mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Looking for trails in N. OH

We live about 45 min north of Toldeo, in MI and are looking for some areas in N. Ohio to hit if there are any. It looks like we are about 3hrs from Mohican state park, is it worth the drive?

We don't ride 29er HT's, we're looking for fun flowing and/or technical trails suitable for AM bikes.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Mohican State Park is a great trail, but it tends to be more XC than AM. 24 miles total. Lots of climbing, some downhill, nothing too long or hairy. I do recommend it if you get a chance to ride it, though. Has a very "epic" trail ride about it.

Vultures Knob is a fun trail. Short, only a 7 mile XC loop but it has jumps, berms, a technical rock/scree downhill that's short but fun if you hit it fast. There's even a few "north shore" style skinnies, teeter-totter, wood-work. The way the trail is set up you can do loops of the XC course, or session the fun bits. You are never very far from the trailhead.

Another one to check out is West Branch. Lots of loops. I believe there is about 12 to 14 miles total there. When it's dry the lakeside trails are buff flowy XC. On the other side of the access road in the trail network are rocks, rocks and more rocks- fun stuff!

Finally, I've never been there yet, but plan to go sometime- Toledo Free Ride.
    https://sites.google.com/site/toledofreeride/home

Some other links:
    Spokejunkies:Mountain Biking the World and Beyond

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e...ebc68d18be1391

mtbr member
    Mohican is a nice ride. Long. VERY xc.

The most technical trail in ohio (IMHO) is vultures knob in Wooster. It's not as rough as it used to be, but its still a hard ride. There are a few north shore type stunts here and there. Plenty of logs and bridges. Lots of rocks. Give it time to dry if there's been rain. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thank you for the links / suggestions.
    The more I hear / read about vultures knob to more I think that's going to be what we're after.
    Tentative plans are to head down next weekend, see you buckeyes soon!

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    Jermain park in Toledo has some good trails and a brand spankin new jump park. The Toledo free ride group has been doing some great work in the matroparks.
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper expert 29
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

It's all ball bearings
    I second West Branch in Ravenna, OH. Great variety of trails and challenging rock gardens here, very good singletrack. I ride it whenever I'm in the Cleveland area and it's worth the trip.. Rays also opens soon

mtbr member
    If you head out to vultures knob, be sure to look at the website first (and possibly google maps). It can be hard to find. The website has a nice trail map, directions, parking, etc.

The entrance is off Mechanicsburg Road, in Wooster, OH. It doesn't look like much. There may (or may not) be a sign indicating that you're at vultures knob. There might also be a sign (maybe not) for Paradise Lawn Care. You have to drive down a LONG entrance road past corn fields. You'll come to a sharp left and see Paradise Mulch and Composting. Follow the road left then right around the mulch area and look for parked cars and bikes. Park...ride...enjoy!

Vulture's Knob Mountain Bike Park : 331 Racing

Lastly, please go down to the "pavilion" before you ride, sign in and DONATE a couple bucks. We almost lost the knob a few years back (private property). Donations are the only thing keeping the knob open.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Mike View Post
    If you head out to vultures knob, be sure to look at the website first (and possibly google maps). It can be hard to find. The website has a nice trail map, directions, parking, etc.

The entrance is off Mechanicsburg Road, in Wooster, OH. It doesn't look like much. There may (or may not) be a sign indicating that you're at vultures knob. There might also be a sign (maybe not) for Paradise Lawn Care. You have to drive down a LONG entrance road past corn fields. You'll come to a sharp left and see Paradise Mulch and Composting. Follow the road left then right around the mulch area and look for parked cars and bikes. Park...ride...enjoy!

Vulture's Knob Mountain Bike Park : 331 Racing

Lastly, please go down to the "pavilion" before you ride, sign in and DONATE a couple bucks. We almost lost the knob a few years back (private property). Donations are the only thing keeping the knob open.

Thank you for this. The last we want is to ride 3 hours and try to find something that's right under our noses.
    We've got a trail here with a very similar access condition so no worries.

Thanks again everyone!