Used seven Springs, PA as a comparison. I have not been to Perfect North, but have been to Seven Springs. Seemed a better choice to look at than Whistler.
    Last edited by Kronk; 09-03-2013 at 04:42 PM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Have not heard back yet after about two weeks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I've brought this up with a different ski area in Michigan. The owner had thought about it before, but enjoys the Summer "off" from business. Some other people involved with the ski area think it is a great idea and have started to get more involved with biking in the region. I think it is only a matter of time.

I have no idea if the owners of PNS feel the same, but it is a possibility. I think it would only be a good move for ski industry in the Midwest to expand into biking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Looking at their facebook page it seems they have a few things going through the summer.
    Still, I find it interesting that I did not get a reply. Even just "No".
    They also had been asked before my email attempt by someone on the facebook page.

I take it they are not interested.

rda
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    they had an xc dirt bike/kwad race there about 5 years ago. it was right after torrentail rains and the place got hosed up pretty good. they never had db there after that - maybe there scared after that experiance

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    They may think bikes would have the same result as motos. But since there was never a reply, I have no idea about what they think bikes would do, and if they know trails could close during conditions that would damage their property.
    I would like to think there would be at least a reply saying they are not interested would have been good customer service.

Someone may have to commit to setting up a meeting with PNS up, and be ready with a presentation if PNS accepts. Being a business may restrict building to PNS employees and/or hired pros like Gravity Logic. If volunteers could be allowed to build, an MOU would likely need to be drawn up for whatever group commits to the build and maintenance. Oh, and maybe a "Friends of PNS" could be created to raise funds and get things donated.
    Something like that, I really have little knowledge in all of that stuff.

mtbr member
    I would think the best bet would be to contact the Hoosier MTB association, and pick their brain about the topic. Or CORA as well. Maybe they have already asked before and can give you more info. PN would probably respond to an organization more likely than an individual.

I think I remember hearing that they had been approached some time in the past and they weren't interested.

I've driven past that abandoned toboggan/ski area between Nashville and Bloomington and have wondered the same. I've gotta imagine that place has a pretty high price tag. I can't find it on a real estate search, though. It does look like it abuts Yellowwood, though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ski World was the name, Nate. Was sold some years back, and I thought it was up for sale again about the middle of last year. The lodge building and other stuff has all been removed.
    A developer wanted to make it a stand alone town from what I hear, but the idea got scrapped. Whoever has it now had let an off road event be held there, from what I hear. The BCSP people know far better than me. yet I doubt building trails would be given a go-ahead. Never know.

I do know people shuttle BCSP, and it would be nice to have an alternate area for that type of riding. Riding on trails built for that purpose if far more enjoyable to me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    From what I understand from a friend on the ski patrol that knows the Perfects he said it is not in the insurance rider to have bikes there. So as of now it is a dead deal sorry to say.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    PNS is super conservative... They waited until the late 90s to even allow snowboarders. An insurance rider is an easy excuse to say no... If enough people ask, they'll allow bikes.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk