mtbr member

Homeward Bound - Need Tips on Columbus Riding

Well, as part of a two week vacation, I will be heading back to Columbus to visit family and friends for about a week or so. I'll be staying with my sister in Pickerington most likely from Friday, June 12 through the following Tuesday or Wednesday (maybe a few days more, who knows). During my visit, I'd like to get out at least one day to ride some trails up there. I didn't take up MTB until I moved to Memphis, so I know very little about the Central Ohio MTB scene.

I've done a little looking around and I see that there is a nice system of two trails at Alum Creek. I'm pretty familiar with that area, so finding it should be pretty easy. I see it tends to stay a bit wet, so I was wondering if any locals could help me out with its conditions. How's it look out there?

The other system I read about is Mohican. That'll be a little bit of a trek, but if Alum Creek is too wet, I might very well consider making the drive. Again, to any locals... How's that trail system look?

Obviously, I'm still about a week out from my arrival in Columbus, so I'm sure I'll have to wait a bit to see how the weather is going to turn out. Any tips on weather, trail conditions, or other spots I should consider during my visit would be greatly appreciated. It's been almost 2 years since I've been back "home." I can't wait! GO BUCKS!

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    How far are you willing to travel?

Take a look here - http://joinomba.org/trails/index.php/Main_Page

Just finished a ride over at Brown Co in Indiana. (And heading eastward towards Columbus tomorrow). Well worth the drive. 20+ miles of trail from easy all the way to omg ayfi.

And Alum Creek always seemed to be wet, but summer was always a better chance than the other seasons, but there are new trails that are popping up. Check over at www.mtbohio.org for more suggestions than this expatriate Buckeye can give ya.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member

Have not lived there in awhile...

But you could consider Lake Hope to the South east as well.

mtbr member
    Hey Memphis,
    Hopefully I caught you before you left!! If Alum Creek is too wet, DEFINITELY make the trek north to Mohican State Park. It is always dry when every other trail in the state is soaking wet. It dries really well. It's a bit of a drive from Columbus, but well worth the time. Lake Hope is a blast, too, but I'd go to Mohican. It's easily the best trail in the state.

And have fun riding!!
    better than he was before. better. stronger. faster.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the bionic knee
    Hey Memphis,
    Hopefully I caught you before you left!! If Alum Creek is too wet, DEFINITELY make the trek north to Mohican State Park. It is always dry when every other trail in the state is soaking wet. It dries really well. It's a bit of a drive from Columbus, but well worth the time. Lake Hope is a blast, too, but I'd go to Mohican. It's easily the best trail in the state.

And have fun riding!!
    I was waiting on FedEx and UPS to get some parts to me before I left, so I've been delayed a bit haha. I plan on leaving very early Saturday morning. I'm either gonna ride Sunday or Tuesday, weather permitting.

That was my plan... Alum Creek if I can, if not Mohican. Since I'm on vacation and visiting family, I'd rather not take the long trek if I don't have to; especially since I'm probably gonna be riding alone, but I intend to ride at least once while I'm up there. The rest of my time is gonna be spent with the family.

Thanks for the tip!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Did you make it to Mohican or Alum Creek (Phase 1 or 2)?

mtbr member
    Not yet. I may go tomorrow. I had trouble with my truck on the way here and it is in KY getting repaired (thanks Murphy's law). I had to have my sister come pick me up in KY and drive me the rest of the way, so I don't have my vehicle here. I may be able to borrow her car, but she doesn't have a bike rack. I might be able to just toss it in the back seat, we'll see.