Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Greatest news for Cleveland MTbing

Camba is buiilding singletrack in Strongsville Metropark to be completed by June. This is great news.. It can be only the beginning. I can see every metropark having some singletrack, beginner level and all connect.. So much uncharted territory!
    I like to ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Professional Crastinator
    Royalview Trail Expo is June 17th (Father's Day)

Royalview Mountain Bike Expo

Trail will be officially open. Group rides. Beginner mini-clinics. MTB Class sign-ups.

This trail is geared for beginners and will be near 10 miles total with several optional short routes in the 3 to 4 mile range. It is a very swoopy layout and rewards momentum. More sweep turns than tight. No steeps. No tech. Potentially very fast unless it gets crowded.
    Nice views of mature timber, ravines, wetlands. Well-connected to the parkway, with potential for future expansion.

Hopefully this is the beginning of a new era at CMP.
    Don't forget that CMP is still requesting public input from park users. Be there and be heard! There is definitely room for more MTB trails!
    Public Input Sessions

Notice that the meeting location may deal with topics for a different park reservation - CMP gets credit for allowing everyone multiple opportunities to be heard. There might be an on-line forum for feedback as well, so don't miss the chance to double up your comments. There is some semblance of democracy at work there.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Fleas, is there going to be any like small log piles or small balance beams and bridges? I dont want to see a glorified tow path. Hope they put some rock gardens in there ... I am very excited..Will they expand to all of the metroparks to achieve Camba's Dream?
    I like to ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I really hope that it has a little challenge.
    I like to ride my bike.

Submit to your ride!
    Jan 2004
    Not trying to answer this for Fleas, but we need to keep in mind that some trails need to appeal to beginner type users. Yes, they have the towpath, but "easy" trails take them to the next step of riding in the woods on dirt.

Hopefully the CMP success will produce a domino effect on surrounding parks like CVNP and Summit county. Lots of great terrain for the type of challenging trails we all love!

Greg Spickard
    CAMBA President

Quote Originally Posted by icecube89 View Post
    Fleas, is there going to be any like small log piles or small balance beams and bridges? I dont want to see a glorified tow path. Hope they put some rock gardens in there ... I am very excited..Will they expand to all of the metroparks to achieve Camba's Dream?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    this could be the beginning of something epic!!!!!!!
    I like to ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Im excited! I caught wind of this from another rider and am happy to be hearing it from somewhere else. And like some of the other posters have said, I hope they put in a rock garden or something. If not I'll stick to riding at Reagan Park.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Gi, we are doing a ride at regan park if you wanna ride with some slowpokes(me) and beginners.. Let me know..
    I like to ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    It is times like these that I wish I lived closer to some of the more metro areas. Not only for myself but also to buy a trailer for my daughter and bring her along.

Professional Crastinator
    I happen to know the newly hired MTB instructor for CMP. They are planning to have classes for beginners, and the Royalview trail was built with the goal of getting more people into the sport of MTBing (similar to the easiest parts of Findley SP but with ~130ft. elev.). This is really one of the greatest perks that CMP could ever bestow on CAMBA.

If you have ridden OECR you know that it is not difficult, but the penalty for mistakes is disproportionately high (flap arms!). The R-view trail doesn't have that risk factor and it is hoped by all that a person who just left Wal-Mart with their new bike can come to the class, and by the time they leave the class they will be ready for bigger rides.

But also like OECR or Findley, it is a fairly easy trail until you try to go fast. Then you have to be precise or you're dining on dirt. The place should serve to build confidence in novice riders, and allow parent/child rides without boring the veterans.
    It will be a good place for youth rides, boy scouts, hopefully some high school MTB clubs...
    I wouldn't hesitate to take a kid's trail-a-bike or a MTB tandem to this trail.

I think IMBA refers to this type of trail as a "gateway" trail. Hopefully it is acceptable to say that I hope it works like crack.

I can't speak to the expansion question, but I do know that CMP is considering many previously-untried options. Heck, this whole trail is "previously untried" by CMP!

-F

What?
    I'm hoping the Royalview trail has some skinnies and log piles off to the side like Findley, Allowing for it to be beginner friendly, but not to boring for experienced riders. We will see I guess!

Snap Crackle Pop
    This is my first post on this forum. I have been lurking for a while, but seeing this got me excited. I don't even have a bike yet, but I think I have decided to give the Northrock XC6 from Costco a shot. I took a good look at it today and I think I am going to pick it up this weekend. I've been wanting to get into MBing for about 2 years now, but different medical issues keep popping up prevent me from doing so, but it's time to get at it.

Anyway, I work in Strongsville right up the road from the Metropark and think this will be a great afterwork escape for me. I used to ride like a maniac when I was a teenager, but that was long ago. I'm guessing I could benefit from the classes also.

Hopefully I will meet some of you guys out on these new trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    any mountain bike will do , I have a 2007 diamond back response i bought from sports authority and well beat it up and it likes it.. Nismo? Must have a turbo silvia or 240 sx ...I have a sentra lol.

Anyways come out , biking is awesome
    I like to ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Spokes N' Jokes (Berea, OH) - Meetup

get aboard..I set up a bunch of beginner rides...
    I like to ride my bike.

Snap Crackle Pop
    any mountain bike will do , I have a 2007 diamond back response i bought from sports authority and well beat it up and it likes it.. Nismo? Must have a turbo silvia or 240 sx ...I have a sentra lol.

Anyways come out , biking is awesome
    Yea, I was looking at buying a Felt Q series at first but then decided I could make due with a little less until I know I am in for the long haul. Yea, I have a '90 S13 hatchback. I was heavy into the tuner scene for a number of years but not so much anymore. The car sits in the garage with no motor/trans... awaiting the $6K+ worth of swap and other parts that I have bought. Maybe someday I'll get her back together

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I wanted an Ser but cars are a money pit. I have a sick 92 mustang and a 65 chevelle ss. But back to biking, check out that link
    I like to ride my bike.

Snap Crackle Pop
    I wanted an Ser but cars are a money pit. I have a sick 92 mustang and a 65 chevelle ss. But back to biking, check out that link
    I'd love to have an old school muscle car or hotrod, if I ever finish the 240, it would most likely get sold off to purchase one of those.

Yes, I signed up and filled everything out, I think

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by NismoGriff View Post
    This is my first post on this forum. I have been lurking for a while, but seeing this got me excited. I don't even have a bike yet, but I think I have decided to give the Northrock XC6 from Costco a shot. I took a good look at it today and I think I am going to pick it up this weekend. I've been wanting to get into MBing for about 2 years now, but different medical issues keep popping up prevent me from doing so, but it's time to get at it.

Anyway, I work in Strongsville right up the road from the Metropark and think this will be a great afterwork escape for me. I used to ride like a maniac when I was a teenager, but that was long ago. I'm guessing I could benefit from the classes also.

Hopefully I will meet some of you guys out on these new trails.
    Normally I would suggest staying away from bikes bought from stores such as walmart and costco, but that bike doesnt look too bad. Make sure the frame fits you(doesnt make you feel to stretched out or cramped) and after you get it, check all the nuts and bolts and make sure they are tight.( box store assemblers are known for making mistakes)

Im sure a lot of people on here will be more then happy to meet you at some of the local trails. My wife and I ride a few times a week and try to get group rides together a a few times a year.

Snap Crackle Pop
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    Normally I would suggest staying away from bikes bought from stores such as walmart and costco, but that bike doesnt look too bad. Make sure the frame fits you(doesnt make you feel to stretched out or cramped) and after you get it, check all the nuts and bolts and make sure they are tight.( box store assemblers are known for making mistakes)

Im sure a lot of people on here will be more then happy to meet you at some of the local trails. My wife and I ride a few times a week and try to get group rides together a a few times a year.
    Yea, the bike requires partial self assembly. I tested the fit of the 18" because they had that assembled in the store, but they also have a 19.5" I am 6'1" so I am thinking the 19.5" may be the one I purchase and if I get it home and it's too tall, well, it'll go back and I'll get the 18. I'm hoping my wife will join in with me, but she just wants to keep her old Huffy or whatever it is she has had for years. I'm not even sure it's safe to ride, lol.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    I'm hoping the Royalview trail has some skinnies and log piles off to the side like Findley, Allowing for it to be beginner friendly, but not to boring for experienced riders. We will see I guess!
    It does not hurt to ask! Go to the Cleveland Metroparks public input sessions and let them know what you want.
    The thing is, it's hard to criticize a trail in a constructive way based on what I've told you and before you even ride it. I'm sure everyone can understand that there really are no other beginner trails around. And if you're really hauling the mail on this trail I think you will find it less and less easy the more you haul.
    I think they should put up trail cameras at spots where cocky riders are likely to run off-trail. The pix would be pretty funny.
    Not calling anyone "cocky" - I do it myself all the time: just when I think I'm really going fast I miss a turn and end up off the hill. It's part of finding that limit.

-F

Hermit
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    I think they should put up trail cameras at spots where cocky riders are likely to run off-trail. The pix would be pretty funny.

-F
    That would be hilarious - like the photos they take on the roller coaster big hill at amusement parks.

Also it makes me think of some heavily trafficked whitewater rivers, and that stretch of twisting road down south the motorcyclists call the Dragons Tail (or Back?) - there are professional photographers who set up shop and photograph everyone who goes past, then make those unexpected, professional quality pictures available for a price. Could be an interesting opportunity for busy trails...

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    It does not hurt to ask! Go to the Cleveland Metroparks public input sessions and let them know what you want.
    The thing is, it's hard to criticize a trail in a constructive way based on what I've told you and before you even ride it. I'm sure everyone can understand that there really are no other beginner trails around. And if you're really hauling the mail on this trail I think you will find it less and less easy the more you haul.
    Not calling anyone "cocky" - I do it myself all the time: just when I think I'm really going fast I miss a turn and end up off the hill. It's part of finding that limit.

-F
    Thanks, I will try to make it to a session. I look forward to having a new trail, even if it is easy. Im a different kind of rider, I dont ride fast( I have a 160mm full suspension bike that is not very pedal friendly). I enjoy more of tech riding and I do some traveling to do DH riding as well. But a trail is a trail and I can guarantee I will be riding the royalview trail no matter what its like. Any trail is better then no trail!

Is it spring yet????????? I cant wait to get riding again!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    cool

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    sweet

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast