mtbr member

New to Ohio riding, need advice on bike set up.

Just moved to the Columbus area.
    I was wondering it seems like a 26" or 29" hardtail with gears is the way to go.
    Does that seem right?
    I have been riding a single speed around through the area and it seems like it's pretty flat out here and that the SS spins out rather easy.
    Although due to weather have not been off road that much to any of the better trails in the area.

So would it be btter to go SS, hardtail, 29er or short travel fs?

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Really loving the country here so far compared to the dry desert terrain of Southern California.

thanks in advance

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    When I was back in Columbus, I used a standard 26" hardtail and a short travel dually.

But that was before there were too many 29" hardtails and a 'long travel' dually was 4". You could say it's been a while.

It's hard to keep off the dirt, but it stays wet for a long time at Alum. Once it dries out, it should be pretty decent. A road trip up to Mohican should be drier, and a bit different than the local riding. Lots of decent road trips are pretty close - Brown Co is about 3 hours, Versailles about the same, and not too much further for places like Ft Custer.

Might want to ask over at www.mtbohio.org and see what the current fav's are, and who are the good local shops. I had good luck with Baer Wheels and Bicycle One, but it (again) was ages ago. The midwest is a great playground for SS, hartails, and short travel dualies.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tostudent
    Really loving the country here so far compared to the dry desert terrain of Southern California.
    I NEVER thought I'd hear that!!

Actually, if you go to any of the local trails, you'll probably see all of the setups you mentioned. Whatever works for you, I guess. I went from a 26" hardtail to a 26" FS for riding the rooty trails in Northern Ohio (a few too many "slaps" to my underpinings, if you know what I mean), but a hardtail would be fine. I ride with a few SS guys that blaze through the trails, too. I'm sure a SS at Mohican SP would be rather interesting...
    better than he was before. better. stronger. faster.