mtbr member
    May 2008

Lake County, IL - Need a home course

I'm looking for a track in Southern WI or around Lake County, I'm from AZ so I need the toughest course around the NE Illinois area, any ideas? SE/WI, NE,IL in general?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I don't know about the toughest (folks from WORS may have better input), but Kettle Moraine State Forest (Southern Unit is 61 miles east of Madison and 37 miles southwest of Milwaukee) in Wisconsin is not bad.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Alright thanks, I've heard about Kettle Morain, http://www.trailville.com/wiki/Trails this link has most of the stuff in our area, still most is flat and not too technical. I heard about a place in Zion, Beulah Park thats suppose to be good, short but good. And Gander MTN is suppose to only be open to hikers but that was a review from 4 years ago so I'm going to check that out too. I heard Peoria, IL has nice trails too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Beluah park in Zion was one of my favorite technical singletracks. a few dirt jumps and some drops as well. I was there last year about this time and it was completely underwater from last years heavy rainfall. there was a small crew maintaining that place and I don't know if everything was repaired. It was a great ride spot though. Skokie Lagoons had some nice riding, but some things were torn down. If you are into freeride, be prepared for the XC/Spandex Mafia to put an end to anything technical.
    If you make it out to Beulah post up on the conditions; I would like to head out there again, but it's pretty far for me. drop me a PM and I can let you know about a secret spot or 2.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    THUNDERBOLTGREASELAPPER Alright cool, where would you part for Beluah, I'm kind of a extreme XC guy so I like doing fast single track and freeride, but I like doing downhill and really technical stuff too. I'm pretty new to the forum stuff, whats PM, phone somethin? I actually go to school at ASU so I'm in AZ for another 2 wks, but when I get back I'll hit up the bike shops for trail locations and I plan on riding 2-4 times a wk over the summer. Also, do u know any races besides the 24-12 hr of 9 mile in Wausau?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    PM is private message---so only i can see it. click on my name and you can access it. the guys i ride with have a few things going, I would be happy to show you around some freeride and singletrack spots, as well as Beulah---i miss her
    just don't want to give out details like phone # and locations over the internet.
    pm me and we'll go from there
    also checkout riven downhill at nordic mountain in wisconsin------they are supposed to be having a downhill race this summer, and some days they will have the lifts going for bikes.

mtbr member
    Cambr.org

peoria has possibly the best trails ive ever rode(yea ive been to moab and other places too), blue groove rollercoaster in and outa trees 1" wider than your bars. just go with someone who knows the best way to ride the loops,as that makes a huge difference. you can go with us sometime if you wish. just got back from midwest mtn bike fest, killer good time. too good. i might drive back down wed,for the 3rd time in 3 weeks,well see.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Wors

Mustang, check out www.wors.org for XC races in Wisconsin. Also www.wemseries.com for the endurance series.

It might be cutting it close for you, but the next WORS race is in 2 weeks in Lake Geneva, WI, which should be pretty close to Lake County

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you will find almost nothing (and nothing legal) in Lake County. Gander Mountain forest preserve is still off limits to MTBs as are all Lake County Forest Preserves. I've talked with several county board members as well as several forest preserve people at all levels and there is absolutely no interest in building true mtb trails. Their normal reply is "we already have them - the Des Plaines River Trail and the Millennium Trail" They just don't (or want) to understand that 8ft wide crushed limestone is not an mtb trail and the local MTB advocacy group has no interest in pushing for anything up our way.

As for more local trails - there is PETS in Kenosha and Deer Grove in Palatine (which is technically off limits to MTB - as is Skokie Lagoons). DG is really hit or miss depending on trail conditions (which are right now very, very poor due to all the rain). Keep an eye on illinoismtb.com for regular Wednesday night rides that should be starting up as soon as the trails dry out a bit. There is also Palos if you want to deal with the traffic and drive to the southwestern suburbs. This is a Cook County forest preserve with lots of legal (and illegal) single track with an active trail crew. There is also Rock Cut State Park in Rockford, which is probably one of my favorites in the area. Lots of good riding up there.

The posters above are correct, Kettle is probably one of the better systems in the area, along with Rock Cut, but both are far from technical. You heard right - Peoria is well worth the 3 hour drive for an MTB weekend trip. Also worth the 2.5-3 hour drive for some real tasty, technical single track is Blue Mound State Park, which is west of Madison Wisconsin.

Oh, and by the way, welcome to the land of outrageous property taxes~

~j
    Last edited by botanicbiker; 05-06-2008 at 07:25 AM.

mtbr member

Blue Mound

is closed as of 05May2008. We have been hit heavy rain since... well really since last spring, but the downpours of August really loaded the mound with water that has not yet completely drained off.

We are working to complete a re-route of the most muddy section, hope to have that complete by May 17th.

My best guess is the second half of May for the opening.

If you are willing to drive farther, Levis Mound is very nice. See the trail reviews for directions.

Walt

mtbr member
    May 2008
    That's pobably the closest MTB trial by me, where would you park, there aren't really good trails to get there from the west.

on yer left
    Apr 2008
    http://cambr.org/SMF/index.php?action=home

http://www.illinoismtb.com/

Quit your *****ing and whining and do something.

mtbr member
    Go to cambr.org and check out Palos. Nicely built flowy trails great for MTB just west of Chitown. Also if you are looking for extreme XC dump the suspension. Ride a rigid 29er or an SS 26er. It changes the trail and makes it loads more fun. You learn to get good with the bike handling. I used to live and ride in CO and still have a great time on Midwest trails. It's a different type of riding not better or worse just different.

Peace

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Fort Custer in MI is also worth checking out. Not super tech or anything like that but not too far of a drive and alot of fun.
    CAMBr West
    Gives us a couple bucks and we'll give you some trails with sweet jumps and stuff.