tmb
    When in doubt- turn left
    Feb 2004

Hit me with some Cave Run data...

Girlfriend & I are taking an ss mtb/roadie roadtrip in late July and considering the Cave Run area.
    So far I'm thinking of taking the long way out of SE Mich and hitting Brown County on the way down, staying around Morehead for a few days(or more) then up thru southern Oh to hit Mohican.
    I'm gonna call the Cave Run bike shop next week and try to pick some brains but I wanted to get some feedback for the mtbr crew. Is it a worthy destination? Should I be looking at something else in the 6hr-ish radius of SE MI?

What can I expect for terrian? I've ridden all over Mi and Oh, some Penn(Rothrock), WV, V, NC(Pisgah& Dupont), Austin Tx, Western Slope of Co and a bunch of Ut. What's it compare to?

Must do trails?
    We are both fairly strong riders that wont shy away from a long tough ride. But flowy singletrack goodness would be sweet too!

SS gearing opinions? Running a little taller than 2:1 here.

Any cool, secluded campspots with ride in/out access?

A few threads I've found talk alot about horsse damage, how bad is it?

That's a ton of questions, any and all you can answer would be helpful.
    Thanks
    T

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tmb
    Girlfriend & I are taking an ss mtb/roadie roadtrip in late July and considering the Cave Run area.
    So far I'm thinking of taking the long way out of SE Mich and hitting Brown County on the way down, staying around Morehead for a few days(or more) then up thru southern Oh to hit Mohican.
    I'm gonna call the Cave Run bike shop next week and try to pick some brains but I wanted to get some feedback for the mtbr crew. Is it a worthy destination? Should I be looking at something else in the 6hr-ish radius of SE MI?

What can I expect for terrian? I've ridden all over Mi and Oh, some Penn(Rothrock), WV, V, NC(Pisgah& Dupont), Austin Tx, Western Slope of Co and a bunch of Ut. What's it compare to?

Must do trails?
    We are both fairly strong riders that wont shy away from a long tough ride. But flowy singletrack goodness would be sweet too!

SS gearing opinions? Running a little taller than 2:1 here.

Any cool, secluded campspots with ride in/out access?

A few threads I've found talk alot about horsse damage, how bad is it?

That's a ton of questions, any and all you can answer would be helpful.
    Thanks
    T
    Cave Run is worth about a day. The best trail is across from the Visitor's Center. A little rooty, with a nice climb up to a ridge. The trail is likely to be overgrown, because it gets very little mountain bike traffic. Other trails at Cave Run are unlikely to be rideable. The damage from horse traffic on most trails is huge, especially if it has rained in the past week or so. I would rate the quality of the trail system overall as poor.

From what I've read about Brown County (never been there), it's one of the top mtb destinations in the area. Another option to look at is Greenbo Lake. I've hiked there & the mtb trail has about 25 miles. Camping is good there too.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Brown Co's got lots of info out there - HMBA Forums and Brown Co Site.

Brown Co has some of the best flow I've found, but plenty of techincal challenges too. The Hesitation Point Connector and then the newer trails. Make sure the brakes work, and the armor is on.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    BCSP on the way down, worth the whole day. Ride everything from the campground or start at the standard North Entrance. Hit Pine loop,North Tower,Aynes,Hesitation Point,Walnut,Limekiln,and the expert, not yet finished SchoonerTrace. 30+ miles, 3000' in Indiana.
    Personally I'd hit up Nebo Ridge(17 mile out and back) in the Hoosier NF the next day and then get on the road to Ky.

Cave Run has been eroded away over the last several years, but still has some epic stuff. Ride the 112 Cave Run trail from one end to the other and back, 3 climbs/ 3 downhills= 2mile up and 2 down for each, add the Sheltowee in and out to Zilpo. You can camp in G at Zilpo and get a lake view campsite and ride right from the tent.

I'd also put Laurel River Lake on a for sure to do ride on your trip. 1-1 1/2 hours south of Lexington at London take 192 east off I75.. Camp at Holly Bay in G or H and again get a lakeside view and ride from camp. Day 1 go north on the Sheltowee(4mile)to Rt 192 and cross road into Cane Creek Wilderness follow Sheltowee 5.5 mile to FSR, left and left again on gravel FSR, take this to Narrows Trail East 403? descend to Rockcastle River and take this loop back to Sheltowee at the VanHook Falls intersection and backtrack to camp. 20 + Epic along creeks and rivers with falls ,gorges and boulders. Hands down the best ride in the In/Ky/Oh/Mi/Ill/ area. Next day take the Sheltowee south all the way to the Mouth of the Laurel at the Cumberland River. Sweet fast singletrack,with some outback ridge runnin and a drop into a wicked gorge and boulder garden to the Cumberland, another must do.

Mohican is some awesome Ohio riding and can also be ridden from camp. 20+ mile loop, roller coaster fun.Probably my least favorite of all the rides above but still worth hittin on your way back.Hit me up if ya want more.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Reignman
    Day 1 go north on the Sheltowee(4mile)to Rt 192 and cross road into Cane Creek Wilderness follow Sheltowee 5.5 mile to FSR, left and left again on gravel FSR, take this to Narrows Trail East 403? descend to Rockcastle River and take this loop back to Sheltowee at the VanHook Falls intersection and backtrack to camp. 20 + Epic along creeks and rivers with falls ,gorges and boulders. Hands down the best ride in the In/Ky/Oh/Mi/Ill/ area.
    I'd say Reignman knows what he's talking about. This looks like a tasty loop; I think I'll try it.

tmb
    When in doubt- turn left
    Feb 2004
    Lots of good info, thanks guys. I came across the HMBA and the Brown County site after I posted here, alot more to it than I first thought. Might spend an extra day there and break out the road bikes.

Reignman- Any chance of you having a garmin with the gpx files of those rides you were describing? Either way, I'll be hitting you up for some more details after the 4th.

thanks again everyone.

T

mtbr member
    Sorry brah, to much technology for an old man. Hit me up and I could give more details. I'll just have to get the maps out. Oh by the way, the Zilpo byway from the campground to Clear Creek and back in Cave Run is a awesome road ride. Pan Am Games Cycling event was held at BCSP back in the day, so you won't be disappointed if you get wet weather and opt out for a road ride.