mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Indiana MTB Newsletters

There is going to be a lot going on in Indiana in 2009. HMBA will be hosting several e-newsletters to keep those wanting to be in the know up to date.

HMBA general newsletter: Will go out about once a month and with updates on big events and news updates

Indiana Trail Work newsletter: This is going to be a busy year for trail building projects around the state. I will be sending out a weekly newsletter with updates on trail projects and trail work opportunities. Anyone throughout the state can email me trail work details and I will get the info out to those wanting to work on trails.

Trail Patrol and Events newsletter: One goal for 2009 is to get a trail patrol up and running. This newsletter will focus on the trail patrol and events volunteering opportunities.

You can sign up for some or all the newsletters here

http://visitor.constantcontact.com/e...621146782&p=oi

or go to www.hmba.org and click the "Join Our Trail Building List" button on the top right.

Thanks,

Paul

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Are you interested in trailbuilding outside of HMBA? Seems like us guys up north get left out of things.

Also, I'd be interested in bike patrol.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Northerners

Yes, we a definitely interested in Northern Indiana. HMBA does try to work for the greater good of mountain biking in all of Indiana. With a number of strong groups in the Northern part of the State (NIMBA, Outback, Warsaw, Fort Wayne area, etc...) I think that the best thing HMBA can do is to support the local groups as best we can. Getting info out on trails and trail building opportunities is one way I think we can help.

HMBA has tried to help when ever asked, so If you are looking for support from HMBA, shoot me a PM and let me know what we can do to help.

Also, please try to make it down to the HMBA annual meeting. I wish I had time to drive around the state and meet all the trail builders, but working a full time job and supporting my own local trails,don't leave me many free weekends.

Paul Arlinghaus
    V.P. HMBA

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    I can personally tell ya that HMBA have worked with us Northerners to help get things going.

They helped with the DNR in getting paperwork moving along, along with a few other things. It seemed like forever up north to get permission to build in Potato Creek, but it took less than a year. And dealing with government permission - that's pretty good. I'm sure it didn't hurt that they were in Indy and that they already have the DNR's ear.

Have not heard much around Pokagon, or Tippecanoe for the state parks - but don't know if there's local interest either. And for local efforts - so much of that flies under the radar, both good and bad, and even personalities on both sides can matter more than other factors.

And regardless of how much HMBA, (or NIMBA, or OMBA, or MMBA, or whoever) help out, if there are not people taking lead locally then getting new local trails is a dim prospect. I know there were some efforts to organize Ft Wayne last year, but since I was in South Bend - I don't know what results came from them. Might want to check with Summit City and see if they know anything (this is assuming that you were not already involved - which could be a bad assumption. )

The HMBA meeting is a great place to meet the faces behind the names on the message boards, and to bring the whole state-wide thing together. It's a bit of a trip, but at least you get I-69. I had to take US 31 south, and throught Kokomo.

Until we can grow HMBA into a completely funded organization that'll have paid staff - it can be hard to get people to travel around the state to represent areas hours from home. It has to fall to local adovcates until then.

And had one question - was 3 Rivers Velosport ever really involved in mtb adocacy? They seem to have a decent presence in FW.

JmZ

Quote Originally Posted by indytrekracer
    Yes, we a definitely interested in Northern Indiana. HMBA does try to work for the greater good of mountain biking in all of Indiana. With a number of strong groups in the Northern part of the State (NIMBA, Outback, Warsaw, Fort Wayne area, etc...) I think that the best thing HMBA can do is to support the local groups as best we can. Getting info out on trails and trail building opportunities is one way I think we can help.

HMBA has tried to help when ever asked, so If you are looking for support from HMBA, shoot me a PM and let me know what we can do to help.

Also, please try to make it down to the HMBA annual meeting. I wish I had time to drive around the state and meet all the trail builders, but working a full time job and supporting my own local trails,don't leave me many free weekends.

Paul Arlinghaus
    V.P. HMBA
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    3 Rivers Velosport has provided us tons of support, both financially and man power. We have a good presence with the club and a good group of riders that ride all the time and help with trailwork. Someone from HMBA did come up last year to take a look at our trail, but a nasty thunderstorm came through and set our work back a few weeks.

We also have good support from the two bike shops in town. They both have donated money and materials to get the trails mapped, marked, and a sign made. The guys that do the DRT series also do a good job. We could use more support from the Fort Wayne Parks Department. They let us use the property, but don't seem to be interested in having any financial investment, which is too bad, because the better our trails get, the more they could benefit the city.

Warsaw / Winona appears to be in good shape as well. Last time I talked to Rob at Tarkio, he said they've been getting more support from the Kosciousko club to get trail work done. I haven't seen much online about them, but there's usually flyers poster with work days at Trail House.

Columbia City could use more help. The trails at Morches Park could be a lot better than they are. They need to be ridden more and storm debris posed a problem last year. The only times I noticed any work done there was prior to the DRT races. (and then the trail was in great shape)