mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Ideal tire set up for Sub 9 Super D?

I have yet to make it out to Brown County to ride yet (only 4 hours away) but I signed up for the Suped D in August and wondering thoughts on what an ideal tire set up would be for that race. I'm bringing an 11' DB Mission 2 with Crossmax ST's with 2.35 Nevegals and still tubed.
    Was planning on going tubeless with the Spec (Armadillo casing) 2.2 Pugatory up front and the Captain (Armadillo casing) 2.2 on back for my area, Missouri. I would consider more aggresive and wider like a minion, high roller or similiar other brand if it would do well there. It's my first Super D and excited as all we have here is xc.

Thanks
    Peace from Hell...

'13 Chromag Stylus
    '11 Specialized 29r EVO ht
    '11 DB Mission 2 w/Fox 36

bab74 on GORC

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Specialized tires you have will work fine.
    Nevegals will do fine, too. Though they might be slower rolling than your other tires.
    Aside from the sections with rocks and roots on Hesitation Point, the trail is not too hard on tires. A decent volume XC tire will work.
    Check HMBA.org under the Brown County forum. Might be more info to help you there.
    If you are racing in the beginner/novice category, I would use a 1.5 or other low-volume, short-knob tire. Run them at no more than 18psi. Should work great!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    That race is won on the climbs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Pretty decent climb?
    Peace from Hell...

'13 Chromag Stylus

bab74 on GORC

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Enough of a climb where a downhill bike will get smoked by a rigid 29er.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    well damn...so you can run pretty much anything at that race?
    Peace from Hell...

'13 Chromag Stylus

bab74 on GORC

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Last year it was mostly smooth singletrack and any time made up over the rock gardens with travel was lost on the climbs. Its a real fun race though.

Lazy People Suck
    I have Maxxis Aspens the last 2 years out there and they have worked well. I have finished in the top 5 both years. 2 yrs ago the winner (Tim Carson) was on Kenda Karmas. Last year, I believe the winner (Chris Bowman) was on one of the lighter Specialized XC race tires. Most of the top 10 was made up of 29er XC race bikes.

It is about 6.5 miles, 2/3 downhill, 1/3 uphill. I agree, it is won and lost on the climbs.
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Stick with super-low volume tires, run at very low pressure. Make sure to hit all of the rock features head on.

Or listen to Fett.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    So either my Spec EVO 29r hardtail or a 6x6 fs would do the job
    Peace from Hell...

'13 Chromag Stylus

bab74 on GORC

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes, either will work.
    The trail is not rough overall. So which one you feel will be faster for you is the one to use. If you climb faster on the hard tail,and know it...use it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fett View Post
    It is about 6.5 miles, 2/3 downhill, 1/3 uphill. I agree, it is won and lost on the climbs.
    Midwest racing sucks
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed sheep, contesting the vote.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    lol....
    Peace from Hell...

'13 Chromag Stylus

bab74 on GORC

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by roxtar View Post
    Midwest racing sucks

Hahaha, as sad as it is a rigid 29er with xc tires will dominate at pretty much any race in the Midwest with the exception of the 2-3 downhill races every year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kitejumping View Post

Hahaha, as sad as it is a rigid 29er with xc tires will dominate at pretty much any race in the Midwest with the exception of the 2-3 downhill races every year.
    I can accept that at XC races but comon, this is (supposed to be) a Super D race.

1/3 of the course going uphill?
    Race is won/lost on the climbs?

Doesn't sound much different than the XC race they had there a few weeks ago.

What part of "Super D" is not being understood here?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Yeah, I hear ya. I brought my 40lb downhill bike last year and got killed on the climbs, I would have been faster on my dj/street bike. It's still a fun race but expect to get smoked by xc racers if you bring a dh sled. Saving a few seconds blasting over stuff on a dh sled doesn't matter when you have to pedal uphill.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I get what you are saying roxtar.

Super D is supposed to be a downhill XC race, kind sorta. Right?
    Another few DH miles would be great.

A 5.5 mile run with maybe 1.5 miles of climbing is currently about all there is for such a race, regardless of what may, or may not, be understood by those putting on the race. In Central Indiana, that is.

Do you know a venue within a few hours drive for a Super D in mind?
    We could maybe have more than one locally, if someone would put it on.
    I guess there is one in IL. OH has a downhill race, and I think KY may as well. Don't recall much on Super D.

That Enduro format looks like a good time, too. Just need somewhere for it, and a promoter to put it on.

mtbr member
    As I understand the Super D format, it's meant to be predominantly DH, but with more pedaling; flats, rollers, etc, and a climb or two thrown in.
    The Ashland Super D is a perfect example:
    Weir, Emmett Win Ashland Super D | MB Word | MountainBike.com
    8000' of descending with 600' of climbing.
    Now granted, we don't have that kind of vertical to work with but that's the ideal descend to climb ratio. The SD format should be primarily DH oriented.
    Simply put, if a 29er hardtail is a good choice of weapon, you need to rethink your course.

While Brown County doesn't have a lot of pure DH sections, it does have an abundance of rollers and plenty of twisty flats that require hard pedaling to race through. Reduce the climbing to a couple small ones you can still hit at speed and you'd have a good SD race.

As for other possible venues, there is a ton of areas in lower to mid Michigan and Wisconsin (ski areas like Canonsburg and Swiss Valley in Michigan, Cascade and Devilshead in Wisconsin)
    Going slightly farther north gets you to Boyne Highlands Ski Resort. They run the lifts in their bike park all summer. We have a group run planned for there the beginning of July.
    Last edited by roxtar; 06-02-2012 at 10:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ohio just had the Mayhem Enduro. Looks like it would have been fun, but the comments about being less DH than expected remain. Ohio Downhill

I suppose we just need to go with what we have, and travel for more.

It was fun last year, so I will do the Super D here again this year. Now I just have to get my knee to cooperate!
    I see they added categories to change things up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Since there's not a ton of vert to work with, perhaps they should consider changing the format from Super D to Enduro... where you only get timed on the downhill sections and the climbs serve as transfer stages. Who will be Utah's Fastest All-Mountain Rider? | Enduro comes to Utah July 21st Canyons Resort, Park City.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Super D is supposed to be a downhill XC race, kind sorta. Right?
    What is Super D?

Super D is one of the fastest growing types of mountain bike racing. A Super D is best described as a downhill cross country race that pits individual racers against the clock. Super D races lack most of the technical, danger-packed elements of downhill racing, and in most cases the courses have some uphill and flat pedaling sections; testing both a rider's endurance and bike handling skills.

The Sub-9 Super D is a 5.5 mile course consisting of 1.25 miles of short, easy climbing and 4.25 miles of downhill including a 2+ mile technical downhill. The Sub-9 Super D is 100% sweet single track!

but sorry to say boys... you gotta work for your downhills here, ;-)

Hooked
    Hey Tania....got a junior class? Kiddo doing a downhill/freeride camp week at Woodward at Copper in Colorado end of July. He's dying to do a race, should we consider this one? (realize the hills/climbs on this could be his Achilles heel)
    My blog - this, that, travel, garden, bikes, fitness, family, whatever

Instagram, Twitter you'll find me as beerbikegirl

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes kimikaw, they have a junior class. Shorter distance, and the adult can follow, if I recall.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kimikaw View Post
    Hey Tania....got a junior class? Kiddo doing a downhill/freeride camp week at Woodward at Copper in Colorado end of July. He's dying to do a race, should we consider this one? (realize the hills/climbs on this could be his Achilles heel)
    Hey Kim... Brooks would do just fine at the Super D. Here's the info on the Junior categories:

Junior boys and girls will compete against others within their age group. Races are NOT split by gender. Age groups are as follows; Junior Boys & Girls (11 and Under), Junior Boys & Girls (12-15), Junior Boys & Girls (16-18). Riders will have 1-2 minutes between start times. Junior riders 12 years and older will race the entire 5.5 mile course beginning at Hesitation Point. Junior riders 11 and under will race the shortened 2.5 mile course beginning at the North Tower Lookout.

If he's not comfortable racing the entire 5.5 mile course, have him sign up for the Intro Men category and he can race the shorter 2.5 mile course. There are elevation profiles for the courses on the Super D website (check the FAQ). Feel free to shoot me an email if you have any other questions!

~Tania