mtbr member
    May 2012

moving to IL need advice

im moving to peoria pekin area at the end of the month and im coming from colorado springs need some places that might compare i want some technical stuff and does galena open up in the off season for mountain bikes i mostly do downhill hill free ride

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    alot of riding in peoria The Peoria Area Mountain Bike Association - Welcome!, supposedly galena has something in the works for some DH runs, this year.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Soon you will find that downhilling is what you used to do. Nothing will compare to to Colorado Springs, not even remotely with a vivid imagination. There is great riding though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I live in SoCal, I was born and raised in Urbana,IL . You won't find anything even close too what you're use too riding, and you will get bored soon with what the area has too offer. I go back too central IL a few times a year too visit my parents, and I ended up buying a road bike too have back there just too have something too ride. I'd say start planning riding vacations.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The vacations are a definate but i grew up in central il so i kinda know what to expect just wondering were there might be some technical stuff that would keep tje skills shape for when i do vacation

mtbr member extraordinair
    There is lots of good riding around Peoria. There are 6 trail systems to choose from. Some is mildly technical, but not a lot. 99% of it is pure XC riding. There is a very small downhill run in the area, but don't expect anything that compares to what you are used to. If this will be a permanent move, Id consider selling or trading your DH bike for an XC bike out there where the market for them is better.
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Comlara (Lake Evergreen) is still one of my favorite trails. Its only 45min-1hr drive from you Pekin.
    "Never mistake motion for action."

"If I can bicycle, I bicycle."

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    There are some fun technial areas, but nothing "Coloradian," PAMBA is always building and updating trails, so maybe add some input and help on some of the things you are interested in.

If you are in the Peoria area, you will have a good amount of trail to choose from, mostly XC, but some good technical as well... Not downhill tech, but it will help keep your handling skills in check for when you go back out west.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Cool thanks for rhe advice

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    And if you like, look me up and I can show you the parks and such. PAMBA also does group rides (at different levels of experience) at the different parks.

and we usually go out for a beer after.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dtrb View Post
    im moving to peoria pekin area at the end of the month and im coming from colorado springs need some places that might compare i want some technical stuff and does galena open up in the off season for mountain bikes i mostly do downhill hill free ride
    Midwest Downhill Advocacy | Don't fight gravity.

Some excellent DH trails are being built at Galena but they are not open to the public yet.

Also, nordic mountain: Mountain Info | Nordic Mountain runs lifts on the 2nd Saturday of each month, they also have a really cool wake park.

Professional Troll
    Get a moto and start riding track. MTB in IL isn't worth riding if you're used to go stuff.

mtbr member
    Want real advise?
    DON'T DO IT!!!

There isn't a job that pays enough or a woman good enough to make that move worth it.

Ever watch "The Middle" or "Parks and Recreation"?
    It's all true.
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed sheep, contesting the vote.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Getting out the army my father owns a business and i grew up there to much for me not to move back

mtbr member
    Getting out the army my father owns a business and i grew up there to much for me not to move back
    No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

It's impossible to over-emphasize what I'm about to say.

Do NOT do it.
    This is from someone who's stuck in a family business and is too old to start over and get out. (I've been trying for five years)

You're young and can get a start anywhere. It won't be as easy but it will be so worth it.
    Don't settle for the easy way. The price for the easy way is often a dead soul.

This country has beautiful, awesome, incredible areas that will allow you to truly enjoy your life to the fullest.
    None of them are here.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Mine and thw wifes whole family is there and im going to school there and the family business wont be my only job

mtbr member
    Mine and thw wifes whole family is there and im going to school there and the family business wont be my only job
    Your parent's mistakes don't have to be yours. What environment would you like YOUR kids to grow up in?

Oh well, I've said enough. Think about this thread 20 years from now. Can't say you weren't warned.

mtbr member
    Haha at above.

I'm fixing to move to the middle of Illinois but for school. I knew I was not in mountain bike area when 3 years ago I went there to meet my girlfriend's family (in Chicago) and we drove for I think 10 miles to find a hill (what I call Mt. Illinois) to go sledding.

It'll be tough coming from Atlanta to cowfields but I only have 2 years of it. Then I'm getting the heck out of there (hopefully California or New Zealand).

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    There are a lot more reasons than just the lack of mountain biking to skip Illinois. Taxes, weather, flat, weather, lack of jobs, weather, you know the score.

Good luck. At least forest fires are extremely rare in Illinois.

Natty Dread
    Man Peoria seems to be the tough zone for MTB. At least in CHI you've got Wisconsin, Indiana and Western Michigan within reach for mtb. I lived in Minneapolis for a couple of years and there was a decent mtb scene 9 years ago now it's pretty ripping. Seems like living in Indy, Louisville, Grand Rapids, Mpls, Madison, Milwaukee and CHI are good mtb zones for the Midwest, but those would only be places I would go if the job/situation where too good to be true. It really is location location location. I lived in places that made ense on paper and I just wanted to leave the entire time. Florida was that place for me. No business being there for a guy into mtb and skiing. FL does have good mtb trails now, believe it or not, but you are always dying to go someplace with real features not just making the best of a bad situation. Since Mpls I've lived in Salt Lake City and now San Francisco. Best moves of my life and all to do with the setting...everything else just worked out.

mtbr member extraordinair
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Pedals View Post
    Man Peoria seems to be the tough zone for MTB. At least in CHI you've got Wisconsin, Indiana and Western Michigan within reach for mtb.
    Like I said before, Peoria has LOTS of great riding. There are 6 XC trails around Peoria. All within a 20 minutes drive from each other. Chicago has Palos, and beyond that you are driving for an hour or two to get to Wisconsin or other places. It is just not a very good scene for downhill riding, but then again nothing in the midwest is, save for a few select spots in Michigan.
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    interesting thread. peoria is probably one of the better areas in illinois for mtb. i do like how wi isn't too far from the chicagoland area and palos and swk are fun.

i understand the family thing. i've lived in illinois my whole life. it's not a bad place to raise a family but not much outdoors- of course depends on what you like.

many people like illinois because of chicago since it's a great city- many aren't a fan of the whole center part of the state- from I-80 to Murphysboro is pretty much flat corn fields (with the exception of some ravines here and there). southern illinois is a great place with many wooded areas, bluffs, lakes, and streams.

i am trying to get out of the state but can't right at this time for some personal family issues and the housing market- more for the family illness though. the taxes are absurd- higher near chicago so not as bad in central to southern illinois.

make the best of it and enjoy! one piece of advice though- if you are looking to move after school, etc, make the move sooner than later so you don't get stuck here.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I hear you Eric. Just wait until they change the school pension funding. Taxes will be absurd.

I usually try to make the best of any situation. But dam is it hot right now!
    I ride at 6am every morning and this morning it was 81, humid and buggy!

I'm moving back to Colorado ASAP!

Hopefully, Sunday I'll be back to my normal cheerful self?

mtbr member
    As an outsider looking (and coming) in I feel if Illinois could annex itself from Chicago, it'd probably be in much better shape. It's a great city and I love going there but whomever runs the town should probably be tased at least once a week for the mind numbing bureacracies I've had to deal with whle trying to move to Illinois. I can only assume that is a product of Chicago.
    Negative Reps Please.

Soy Loco

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Just remember, our current POTUS is a product of that bureaucracy!