Thread: Moving to Ohio

mtbr member

Moving to Ohio

So, I found out today I'm moving to Ohio and having never been there I would love some help from the mtb community. I am going to post a pretty detailed list and hope someone can help me with what I am looking for. I know nothing and have moved a bunch and found that trusting realtors is not nearly as good as trusting MTB'ers. I would love to find a good combination of a cyclist/realtor.

I need to be within an hour of the airport and would prefer to be within an hour of Akron. I am leaning towards the city I guess. Schools are very important as I have 3 elementary/middle school age kids. I would like an established/bike friendly neighborhood that's safe and close to the cool stuff that the city has to offer. I would like a local trail somewhat nearby, less than 30 minutes away for getting good weekday rides in and I'd love to be able to get in some good road riding as well.

Any suggestions and thanks!!

mtbr member
    Akron would be a great choice. From Akron you are 30 to 45 min. from five trails, West Branch, Medina (Huffman/Regan park), Quail Hollow, O&ECR and the new trail at Royalview in Strongsville. You would also be about 40min. from the Cleveland airport and 30min. from the Akron/Canton airport. Stow and Hudson have great school systems. I don't have kids , so others might be able to give a bit more help. You might what to post on camba.us for more feedback. There's great road riding in and around the Cuyahoga Valley National Park and the Hike-N-Bike (Stow Loop) as well as the Tow Path. The city of Akron has put in a lot of bike lanes in the past few years which makes getting around by bike pretty easy. Hope this helps and welcome to Ohio!
    I think I pulled...myself

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I live in Stow and agree with the previous post that the schools in Stow and Hudson are good I have 2 kids in elementary school and I'm happy with the schools so far. It seems that I'm about 45 minutes from the mtb trails no matter what direction I go in which is kinda a pain with kids but I also live 5 minutes from the bike and hike trail which is paved and real nice for the road bike it goes from almost Akron to Cleveland and you can ride it without having to worry about cars other than crossing roads.

Suckin wind like a boss
    Medina itself is a suburb or both cleveland and akron, about equidistant between the two with easy access to either via interstate (I-71 to cleve, I-76 to akron.) within an hour you have the trails mentioned above, but remove quail hollow from the list and add vultures knob, and findley state park.

medina does have excellent schools, and the reagan park trail network is not even 5 minutes from the middle of town. many of the medina county schools are also rated pretty highly (the non-city districts) and have dumped a bunch of money into development over the last 5 to 10 years.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

mtbr member
    After a bit of review I think I'm going to focus my search on the Lakewood area of Cleveland. Any positives or negatives on this area. I like a more metro environment. My folks live out near Hudson, they've been there for four or five years but are relocating about the same time I move. I just can't see living that far out from the metro area. I was told there are some local trails within 20 minutes or so from Lakewood and a pretty strong road and commuter scene there. That's appealing to us.

Suckin wind like a boss
    cleveland gets a great turnout for critical mass. mtb-wise, if you live metro, you are going to drive for trails. royalview just opened this weekend in strongsville, thats the closest you'll find to flakewood and it is definitely beginner-oriented... but the remaining trails that have been mentioned are still within reach, just add a good half-hour to drive times to get there.

lakewood isnt too bad. very gay-friendly community; once had the highest per-capita LGBT population nationwide (even beat san fran). Dont believe it is known for that anymore, but there has been a lot of development over the last several years to try to modernize. you could do worse.

im a redneck country boy, however, and medina would be far more to my liking i would rather drive a half-hour for groceries, and 5 minutes to a trailhead, rather than the other way around.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

mtbr member
    Lakewood is pretty nice, my aunt use to live there and she really liked it. Like big terry said Royalview will be closest as well as O&ECR and Medina (Huffman/Regan park). It seems, like myself you enjoy bicycling of all forms. So you might also be interested in the velodrome that is currently under construction in the Slavic Village. It's about 15min. from Lakewood. They say it should be up and running some time in July. Check out Fast Track Cycling for more details.
    I think I pulled...myself

Extra Crispy
    I've lived on Cleveland's westside my entire life. There are some areas of Lakewood you're going to want to avoid, namely the eastern half of it. Any of the suburbs west of Lakewood like Rocky River, Westlake, and Bay Village are great. I'd recommend my high school alma mater of Fairview, but their city taxes are ridiculous.

I'm in West Park now (far west edge of Cleveland 5 minutes from the airport) and it's a fairly nice neighborhood. If you're going to enroll your kids in a non-city school, they're all within walking distance and from what I understand, many of Cleveland's firefighters and police officers live in West Park.
    Now with eggs.

mtbr member
    We wound up in Shaker. Hope it works out. I'm excited to get here now. It will still be a couple of months. Probably around 9/1.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PimpCane View Post
    So, I found out today I'm moving to Ohio and having never been there I would love some help from the mtb community. I am going to post a pretty detailed list and hope someone can help me with what I am looking for. I know nothing and have moved a bunch and found that trusting realtors is not nearly as good as trusting MTB'ers. I would love to find a good combination of a cyclist/realtor.

I need to be within an hour of the airport and would prefer to be within an hour of Akron. I am leaning towards the city I guess. Schools are very important as I have 3 elementary/middle school age kids. I would like an established/bike friendly neighborhood that's safe and close to the cool stuff that the city has to offer. I would like a local trail somewhat nearby, less than 30 minutes away for getting good weekday rides in and I'd love to be able to get in some good road riding as well.

Any suggestions and thanks!!
    I strongly suggest North Canton Ohio. Schools are great (mainly Hoover and Jackson). North Canton is a great area, it is an upper middle class area. You would only be about 20 minutes from Akron and within minutes of the Akron Canton Airport. Good places to look in North Canton would be St.James Place, and St.Ives (St.James would put you in the best elementary school). Feel free to PM, I grew up in the area and have a lot of information I can share with you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    You'll enjoy Shaker, it's a really diverse community and there are a lot of really great options for kids in the area. The Cleveland Hts. University Hts. area is a great place pretty much any day of the week for whatever you're into dining, museums, plays, shopping. I'm a west sider and I get around quite a bit so if you ever need a riding partner feel free to contact me. -Kyle