Thread: Peoria trails

mtbr member

Peoria trails

I'll be in Peoria mid-May for a wedding and am planning on having my bike with me. I've looked at the Pamba website and it looks like I will definitely be riding Dirksen and Independence.

The map for Dirksen shows what appear to be a lot of potential routes to take. Is there a preferred route to hit "everything"? My plan is to ride Indy and Dirksen once each, then the last day either ride one of them again or hit Black Partridge. I want the most bang for my ride.

Deadhead
    Mar 2004
    Dirksen and Indy are pretty good but probably the hardest to follow due to the lack of signage. I would highly recommend trying to hook up with some locals for either of those rides. I would also suggest hitting Farmdale if you have the time. Once the weather gets nicer there are group rides just about every night so it shouldn't be too hard to find a guide. Just post up on the PAMBA boards a few days ahead of time and someone should be able to get you set up.
    "If you can get both wheels sliding with no brakes, that's when you really know that you're cookin." Nathan Rennie

ICORR - FORC
    Quote Originally Posted by gratefulbiker
    Dirksen and Indy are pretty good but probably the hardest to follow due to the lack of signage. I would highly recommend trying to hook up with some locals for either of those rides. I would also suggest hitting Farmdale if you have the time. Once the weather gets nicer there are group rides just about every night so it shouldn't be too hard to find a guide. Just post up on the PAMBA boards a few days ahead of time and someone should be able to get you set up.
    Ditto.

For three days, I'd choose Indy, Farmdale, and Partridge (assuming you are cool with driving to the Farm and Met on two of those days...) If you have a GPS, Indy is manageable on your own, otherwise it's pretty easy to end up a long ways away from where you think you are. But find a way to ride it - post up at Pamba.

Rg.
    There's car, beer, girls, and bike. Not just the three; you can have four. - Tyler Klassen

mtbr member
    I'll have to post on Pamba and see what I get. I think Friday will be an afternoon ride, Saturday will be a late morning/early afternoon ride, and Sunday will be a morning ride before we have to head back to northern Indiana.

Thanks for all of the help. I am really looking forward to riding in Peoria. Now if the weather here would cooperate I could start to get into shape for it...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    +1 on Farmdale. Fun on the MTB and fun on the roadie around the park

mtbr member
    If you decide to hit up Indy and Dirksen let us Pamba guys know and we'll treat you alright. Always glad to give a tour.
    MUni, Trials, XC, Downhill, what else can I ride!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Where are these trails located at around Peoria?

mtbr member
    http://www.pambamtb.org/ Scroll down to our trails, there is directions and locations there.
    MUni, Trials, XC, Downhill, what else can I ride!

mtbr member
    I mainly ride Indy and I always thought it was easy to follow compared to other trails. Over the last couple years though it seems like Dirksen isn't being ridden very much. I haven't been to Farmdale yet though, how does it compare to Indy?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Farmdale is definitely a staple to add into your mix.

I don't think Farmdale has as regular ascending/descending as Indy, but when it does it is great. Farmdale has a lot of stuff along the way to do as well (ladder bridge drops, jumps, downhill section, log rides, skinnies, etc) vs. the more "natural" terrain of Indy.

mtbr member
    Cool, I'll have to check it out. I planned on going Sunday, but it stormed Saturday night.