Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Orthodox Veloist

Smile Just moved to Ohio

Well I moved again and am now in Ohio. Central area in between Dayton and Columbus. So I was looking for some trails and through the site found out about Alum Creek Phase2 and am super excited. I got to ride it last weekend and all I can think about is getting back out there and riding it again and again.

It is such a fun trail. I will get that wall ride down!

Thanks to the trail gnomes that built it, I wasn't expecting much and it blew away expectations. I look forward to exploring more trail systems in the state.

Pic for proof:

Karate Monkey in its natural habitat

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    moved from Oregon to Ohio? what, did you lose a bet?

as a former resident of Columbus, I know you have many nice trails near you, John Bryan, MOMBA, Caesar Creek, etc. Alum Creek phase 2 isn't bad, serves a purpose being the closest trail to Columbus, lots of man-made stuff to round-out your skillset. (don't go too fast into the wall ride and take the high line) However, there are many other longer, more "classic" mtb trails in OH worth the drive to get to. I'd recommend John Bryan, Caesar Creek, Great Seal, Mohican state park, and Dillon.

Check out the spokejunkies page here for all the Ohio trails and click on the Google map and get directions to all the trails.

Have to add: the trail crew does do a great job taking care of the Alum Creek trails, esp considering the amount of traffic those trails get.
    Last edited by miller542; 10-12-2012 at 12:31 PM.

undercover brother
    Ceasar's Creek is by far the best that is close to you. Indiana has Versailles and Brown County (think of the opposite when you think of Indiana landscape, its a killer system of trails). Venture down to my neck of the woods in Cincinnati and there are quite a few more. My girlfriend lives literally a mile from Momba and I've ridden that trail system so many times its absurd. The flatness up there quite boring.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tangaroo View Post
    Ceasar's Creek is by far the best that is close to you. Indiana has Versailles and Brown County (think of the opposite when you think of Indiana landscape, its a killer system of trails).
    agree 100%.

the Indiana trails can also be found on the spokejunkies site here.

mtbr member
    Lake Hope and the Wilds in Ohio, not too far from Columbus. Go to Indiana and ride Brown or Versailles. Go to Pa and ride Moraine and Allegrippis. Allegrippis is the best around, bar none.
    Ride first, drinks after!

@endo_2011

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Gotta second alegrippis, I love that trail. It's a hell of a hike from Columbus though.

Orthodox Veloist

Thanks!

Thanks for the input everyone! I appreciate it.

We moved for family reasons, but in the long run it will be worth it. Part of the deal is a westerly trip each year. Bonus for living out west for so long is knowing where to go to ride

I grew up in Wisconsin, so riding here is about the same. It's great to ride midwest singletrack again.

Hermit
    This may help you get familiar with the trails in your area (interactive Ohio mtb trail map):

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalwrench View Post
    Thanks for the input everyone! I appreciate it.

We moved for family reasons, but in the long run it will be worth it. Part of the deal is a westerly trip each year. Bonus for living out west for so long is knowing where to go to ride

I grew up in Wisconsin, so riding here is about the same. It's great to ride midwest singletrack again.
    Care to share the trail characteristics you like between both midwest and western riding?

NMBP

Welcome!

Be sure to check out Chestnut Ridge just outside of Columbus, and Mohican (1 hour plus outside of Columbus) as well.

Orthodox Veloist

dont know if this makes sense

Care to share the trail characteristics you like between both midwest and western riding?
    I think there are 2 main differences; climbing and soil composition.

When I lived in Colorado the typical trail was 1-1.5 hours up and then 10-15min down. Mostly on the front range. The soil was rocky, sandy and dry. Not a lot of roots unless you get up into the mountains, but even then not noticeable. Mostly rock. did mention elevation?

Oregon is pretty dang close, but the soil is more volcanic and loamy which drains well for the PACNW rains. Riding in the NW jungle was pretty interesting. I was told that if I didn't just ride in the rain i'd never ride. So I got use to it.

In Colorado I would ride with Kenda smalblock8's and had to switch them out almost immediately in Oregon. Not a good wet weather tire for there. Ended up with some panaracer rampages as they were cheap and higher volume. Still ridin them.

Now to Ohio (and midwest). The soils and trails seem a bit more clay compacted and have more roots. Mostly from deciduous trees as apposed to the evergreens in Colorado and Oregon. Also, from my strava of Alum Creek there was not much elevation gain (woot!).

Technically I feel the tight corners and roots make for a pretty interesting trail. Bridges are fun also. That was part of the reason why I instantly was smiling at AC. When I first started MTBing I use to ride south Kettle Moraine in WI a lot and it reminded me of that. I use to want to come back from the west every now and then to ride something a bit more technical.

The fun thing about our sport is that no matter where you go and what you ride it will probably bring a smile to your face.

mtbr member
    Welcome to Ohio! I moved here from Washington state, figuring I'd get some work experience and then head back to the good state in five years or so.

That was 17 years ago.

Alum is good and reasonably close. Unfortunately, for all the nice terrain around West Liberty, there isn't any mountain biking to be had. Lots of good road riding, though. Caesar's, Dillon, and Chestnut Ridge are all nice trail systems that are reasonably close to you. I just (finally) tried John Bryan last week, and found it kind of flat and dull. But, it's close to you, so give it a go.
    FS: Chinese carbony goodness, trade for a steel frame?

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    Welcome to Ohio! I moved here from Washington state, figuring I'd get some work experience and then head back to the good state in five years or so.

That was 17 years ago.

Alum is good and reasonably close. Unfortunately, for all the nice terrain around West Liberty, there isn't any mountain biking to be had. Lots of good road riding, though. Caesar's, Dillon, and Chestnut Ridge are all nice trail systems that are reasonably close to you. I just (finally) tried John Bryan last week, and found it kind of flat and dull. But, it's close to you, so give it a go.
    I really don't think people understand the term flat until they ride john Bryan. The trails are always in great shape, and if you're looking for an easy day just to keep the legs moving its a breeze. But if you are looking for anything challenging, look elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Ceasar's Creek is by far the best that is close to you. Indiana has Versailles and Brown County (think of the opposite when you think of Indiana landscape, its a killer system of trails). Venture down to my neck of the woods in Cincinnati and there are quite a few more. My girlfriend lives literally a mile from Momba and I've ridden that trail system so many times its absurd. The flatness up there quite boring.
    What I don't like about Caesar's Creek is the lack of trail markings. I kinda have a good loop ride in my memory bank, but it took me a few times out there to remember it. I live in the Cincinnati area, and love Mitchell Memorial forest, especially the new 4 mile loop that's attached to the original 4-mile loop. It now make a great 8-mile ride.

Orthodox Veloist
    LOL wow I was actually thinking of heading over to Bryan soon. I'll save the gas pennies (er dolars) and head to Alum again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishstix View Post
    What I don't like about Caesar's Creek is the lack of trail markings. I kinda have a good loop ride in my memory bank, but it took me a few times out there to remember it...
    That's been my experience with Caesar's. I usually choose not to ride there just because I don't know the trails well enough yet. It's a shame, too, because I'm fairly close. I'm hoping to spend some more time out there next season. I do like the trails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    My Limited Caesars Creek experience too. There are so many crossing trails, bypasses and other trails, all poorly marked. It takes me so long to ride there since I have to stop all the time and figure out where I am and where to go.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    welcome ot Ohio....no mention of vultures knob? a bit of a drive, but if were talking ohio, you gotta drive. MOhican wilderness and the state park are both nice goto rays mtb int he winter for soem sdditional riding fun...lots of fun skinneys there!

Quote Originally Posted by endo_2012 View Post
    Lake Hope and the Wilds in Ohio, not too far from Columbus. Go to Indiana and ride Brown or Versailles. Go to Pa and ride Moraine and Allegrippis. Allegrippis is the best around, bar none.
    Pleeeaaasssee......expand on this Allegrippis place???
    I'm goin searching, but firsthand knowledge is always better...TIA

mtbr member
    Come down to Chillicothe sometime. There's Great Seal State Park, then half hour south of town on 23 there's Scioto Trails. Both about 1 1/2 - 2 hours away from Columbus.
    Last edited by droc089; 11-01-2012 at 08:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I like Phase 1 and its only a few miles down the road from Phase 2. Worth checking out if your by P2.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Brown Co.. Like some folks have already said and there is French Lick watch out for Larry Bird big in to mtb. Also Cherokee Park in Louisville would make a good weekend, plenty of stuff to do "shopping" for the wife or girlfriend and has some night life as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I moved to Ohio because I like the Browns. I like every trail here in Ohio especially West Brach lake side.
    I like to ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    If you ever want to hit Caesar's, just message me. I'll show you the way around it. I've been riding there for years.

mtbr member

Didn't want to start a new thread, sorry for thread-jacking!

I see people on this website who find the coolest places to ride. They're not singletrack, they're not an actual trail system..just a place to explore and ride for miles. Is there anything like that in Ohio? Somewhere were I can park my truck and ride for miles, find some cool stuff, see some cool things, and return many hours later. Hopefully over 75% that's not paved surfaces.

Hermit
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    I see people on this website who find the coolest places to ride. They're not singletrack, they're not an actual trail system..just a place to explore and ride for miles. Is there anything like that in Ohio? Somewhere were I can park my truck and ride for miles, find some cool stuff, see some cool things, and return many hours later. Hopefully over 75% that's not paved surfaces.
    I don't think that's very likely in Ohio, at least not anywhere that I know of. You might get in some longer gravel/forest road rides in Wayne Nat'l Forest or maybe Dean State Forest, but there aren't a lot of places to just ride n explore legally.

Best I could say would be to head over to WV and check out Monongahela N.F. Mtb are allowed on almost all the trails over there, plus there's tons of forest roads to connect.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast