Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

MTB planning campout for Boy Scouts

930 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Clymber 
#1 ·
I am dragging one or both of my scouts, a fellow scout leader, and one of his scouts to Brown County this weekend to plan a MTB campout for our troop and venture crew.

While the boys are inexperienced mountain bikers, they are scouts :) They know their limitations, and can hike anything they cannot bike. However, this isn't a hike planning trip. I don't want to subject them to trails they must mostly hump.

Slightly rocky, rooty isn't an issue, nor is grade, outside stuff that's only the top 15% of us can handle. They won't be clearing logs, but it's no issue to dismount on occasion. Tight switchbacks can be difficult when steering beyond 30º, or when rocky with a deep inside drop. Not particularly adept at sliding or drifting, even though they claim otherwise :)

I plan to hit Valley Branch Retreat early Friday afternoon. Hopefully they will be running a shuttle so we don't finish the day wore out. Aiming to run a lot of the green on their map, and Copper Head Ridge.

We will ride the park on Saturday, starting with Limekiln, probably continuing down Walnut trail and stopping at Hesitation point before heading back for lunch. Then plan to drive over to North Tower Loop parking to hit that and the Aynes loop.

Anything to avoid? Anything to not miss? Three of us backpacked the Rockies this summer, I don't fear anything we may have to push or carry our bikes through or around. However, I do want to concentrate our time in areas where we can spend the most time on the bikes. If there is anything that will be a real bear for us, or a real trreat, I'd appreciate insight from those that have already traversed these trails.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Your selected route misses a lot of great intermediate stuff out there.

Limekiln is great, and Walnut is too, but Green Valley is just a lot of fun. It also happens to be furthest from any roads or fire roads. If they are inexperienced riders, they will probably be walking a good part of the middle third of Walnut due to the irregular chunk. The ends are more rideable. If you can work Green Valley into your plans, I think you'd have a great trip. HP itself is pretty awesome. The big rock garden near the top is a great spot to session. Cleaning that going downhill is one thing. Cleaning it going up is entirely something else.

Generally speaking, in the area, Nebo Ridge is a great old school trail. It's got some big climbs at each end, but once on top, it's got some pretty flowy singletrack. Nothing there is all that difficult, either. It's also incredibly quiet. I last rode there in the spring and only saw a handful of mushroom hunters out in the woods. Nobody else was actually on the trail that day. You can make it a loop by adding Combs Rd. as a return segment. It's a closed gravel county road that's popular for gravel routes.

#3 ·
To give them flexibility to creating their own experiences, we must limit where they can go. If we hold a campout at BCSP, they can access Limekiln from within the camping area, and can cross roads from there to access more trails, but no riding on the roads.

At VBR, they can access all VBR trails from within the retreat.

At Gnawbone, they can access any still useable trails there, or grind it out on connectors to VBR. Have to see how the lady at gnawbone feels about that.

Our basecamp shuttle capability is limited, so it's best to have quick turnaround. The troop trailer can haul most of the bikes, but it's a big trailer that requires a big truck. Great for getting everything there, not so great for running about on side trips.

I've already got a plan for Nebo Ridge. We will be a few miles away on Lake Monroe for summer camp. Going to sneak away with two other dads once the boys know their program areas. While there, I'm going to take a look at another scout camp that is just under three miles from Nebo Ridge. If the roads are decent, that would be an easy shuttle run with my open trailer and a second vehicle.

What about Hickory Ridge? It's even closer.

Thanks!

#4 ·
Hickory is an option. I haven't ridden there, but I do know that not many folks ride it by itself. They usually create a lollipop route with Nebo Ridge. Hickory is a mix of trail and gravel/fire road stuff, also. I wouldn't call it can't miss trail (like I'm saying Green Valley is). If you ever wanted to set up a bikepacking trip, it would be an important component, though.

I'm not sure what your comment about riding on roads has to do with our discussion. I wasn't suggesting riding any (Combs Rd. is not open to cars anymore, but you do have to access a couple VERY lightly traveled dirt roads to get to it).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.