mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Mohican State Forest

I'm visiting the area, sort of, memorial day weekend and have added this as a destination. Anyone free and interested in guiding / joining me for a 20 - 30 mile ride? I'm not super fast but I like to think I get along pretty well. It would appear there's a 100 mile race coming up at this place.. Tagging along on a training ride sounds like a good description of what I'd be looking for.

My schedule is up in the air right now but I think Sunday will be my best bet. I think early morning (7-8 am) or around 4 pm would work out best.

Let me know if anyone would be interested, day/time might be flexible.

If nothing else, if I could get some pointers for getting around the place I'd appreciate that also.

Thanks OH.

wafflemaster
    Jan 2004
    Map here

Parking across from park entrance on State Route 3. Ride under bridge, head right to trail head past park entrance road & enter trail which is very close to 3.

Ride about 8 miles mostly gaining elevation. You'll hit a perpendicular fire road & think you should go left. You are at MI.8 on the map. Go right. If you hit the road right away you went left though if you're dying you can glide it down to the entrance (left at road, wind down hill, left before covered bridge)

Then it's mostly downhill till you come out of the woods & hit the road. Go right, you will cross over the Covered Bridge on the map. Skip the 1st trail immediately right after bridge. Take the next trail entrance on the right. It's a quick steep that reverses course 180 for a touch but keeps climbing.

Trail turns into fire roadish stuff after about a mile, keep left & watch for the single track cut over on the left. Pay attention, you're a bit tired when this happens, it's sudden, a sharp left & easy to miss if you are looking down. MI.14.5 on map.

Now you are good, you do cross a road but it's obvious if follow the directional flow, not much to think about till MI.23.5 when you hit the road. Go across the road & the bridge & hit the trail take a right & follow the road down to the entrance. You can take the road down to the entrance as well.

Have fun, take the map.
    wafflemaster!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the write up man. I think you probably saved me at least 2 wrong turns.

Not sure what kind of weather you guys have had the last week. Think the trails will be fairly dry or am I asking for trouble with a small block 8 on the back?

wafflemaster
    Jan 2004
    Should be in good shape except for a few spots. I'm a small tread guy so yes.

Weather NOAA National Weather Service

Trail conditions Ohio Trail Conditions and Damage Reporting
    wafflemaster!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    This place was just awesome. Rolled well and used the available terrain beautifully. I totally underestimated how much climbing I'd be doing and the way the downhills were cut was totally unexpected. High fives all around to the people who built this place up.

But I think the turn you mentioned at around mile 14.5 is actually at 13.5, and the covered bridge comes after mile 11. Luckily there were posts up for the mohican 100 and I pretty much just followed those.

I'll be back for sure.