mtbr member

KY riders North/South in LBL

I am planning on hitting the 62 mile out and back on NORTH/SOUTH during Memorial Day Weekend. Has anyone ridden this lately? I am just wondering if the trail is clear. . . I have only ridden the Canal Loop before. Is the riding comparable?

I am on a SS and am wondering if I gear for the loop, would that be good for North South?

Thanks for any help.
    BS'ing less, riding more.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by extrmtao
    I am planning on hitting the 62 mile out and back on NORTH/SOUTH during Memorial Day Weekend. Has anyone ridden this lately? I am just wondering if the trail is clear. . . I have only ridden the Canal Loop before. Is the riding comparable?

I am on a SS and am wondering if I gear for the loop, would that be good for North South?

Thanks for any help.
    I haven't ridden the N/S trail lately, I would give Steve at Wood n Wave (LBS) a call to check conditions. Check out www.woodnwave.com for his contact information. They also have a map of the N/S posted on the website.

From what I can recall about the last time I rode the N/S, there are no real sustained hills-- I would think whatever gear you choose for Canal Loop would be fine for the N/S trail. The trail goes right by Hillman Ferry campground, which has a small store with water, snacks, gatorade, etc...for re-fueling. There is also a coke/powerade machine at the Canal Loop parking lot.

Not sure whether you know this or not (it sounds like you do), but only the northern half of the N/S trail is open to bikes.

Have fun.
    Ain't Life Grand!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info, I normally park at the Canal Loop Visitor center.

So I guess I ride from there to HIllman and back. I have talked with Steve before, I will swing by and get the scoop from him.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by extrmtao
    Thanks for the info, I normally park at the Canal Loop Visitor center.

So I guess I ride from there to HIllman and back. I have talked with Steve before, I will swing by and get the scoop from him.
    No, you will ride from the North Welcome Center to the Golden Pond trail head and then turn around (I rode it the opposite direction, so Hillman campground was close to my turn-around at North Welcome Center). You will get to the road that goes to Hillman campground shortly after leaving Canal Loop. When you get to the Golden Pond trailhead (highway overpass visible), there are coke machines if continue on towards the Golden Pond visitor's center. Here is the best map out there, not very detailed...

http://www.woodnwave.com/NorthSouthTrail.pdf
    Ain't Life Grand!

mtbr member
    I knew the area had been recently flooded so I emailed them at Wood N Wave and got the following response:

I would like to tell you that the North/South trail is in good shape, but it really isn't. The lake did reach well above flood stage levels and deposited several inches of debris and trees over much of the trail. Also, there are trees down in places, etc.
    Unfortunately Wood-N-Wave hasn't had the time or man power to get out there and repair everything. We have been focusing most of our effort to repair the damages on the Canal Loop, which is in great shape now. The North/South trail is on the list of things to do. Hopefully by memorial day weekend we will be well on our way to fixing it.

Wood n wave will be riding on Tuesday and Thursday nights regularly on the Canal Loop during the time your down. You can join in if you would like. Stop by the shop or email me if you want to check on the progress when it gets closer to memorial day.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Oh man, totally forgot about the flooding not too long ago. I bet there are logs, sticks, driftwood, etc...everywhere. Hopefully some of the WnW folks get it cleared before your trip. They deserve a lot of props for the work they do in LBL.
    Ain't Life Grand!

bottom dweller
    Apr 2007

It's All Good

I rode the southern 12 or so miles this weekend as an out and back and I'm happy to report that much work has been done to clear the trails and it's all very rideable.

Kudos to the guys from wood n' wave or whoever went through and cleared trail.

There was one stream crossing where the bridge had been washed out but the stream was low enough for an easy ride through. One other bridge had a large plank missing from the entry which could easily snag a wheel, but as long as you keep your eyes open I think you'll be OK.

I can't comment on the upper section you're planning on starting from, but you could check back with Steve.

As far as the type of ride, it's similar to the canal loop, though some of the hills are a bit longer. Hope you like roots!

Be sure to bring lots of water, or you may want to cache some along the way at a fire road.

Have a great ride and post up how it was!
    "What's the use of a fine house if you haven't got a tolerable planet to put it on?" ~Thoreau

mtbr member
    Thanks for the information unez, if I get the chance to ride the route, I will surely post up.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member
    Well after all the hub-bub, I ended up not taking my bike due to vehicular contraints on traveling with Z high gas prices. Hopefully I will bring my bike next time. Some day, I will ride this thing.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA