mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Mountain biking near Fort Campbell, KY

I am looking for beta on cross-country mountain bike trails in the area around Fort Campbell, KY. I'll be relocating to Fort Campbell in mid-August and staying for about a year so I'd be interested in after-work trails as well as weekend epic type trails.

Thanks in advance.

Brakes?

I'm sure you know...

But Land Between the Lakes is not too far. The riding is fantastic there.

Something like 45 miles total of singletrack. Sweet flowy singletrack too.

The StL area is only 3.5hrs away too, plenty of riding up here, look me up if you decide to head this way.

JohnnyD

Singletrack +1
    Or just head up north to Mamoth Caves, or anything around Fort Knox. Haven't been looking for too long, and already found quite a few places. I just got out last year, from kansas to knox, so if ya ever need a buddy for that "weekend" epic lemme know. Probably not quite up to your speed, but good company hopefully.
    1x9 Hardtail, yummy.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Those were both great suggestions. I just got done Mapquesting each spot and both look very doable as weekend rides.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    PM me or send me an e-mail, I m at Campbell also and can give you the trail tour and introduce you to the guys at the one good shop around here.
    2008 Stumpjumper FSR 29
    2005 Titus Racer X Ti
    2007 Van Dessel Project WR

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm finally on the ground here at Fort Campbell and am ready to start hitting the bike scene; so here is my first question: which bike shop has a better staff/environment, The Bicycle Center in Clarksville, TN, or Bikes and Moore in Hopkinsville, KY?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I live in Bowling Green KY and my job takes me from southern IN to Northern AL. I'm constantly on the lookout for great ST in the area. Honestly, the best I've found in your area is LBL near Cadiz. The Canal loop is a good place to start but on weekends you'll have high foot traffic to deal with and LBL is generally annoyingly rooted. if you have a semi-bad back like mine you start to curse the roots after the first hour. My favorite trail is Sal Hallow in Mammoth Cave national park. It will take you a while to get there (it takes me only 1/2 hour if the ferry is operational), weekdays you have literally miles of open ST to yourself and it is surprisingly well maintained. There isn't much in the way of big climbs or great downhills (surprisingly) but it is exactly what I like - hard pack ST tons of turns. This is the most scenic Midwest path I've found yet. This past week I spent some time clearing the trail as Ike dumped a few hundred limbs and such.
    Best place to park is the off of the Maple Springs loop.
    http://www.mammoth.cave.national-park.com/map.htm

BIG and Bald

This is not spam...

Welcome to Kentucky. If you're looking to hook up with local riders and what not, check out Kymba at www.bikeclicks.com under the Kymba community. Hope you've liked the trails thus far!!!
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]

bottom dweller
    Apr 2007
    Hey SRO: Welcome to West KY

To your first question: I would check out Lake Barkley State Resort Park. It's Between Cadiz, Ky and the LBL and has some great singletrack with a few different loops. Here's a link:

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...0_4549crx.aspx

Also I'd check out Bikes n Moore's website as they have lots of other trails listed that are in your area.

http://www.bikesandmoore.com/qcms/in...es%20to%20ride

Good luck,
    "What's the use of a fine house if you haven't got a tolerable planet to put it on?" ~Thoreau

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Unezidr,

Thanks for the link. Since I've been here, I've been frequenting Rotary Park, Monty Bell and Ham Creek (made a trip to Raccoon Mountain, too). Ham Creek most closely matches the type of riding that I'm accustomed to in eastern PA and has become my favorite local trail. How does Macedonia Loop compare to Ham Creek? Is it worth the drive from Clarksville?

bottom dweller
    Apr 2007

Hams vs Macedonia

SRO:
    sorry I hadn't checked back in a while to see your question.

Sadly, I've not ridden Hams. I've been to Macedonia once and I wouldn't describe it as "east coast" from what I know of the latter (never biked there either, but seen lots of pixels that make me want to).

So I can't really make the comparison you're looking for. Macedonia was fun the time I went, it's been over a year so the memory is a bit fuzzy, but I remember it being lots of fun with a few rocky/ledge sections near a creek, a few nice big hills to bomb down (or bust a lung climbing) with some fun Trail Features thrown in for kicks. It was also empty when I went on a weekend morning, which is a pleasure in itself.

Honestly, I would highly recommend the Canal Loop in LBL also. It would be easy to get to for you, just head up I-24 to Grand Rivers and you're there. A previous person mentioned hikers, but I've not found them to be excessive (rarely see more than one small group) and I usually go on weekends.

Get out an check 'em all out. Riding bikes is fun, right?
    "What's the use of a fine house if you haven't got a tolerable planet to put it on?" ~Thoreau

Riding makes me happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by steelridesonly
    I'm finally on the ground here at Fort Campbell and am ready to start hitting the bike scene; so here is my first question: which bike shop has a better staff/environment, The Bicycle Center in Clarksville, TN, or Bikes and Moore in Hopkinsville, KY?
    I haven't been to the C-ville shop, but the guys at Bikes and Moore are awesome! My step-dad is stationed at Campbell and I go over to the shop when I visit. They are really nice guys, have a good stock, and don't try to sell you stuff you don't need. I have dealt with a younger guy named Clint (e-mail: clint@bikesandmoore.com) and he is very cool and knowledgeable, as is the rest of the staff. He rides a lot, so he could probably give you some good trail info.

What unit are you in?

Also, I believe there are some trails on the reservation.
    Last edited by Bo55Diesel; 12-10-2008 at 10:14 PM. Reason: More info
    [SIZE="3"][FONT=Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"][SIZE="4"]You guys and gals make me want to ride off-road.[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Check out my Twitter: http://twitter.com/Bohamilton[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Bo55Diesel,

I've finally made it to both shops and I've got a decided favorite (I won't say which one it is though). Both shops have their merits.

As for my unit. I'm not in the military; I am a civilian contractor.

Riding makes me happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by steelridesonly
    Bo55Diesel,

I've finally made it to both shops and I've got a decided favorite (I won't say which one it is though). Both shops have their merits.

As for my unit. I'm not in the military; I am a civilian contractor.
    Glad you found a shop you like. I wish my LBS was cool, but it sucks.

Since you are a contractor, you can ride the trails on the reservation. I will be down visiting in Oak Grove for the holidays and will ask my step-dad about the trails on the reservation and how to get info on them. He may even have some guys in his unit who ride (I'm pretty sure he does).
    [SIZE="3"][FONT=Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"][SIZE="4"]You guys and gals make me want to ride off-road.[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Check out my Twitter: http://twitter.com/Bohamilton[/SIZE]