Thread: Moving to IL

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Moving to IL

Hi All,

I will be relocating to IL in the next few weeks and need some advice on where to live. I have an outside sales position which doesn't require me to be in the office so I don't have to worry about being close to my company's facility which is in South Holland. So far I have been looking at the Schaumburg area since it is about the center of my territory but the apartments there seem higher priced than what I want to pay. I also know that the guy who had the job before me was living in Villa Park which seemed ok. Are there any other areas around there that I should be considering or any areas I should stay away from?

Also, how far am I going to have to drive to get to a decent trail??

Thanks

mtbr member
    Ill start with the trails.

First look at Palos MTB Trail in Palos Heights, thats about 25 minutes west of Holland. Said to be one of the best trails in IL (I personally have not been there yet).

Petrifying Springs About 2 hours north. Little small but its a fun trail.

Kettle Moraine in LaGrange, WI. Little over a 2 hour ride north of Holland but its a huge area with the best XC trails around. Some spots are a little more technical but thats why I love it.

Comlara Park in Hudson, IL just outside of Normal, IL. About 2 hours south west of Holland. One of my favorites, trails are numbered and easy to follow. Trail #6 has all of the good features!

As for the living situation, just dont live in Waukegan =)
    "Never mistake motion for action."

"If I can bicycle, I bicycle."

mtbr member
    Sections of Villa Park can be sketchy, make sure you are comfortable with the area before you sign any lease.

Yes Schaumburg rents can be a bit on the high side, the area is also super congested.

Check out Wheaton or Glen Ellyn (just west of Villa Park), also check out renting a townhouse or condo, don't limit yourself to an apartment complex, lots of stuff for rent now.

Be thankful you do not have to live in South Holland.

My $0.02.

mtbr member
    If your working in South Holland and your sales area is not just Illinois & Wisconsin you might want to look at Northwest Indiana taxes and the cost of living is cheaper and there is more riding areas. If you look in Indiana the real cost saving starts once you get to Porter county.

Some trails in NW Indiana
    Portage - Outback Trail @ Imagination Glen
    Westville - Bluhm County Trail
    Potatoe Creek SP - North Liberty
    Warsaw - Winona Lake

Also if you ride a road bike part of the time, there is some really good roads in Laporte County with no traffic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ChapmanMTB27 View Post
    As for the living situation, just dont live in Waukegan =)
    Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not? I see the rent in that area seems to be really low so I'm guessing it is not a nice place to live.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallsilver1 View Post
    Sections of Villa Park can be sketchy, make sure you are comfortable with the area before you sign any lease.

Yes Schaumburg rents can be a bit on the high side, the area is also super congested.

Check out Wheaton or Glen Ellyn (just west of Villa Park), also check out renting a townhouse or condo, don't limit yourself to an apartment complex, lots of stuff for rent now.

Be thankful you do not have to live in South Holland.

My $0.02.
    Any idea where I can find rental listings for townhomes or condos in that area? And I am thankful I don't have to live in South Holland....that place is sketchy!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RockHillMtBiker View Post
    Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not? I see the rent in that area seems to be really low so I'm guessing it is not a nice place to live.
    Its basically like living in the suburbs right outside of chicago. If you go to the walmart you most likely wont be able to communicate with many people.
    "Never mistake motion for action."

"If I can bicycle, I bicycle."

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ChapmanMTB27 View Post
    Its basically like living in the suburbs right outside of chicago. If you go to the walmart you most likely wont be able to communicate with many people.
    I currently live in South Carolina so not being able to understand someone at Walmart is nothing new for me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RockHillMtBiker View Post
    Any idea where I can find rental listings for townhomes or condos in that area? And I am thankful I don't have to live in South Holland....that place is sketchy!!
    Check out some options here.

Wheaton Apartment Rentals, Condos for Rent in Wheaton, Lease: Condo.com

mtbr member
    I would also recommend checking out rentals in Bartlett as well as Lake Zurich.

Bartlett is west of Schaumburg and has a couple of good forest preserves with gravel trails nearby. Lake Zurich is northwest of Schaumburg, but only an hour southeast of Kettle Moraine, where the best riding can be found.
    "Ride what you love, love what you ride"

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Villa Park's not really sketchy, it's just not very nice. No downtown per sey, small track houses and lot's of old people.

Take a look at Elmhurst, which is right next to VP. Nice downtown, close to expressways, short train downtown, close to both airports and lot's of MILF's.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    As far as trails go, someone mentioned Comlara in Hudson, but there are about 6 others around Peoria. All the details are at Peoria Area Trails. Some pretty good riding, definitely worth the drive.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Indiana idea seems good since you will have access to trails in three states but it will take you out of your sales area. Since you're in outside sales I'm going to assume that you're cool with driving to trails and it might be better to concentrate on a location central to your sales area. Just taking a quick look at the area, north and east of Schaumburg is pricy, south and west might be lower.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    just north of Schaumburg is nice and you will be closer to kettle. I live in fox lake which is about an hour from kettle but just south of me is lake zurich which is a nice area.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The suburbs are huge, there are probably a 100+ towns that you could choose from. Other than your work location which you said you don't have to be that close to is there anything in particular you're looking for from your new town?

For trails

In the context of all of this is the midwest and not the mountains......
    Palos is a great trail location with the most milage of dirt in Northern IL, Willow Springs is the town that's closest if you're looking at a map.
    Saw Wee Kee in Oswego is a smaller spot but makes up for it in that the trails are rarely straight or flat for more than 50' at a time.
    More singletrack is planned for the NW burbs in the Carpentersville Area. There are 2 parks that will be breaking ground on some new singletrack this year.

If you like to get some air under your tires there are bike parks in Chicago(the garden) and Plainfield(Plainfield Bike Park).

CAMBr.org is the place for recognized trail locations in the surburb. There are plenty more places to ride that are not officially supported by the land managers and the level of tolerance of bikes on single track at those spots can be very different from one to another.

Rock Cut State park in the Rockford is also an option in the NW IL area Home - Rock Cut Trail Crew

Peoria area for day trips, 2-3 hours south from the Chicago area, has several great trail systems. www.pambamtb.org/ has info for the trails in that area.
    CAMBr West
    Gives us a couple bucks and we'll give you some trails with sweet jumps and stuff.

mtbr member
    If you can try and ride a couple of these trails and think about which one you'd want to be closest to before making your choice. My recommendation would be about an hour from Kettle Morraine in southern Wisconsin.
    You will be scarred for life if you click my avatar

mtbr member
    Okay. You should check out Lombard area. It is close to Villa Park (where I grew up- its not bad at all if you stay on the south side of VP). The beauty of Lombard and VP is that they are at the hub of every major highway in the chicagoland area, so everywhere is reasonable close by expressway. Palos Trails are 20 mins away, 35 in traffic.

Unless you are a pure XC guy and are real concerned about your bibs and cadence, you'll probably have more fun at Palos then Kettle Moraine. Kettle is great once in a while, but I seriously do not know how in the hell people consider it the best riding in the midwest or some garbage.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Come on out to Barrington! Close to Schaumburg without the congestion. Just a little over an hour to S Kettle trails and even less down to Palos. Deer Grove, while limited, is in town. Get a road bike, people come from all over to ride our hills. Get into CX, It is exploding in the Chicagoland area and in Wisconsin. Tons of clubs and group rides for all skill levels.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    i used this site to plan out a few rides with a few friends" trails . com" i live near the quad cities, and about 30-40 miles from us is a place called Johnson Sauk Trails in Kewanee Illinois. nice place to ride in the fall.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

illinios has some nice trails

love to go to palos and farmdale

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hi! I had the same dilemma when I moved here in Houston. I am now residing in an an exclusive neighborhood here in Houston Heights. I suggest you look at a secured neighborhood, consider also the amenities available. Use a checklist, it really helps a lot. The best of luck to you

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I have a relative who lives in Four Leaf Towers, nice place... I personally think Palos Heights will be the best option for you, they've got the best trail

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Never been to Palos, but yes, I've heard that it is a nice place to ride.
    How was your visit? There are quite a number of nice neighborhoods here, have you seen Sandalwood Houston or Bayou Lofts? They are just some of the trendy neigborhoods here.