mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Looking for good trails!

So Im new to MTB rode bmx for a long time yet i never know of good trails im about 45 mins outside of Chicago, so where are some good trails

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Trail Addict
    #JdubGriff
    KHS Comp St Hybrid

Trail Addict
    I'm 45 mins north of Chicago, 4-5 trails within 15 minutes of me. I posted above.
    #JdubGriff
    KHS Comp St Hybrid

Trail Addict
    #JdubGriff
    KHS Comp St Hybrid

D_K
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I know that plenty of people from Illinois end up here in Wisconsin at the John Muir and Emma Carlin trails. They are well maintained by the local chapter of the IMBA and will give you some good challenges!

Ninja
    X2 on the John Muir Trail! Just waiting for the green light from the forest perserve to shred it up. I wish all the darn snow would melt!
    The plan is to out live everyone!

mtbr member
    I may be moving out to Chicagoland as well. I know there are a few trails, but are they most flat or are there some decent hills. I don't really like to climb, but love bombing downhill! How far north/west should I live to have best access to trails, yet still have reasonable train ride into city each day for work?
    Just looking for a ride!
    Trek Ex 8

@mattwelton

Trail Addict
    I'd say Grayslake, Gurnee, Libertyville, Naperville, Elgin areas.
    #JdubGriff
    KHS Comp St Hybrid

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Check out the Chicago Area Mountain Bikers. They now have approval to build new trail systems up north.

CAMBr - Chicago Area Mountain Bikers

D_K
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosted Flakes View Post
    X2 on the John Muir Trail! Just waiting for the green light from the forest perserve to shred it up. I wish all the darn snow would melt!
    Yep, the last two years the trails were open by April 1st... not this year. We were doing some clearing last weekend and the trails were still covered in several inches of ice and snow.

I know the plan was to send out the bike patrol next weekend to scout the trail conditions but I fear that we will be over half way through April before they are ready for traffic.

Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by endo_2011 View Post
    I may be moving out to Chicagoland as well. I know there are a few trails, but are they most flat or are there some decent hills. I don't really like to climb, but love bombing downhill! How far north/west should I live to have best access to trails, yet still have reasonable train ride into city each day for work?
    I live in Lake Villa and its about an hour in every direction for me to hit some of the finest trails that northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin have to offer. Kettle Moraine to the north, petrifying springs in northeast, to the new Beluah park, to all of CAMBR 's stuff to the south. If you know where to look there's a mecca of great riding possibilities. Downhill around here will be hard to come by, but a short 2 1/2 hour drive to Devils Head, you can really get your freak on for some great downhill. Or go even further north to the UP and really lose yourself in the woods.
    The plan is to out live everyone!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosted Flakes View Post
    I live in Lake Villa and its about an hour in every direction for me to hit some of the finest trails that northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin have to offer. Kettle Moraine to the north, petrifying springs in northeast, to the new Beluah park, to all of CAMBR 's stuff to the south. If you know where to look there's a mecca of great riding possibilities. Downhill around here will be hard to come by, but a short 2 1/2 hour drive to Devils Head, you can really get your freak on for some great downhill. Or go even further north to the UP and really lose yourself in the woods.
    Don't forget Rock Cut in Rockford...

And they allow night riding...