mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Good trails in southern MO and northern AR

Anyone know of any good trail systems in Southern MO and Northern AR?

mtbr member

Re: Good trails in southern MO and northern AR

Slaughter Pen, Two Rivers, Lake Leatherwood...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    '12 Trek Marlin Signature Green
    '13 Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Gulf Blue/Orange

mtbr member
    Craighead Forest Park in Jonesboro AR has great trails.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Just north of Springfield, MO there is a nice system called Sac River. Also, there is a new park somewhere down that direction that is supposedly pretty stellar, called Twin Rivers.

mtbr member
    Other than the ones already listed, Busiek State Park south of Ozark if your wanting some longer climbs and rougher terrain. But you have to share it with the horse people.
    Then there's the ultimate gnarly ugly, Chadwick OHV use area. But it isn't for the feint of heart, or legs. Your riding amongst the dirt bikes and it's an 80+ mile spaghetti maze of incredibly hard trails. I ride the twist the gas bike there all the time, and there are no easy trails to be found in the place.
    If you want to travel over to the S.E. side of MO, there's the Berryman trail. 24 miles of also share it with the horses trail. Haven't been over there in several years, but the last time I went, it was a great ride in the woods.

mtbr member
    I have to venture to the lovely hamlet of Caruthersville, MO from Flagstaff, AZ and thought I might hit some of the trails in the Ozarks and/or northern Arkansas. The last weekend of October is what I'm shooting for. Will that be too late. Any input from the leaf peepers on when the fall foliage might peak would be appreciated.

It's all pine trees here so it would be nice to see some hot deciduous tree action.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    It's been really dry here for several weeks now, and no rain in sight for the next week or so, figuring the leaves will change and fall early this year because of it. Last weekend of October there may be some still hanging around, but most will probably be on the ground by then.
    One thing you learn about the weather around here, you can't guess what it will be like next weekend, let alone over a month away. By the end of October it could literally be 80, or it could be snowing..
    It should be good riding weather then, but check with us the week before you plan on getting here.
    2013 Salsa El Mariachi 29er
    1995 Giant CFR Team Road Bike
    2001 Bianchi Volpe
    2009 KX250F ... 2004 KDX200

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. I've got family in Tulsa and have played golf at Christmas in 70F and also froze my ass off riding Turkey Mountain at 20F. I guess the same goes for AZ but it's been like the tropics of late.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Two Rivers in Nixa, MO have some of the best trails in the area. They have 8.5 miles of XC and some beginner/intermediate DH flow trails that are pretty fun with step-up boxes and wall rides, plus a short skill trail. Lake Leatherwood in Eureka Springs also has good XC and they have a more technical DH trail (10 ft drops and 20 ft gaps). Slaughter Pen, Blowing Springs in AR are good too. Busiek, Chadwick, White River Valley, Two Rivers, and Sac River are all within an hour of each other around the Springfield/Branson area.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    when does the riding season in this region start? do you have to wait for the ground to thaw out? can you ride it if there it is wet or slushy?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjaard View Post
    when does the riding season in this region start? do you have to wait for the ground to thaw out? can you ride it if there it is wet or slushy?
    It's already started and stopped a couple times. We got a bit more snow over the weekend that is melting now and turning everything around the Spfld area to mush again. You can ride at Busiek, but your going to run through some gorp mud spots, and it's still a bit cool IMO to be splashing through the (cooold water) creeks comfortably. Two Rivers is pretty much off limits until it dries out a bit and Sac River is a swamp any time it gets wet.
    Give it a couple weeks with no precipitation and it will all be great.
    2013 Salsa El Mariachi 29er
    1995 Giant CFR Team Road Bike
    2001 Bianchi Volpe
    2009 KX250F ... 2004 KDX200

mtbr member
    Kind of the same as what HT said. Usually we'd be able to get some riding in at this point but we've gotten 6" of sleet and a dusting of snow that has made a mess of everything. We'll have to have several warm (45f+) dry days to dry them out. If riders don't wait until they are fairly dry the trails just get rutted up and you'll end up carrying 4 or 5 extra pounds of mud out of the woods with you. Sucks big time and everyone around here is going stir crazy with cabin fever.