mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Mountain Biking in Kansas City

My gf moved to Kansas City, MO. I will be visiting her periodically, and was looking for some suggestions on places to ride in the area. Info on where to rent a nice bike (full suspension, 29er, 650b) would be good too...

Thanks

mtbr member
    Don't know about bike rental, but here are some places to ride.. https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...22fafe2444bb58

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The trek store up there i believe does rentals
    Bike Rentals - TrekBicycleStores.com - Bikes, Cycling Clothing, Gear and More
    there is a list of the bikes and the locations that have the rentals.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I am new to the KC area and also new to MTBing but I have been riding at Swope park when I can. Was riding blue river but enjoy Swope a lot more. There is also a park just east of KC called Landahl that I hear is the best in the area but have yet to check it out. Here are a couple links I have
    Trails | KCBike.Info
    ERTA - Earn Your Dirt!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Landahl was great, as is the area in/around Minor Park (maybe called Blue River). Those were my two favorites before I moved to Colorado. Landahl was my favorite because Minor is in a shady-feeling area, though the trails are stellar. Avoid Shawnee Mission trails- there are six zillion ticks there...they fall from trees and wait on bushes/grasses by the trails, and then launch themselves as you ride by. One time, I must have had a couple hundred tiny (even hard to see tiny) ticks on me. I felt the big ones but the small ones were scary. They were really hard to see. They were inside my socks and insoles by the dozens and dozens.

mtbr member
    I have to go out there for work in October and been looking for trails. Here is a link to the site I have been using.
    Mountain Bike Trails || SINGLETRACKS.COM

mtbr member extraordinair
    The ticks aren't unique to Shawnee, I pulled about 14 off me after my last ride at Blue River (back this spring). Blue River parkway and Landahl are the shiz! as far as trails go. Next time Im there I;ll check out Swope and maybe another one. My in-laws live a few blocks from BRP, so I visit the area once or twice a year.
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That just gives me the creeps. Some riders tell me they get ticks in Colorado but I have never seen one on me. We probably have less overgrowth and moisture...maybe that is it. I loved Landahl and Blue River was fun as well. If I ever go back, I will ride those two systems. I miss the BBQ the most. I'd visit just for that but it is a long drive.