mtbr member
    Jun 2012

New Bike for Royalview, Regan, etc.

Hello all,

I'm a road cyclist looking to take advantage of the trails around me. The opening of Royalview has encouraged me to get a MTB and take to the trail.

I have some questions that I hope someone could answer for me. I've been checking out various bikes at LBS's and have landed on getting a 29er hardtail. I was considering a full suspension as well, but was told by multiple people that around here you would never really need a full sus. Is that true?

Also, having not ridden the trails, I'm going off what I'm told. But I was told that for Regan and Royalview a Cross country bike will be great. And that bike will be able to do most of the other trails in the area (Wilds, West Branch, Vultures Knob.) Another store told me that because it was a 29er that I would not be able to take it to places like Vultures Knob because of the drops and jumps.

As a beginner I don't want to do drops and jumps, but I can tell I will at some point. Is it true a 29er hardtail can't handle those? Couldn't it be upgraded to handle the abuse?

Lastly, I've narrowed it down to three bikes. I can't post links because of my post count but:

-Giant XTC 2 $1,400
    -Diamondback Overdrive XC (or Comp depending on where it's purchased) ~$1,000
    -Diamondback Overdrive $600

The XTC is over my budget and partwise it seems like the frame is the only "upgrade" over the diamondbacks.

I am heavily leaning towards a Diamondback but am confused if I should go for the base model and upgrade parts as they break or spend the extra 400 for a better fork and brakes upfront on the XC.

Also, I was told suntour forks are worthless and can not be repaired. This is what is pushing me towards the XC/Comp too.

Sorry for the wall of text, but any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

THANKS!

Suckin wind like a boss
    Whoever told you a 29er couldnt handle the knob, and other trails like it, is a moron. there are less than a handful of switchbacks at vultures knob where having a 26" wheel is an absolute advantage over a 29" wheel, and that advantage would only be on race day. as a rule, there is nothing that a 29er cant handle that a 26er can. thats crap.

If you want to know how a 29er will ride on the trail, go to edge outdoors in medina- it happens to be right across the street from the huffman trail at reagan, and they have several 29er HT demos available. drivers license and CC and you have a demo bike that you can actually take on the trail and see for yourself.

you definitely dont need an FS bike for any of the trails in NE Ohio. However, riding a 4" FS bike will definitely make some of these rooty rides a lot more controllable and comfortable. if 1400 for the XTC is over your budget, then dont shop for a full squish bike- stick with hardtails, youll wind up with a dramatically nicer ride at whatever price point you decide to spend at.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

Hermit
    Basically agree with what big terry has to say.

Only like to add that by starting your mtb riding on a hardtail you'll get a chance to learn some basic skills easier than if you start on a FS.

Good luck with the sport - its waaaay too much fun.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/