mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Naperville, IL anywhere decent to ride?

Looks like I'm going to be in Naperville, IL for the better part of a week and always like to ride new places when I can. Any decent singletrack there or within ~30 min drive? Thanks

Riding and lovin it.
    Palos at 95st and wolf Rd or search Maple Lake in Cook C. fp

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Here is the Trail Guide page from CAMBr.org (Chicago Area Mountain Bikers). On the south side of Naperville is Knoch Knolls which is a relative flat, twisty trail, nothing to tough or long. Saw Wee Kee in Oswego is a tight twisting, small hills roller coaster, not too long, but fun and challenging. Palos is the biggest system, a bit of everything. If you can, post up when you plan on riding, one of us locals may be able to show you around.

Northern Illinois Trail Guides | CAMBr - Chicago Area Mountain Bikers

mtbr member
    Knoch Knolls/ Dupage river park is good for a quicky. Single and Double tracks. They used to hold races there.

mtbr member
    Palos is best!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lml427 View Post
    Here is the Trail Guide page from CAMBr.org (Chicago Area Mountain Bikers). On the south side of Naperville is Knoch Knolls which is a relative flat, twisty trail, nothing to tough or long. Saw Wee Kee in Oswego is a tight twisting, small hills roller coaster, not too long, but fun and challenging. Palos is the biggest system, a bit of everything. If you can, post up when you plan on riding, one of us locals may be able to show you around.

Northern Illinois Trail Guides | CAMBr - Chicago Area Mountain Bikers

I will be arriving 1/27 and leaving 2/1. I saw about the Knoch Knolls trail on here but most of the reviews were pretty dated and basically said the same thing. Really as of right now I don't have any plans on any of those nights unless there is a dinner I have to attend but otherwise I'm up for rides after 5pm.

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_dood View Post
    I will be arriving 1/27 and leaving 2/1. I saw about the Knoch Knolls trail on here but most of the reviews were pretty dated and basically said the same thing. Really as of right now I don't have any plans on any of those nights unless there is a dinner I have to attend but otherwise I'm up for rides after 5pm.

Thanks
    Your schedule might make things a little difficult. Palos is "not legal" to ride after sunset. There are occasional evening rides at Knoch Knolls. Your best bet may be the Sunday you arrive. Keep us posted.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Saw Wee Kee is fun!

Now older but less slow!

Naperville, IL anywhere decent to ride?

Knock Knolls is legal to ride at night for 1 hour after sunset. I use to ride it a lot when I lived a few minutes from there. KK is arguably more fun at night than during the day.

SWK I don't think is technically legal to ride at night but many people do as its not really policed. SWK at night would be scary though unless you have a local guide.

As mentioned Palos is illegal at night and it is actively policed. That's not to say people don't ride there at night - you just have to know the right people.

I would reach our to CAMBr. They're a friendly bunch and have a Facebook page as well. It you can contact a guy by the name of Ben (I won't post his last name) he is usually a good bet for guiding you around KK at night. Tell him Kerry sent you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Thanks for all the help guys but the weather was a bust so I didn't even get to take my bike. Now I know where to go next time, hopefully be back in spring.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Theoretically it's illegal to ride one hour after sunset till one hour after sunrise in all forest preserves or rail trails. Mostly they don't enforce it. Though I did get pulled over one night last year, but only because they thought my fat bike was a snowmobile.

Riding's good on a fatty right now.

Now older but less slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Pressure View Post
    Theoretically it's illegal to ride one hour after sunset till one hour after sunrise in all forest preserves or rail trails. Mostly they don't enforce it. Though I did get pulled over one night last year, but only because they thought my fat bike was a snowmobile.

Riding's good on a fatty right now.
    This wasn't my understanding. Perhaps the issue was not being on the trail but rather the parking lot. You will get ticketed if your car is still in a FP lot after sunset.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Wish that was the case, but it's not. The one our after sunrise is the real killer this time of year.

Note that trails within the Forest Preserve District of DuPage County preserves have hours of operation that are monitored by the Forest Preserve District police. Preserves and trails are open to the public from one hour after sunrise to one hour after sunset, unless different hours are posted. For further information regarding trails within Forest Preserves, contact the District at: 630/933-7200.