mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Good job! OH: New member from Ohio.

Hi. I'm a new member to mtbr from Ohio, Dayton, to be specific.
    I rode BMX for years and dabbled in mountain biking off and on when I had the chance. That was on a Huffy Blade, way back when. Now I'm getting full fledged into the mountain biking scene with my first bike purchase in six years. I just purchased an '08 GT Avalanche 2.0. I bought this bike for sake of cost and the ability to upgrade on the frame. It had everything I could hope for in a low end bike to get started again biking that would be suitable for right now. Mainly riding trails, all mountain, and to and from the stores around my apartment.

So yea, Ohioans, where are ya?

mtbr member
    I just moved to New Philly, OH, south of Canton. I moved from Arizona (it wasn't my choice). Dayton is a bit far for me. Sorry Viking guy.

Does anyone know any singletrack riding in this area? The local bike shop kept trying to steer me towards towpaths and rails-to-trails. Lame. I mostly ride cross-country, and I love a good downhill. I've been here for a week and a half and I'm going crazy. Somebody most know of somewhere around here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The most active ohio forums are over at http://joinomba.org and http://spokejunkies.com and each site has trail reviews.

Dayton has Huffman Metropark, Caesars Creek, John Bryan, Great Seal, Westwood, Heuston Woods, East fork and Alumn Creek all within an hour and a half drive, in order of distance.

I don't know much in New Philadelphia, but you are within an hour and a half or so of Mohican State Park, Vultures Knob, and Dillon. If I were going to recomend one of the three this time of year, I would check out Mohican first. The 20+ miles of trail are worth the drive.

mtbr member
    Right on. I discovered Spokejunkies site today. It's cool. I'm aware of a lot of the riding in the State Parks; I was kinda hoping that someone knew a place that was really close by so that I could ride after work.

Thanks for the reply though!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Hello,
    i'm moving form France to Dayton this winter and for 8 month, I wanted to know if there are DH tracks close to Dayton, or Dirt areas in Dayton... It seems reading Tesla that DH tracks are at least one hour drive, but what about dirt ones ?

And what kind of city is Dayton ? I'm going to the University, I heared it was a good one, fast developping, but I'd like to know how was the city...

Thanks !

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ptsi
    Hello,
    i'm moving form France to Dayton this winter and for 8 month, I wanted to know if there are DH tracks close to Dayton, or Dirt areas in Dayton... It seems reading Tesla that DH tracks are at least one hour drive, but what about dirt ones ?

And what kind of city is Dayton ? I'm going to the University, I heared it was a good one, fast developping, but I'd like to know how was the city...

Thanks !
    I'm from Columbus and am just getting into the sport so I can't really help you much on specific trails, although I know there are supposed to be a couple good ones around Dayton that are on one of the Ohio Mountain biking sites. Dayton as a city is not bad, if you're in Kettering that seems to be a pretty nice area. I'm originally from Atlanta, GA and moved to Ohio about 7 years ago, so I'm not extremely familiar with Dayton. Maybe someone else can help you out more.

Anyone know of any good trails in or around Columbus? Only ones I've seen are down near Lancaster or Alum Creek (which is way north of Columbus). I'm on the east side, in Reynoldsburg actually. There is a bike path from JFK park in Reynoldsburg over to Blacklick park which is a couple miles, then there's a multi-purpose type trail that is 4.1 miles at Blacklick park. From my house to Blacklick park and back is probably 12-13 miles. Blacklick' trail is really wide and won't do me any good but to try to get myself back into shape cardio-wise.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Ohio Trails

Tesla listed most of Ohio's most well known trails if you would like to get a fair list I would go to www.ombc.net this is the Ohio Mountain Bike Championship website if you go to the list of races it will tell you of many trails in Ohio, where they are located and how to get there from the most populated cities. Most of our trails in the state are singletrack if your looking for downhill Ohio is not the place for you.. our best trails such as Caesars Creek, Vultures Knob, and the Mohican Wilderness contain lots of arduous uphills, but wherever there is uphill there must be downhill, if your willing to do it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    if anyone wnats to ride let me know...i am out all the time. just send me a PM and we can work out a time to ride!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Check out the trail review section of the Spokejunkie site.

http://www.spokejunkies.com/reviews/index_ohio.php

Also, the group has rides on most weekends between April and November. Sign up for the ride list email and/or keep an eye on the forums and calendar for group rides.

Trails near New Philly, I'd looks at trails around Zanesville - Dillon, the Wilds and AEP. Vultures Knob should be fairly close as well.

Columbus is relatively close (maybe an hour or so) to many trails but Alum phases 1 and 2 are closest. You NEED to ride Great Seal and Mohican State Park. Lake Hope is also worth the drive.

As for Dayton, my vote is for Caesar's Creek. Also, check the trails mentioned by Tesla.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by climbingsponge
    I just moved to New Philly, OH, south of Canton. I moved from Arizona (it wasn't my choice). Dayton is a bit far for me. Sorry Viking guy.

Does anyone know any singletrack riding in this area? The local bike shop kept trying to steer me towards towpaths and rails-to-trails. Lame. I mostly ride cross-country, and I love a good downhill. I've been here for a week and a half and I'm going crazy. Somebody most know of somewhere around here.
    Why the hell did you move to Phila from AZ? I live in Dover so I'm like a hop away, but there's not many places super close nearby except there's some trespreass riding which is sort of dirtbike trails which can be sloppy and there's Camp Tuscazoar which is in Phila but that's not really to singletrack-y and fun but it's still something to ride I guess. Closest trail is the knob up in Wooster aand yeah...

It rains here. :(
    I moved to the Dayton area this past April due to my job. All of my family is from Dayton, so it's cool to be back. I've only been able to ride at John Bryan, Huffman, and Hueston Woods. All 3 being somewhat different types of rides. Before moving, I lived in Phoenix, AZ and had the pleasure of riding South Mountain, McDowell, Hawes, Phoenix Mtn Preserve, and Estrella and W. Tanks. I miss AZ a lot yet feel lucky to work so close to my family after being all over for the last 12 years. I must say though, it's starting to get crazy cold here, and I'm already planning a visit back to AZ in March. If anyone posts up a ride in Dayton, I'd be willing to join up so long as the temp is above freezing and someone can recommend some cold weather gear. I have been riding the SS since moving here, the 6-inch FS bike hasn't seen the need to be ridden yet. It still has the red dirt of Sedona on it.
    07 GF Rig