Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    this weather is killing me. it is either raining on the weekends or snowing or the snow is melting. It is hard for me to ride during the week because i dont have much daylight left after I get off work. When the time change comes around, hopefully that will change. I will be doing Tues or Thursday as well since MWF are my gym days.

mtbr member
    I agree. Even if you suck it up and want to ride int he cold, the trails are all not rideable. Road riding in the cold is awful.

mtbr member
    This weather has been terrible! Local trails are usually a disaster after this time of year from riders who ride in the mud, so that'll be fun (yay)..
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

mtbr member
    yyyeah i saw someone post a very muddy SS in one of the photo threads... It looks like it may be at MOMBA.. that would really piss me off, given all the funding they poured into that trail.

mtbr member
    If I'm thinking of the same picture/member that you are, he is a responsible rider and I believe he had an excuse for it. I'm referring to the larger population of riders that are not on mtbr. They have no knowledge of proper trail etiquette and just ride whenever they please. These are the people that skid, litter, do not yield to climbers, etc... It's ironic that you find the "serious" mountain bikers are the ones that sometimes don't ride as much out of respect for others and the trail.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    If I'm thinking of the same picture/member that you are, he is a responsible rider and I believe he had an excuse for it. I'm referring to the larger population of riders that are not on mtbr. They have no knowledge of proper trail etiquette and just ride whenever they please. These are the people that skid, litter, do not yield to climbers, etc... It's ironic that you find the "serious" mountain bikers are the ones that sometimes don't ride as much out of respect for others and the trail.
    I agree. And I think it comes with experience too. I can fully admit that I have ridden when it has been extremely muddy before I knew proper trail etiquette and what ruts can do to a trail. And you'll always have some rides that start out with the trail solid and end in a muddy mess, sometimes there is nothing you can do about it. But it does piss me off when you hear the people say I don't care if its muddy, I'll ride whatever. Its mostly ignorance, but sometimes people just do not care.

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie785 View Post
    yyyeah i saw someone post a very muddy SS in one of the photo threads... It looks like it may be at MOMBA.. that would really piss me off, given all the funding they poured into that trail.
    That was me by the way. The ride started at 20F with the ground frozen, ended an hour later with the sun thawing most of the ground out. That's why my bike was covered, not because I don't care, because I tried to get out to ride while the ground was still frozen and it thawed quicker than I could get back to my car. So easy on the early judgement there...

mtbr member
    yeah i totally agree. There is a trail in VA that has the gates to the lot closed and a seperate gate for the mtb trail with a description of what happens when it's ridden while wet. People still manage to go on it while it's closed, Clearly ignoring signage and not respecting the hard work and money put into these places. I do have to admit we got stuck on Cesears creek because it started out frozen and the temp rose slightly above what they were calling for (to 31). The trails quickly became wet, but our bikes surprisingly didnt create any ruts. I think it was so soon after freezing that only about 1/4in down was thawed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tangaroo View Post
    That was me by the way. The ride started at 20F with the ground frozen, ended an hour later with the sun thawing most of the ground out. That's why my bike was covered, not because I don't care, because I tried to get out to ride while the ground was still frozen and it thawed quicker than I could get back to my car. So easy on the early judgement there...
    My bad... Im sure you can imagine that anyone seeing that mud at MOMBA would assume that the trails were being ridden wrecklessly, not accidentally as you described.

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie785 View Post
    My bad... Im sure you can imagine that anyone seeing that mud at MOMBA would assume that the trails were being ridden wrecklessly, not accidentally as you described.
    Oh I know. When my buddy and I were packing up, someone pulled in and we told him it would be best if he didn't ride today, showing the muddy mess that we were. He just said "ahh mud never hurt anyone" and continued on... The thing that sucks about Momba and john bryan is they're so flat that water just collects and the ruts make it so much worse.

mtbr member
    exactly, it seems that some riders think it's more badass to get all muddy and gritty, but they don't seem well-educated on how that might effect the well-maintained trail systems.... P.S.... anywhere within 4 hours with single track that's rideable?! I know the soil here is awful. We were thinking WV?

undercover brother
    It will probably be the same as here unfortunately. The midwest has the same soil pretty much everywhere, clay based. It holds water and turns to snot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2