mtbr member

Smile Good ride near Chicago?

I'll be staying near Oak Brook this weekend in IL. So far I plan to tackle "Palos Forest Preserve." I may go to "Deer Grove East" but it seems a bit far.

Are these good trails to ride? I'm not in town mainly for biking, but I will be bringing my Full Suspension bike (because my HT rear wheel is warped).

Thanks for your tips and pointers!

aka greyranger

rides

Palos (cambr.org ) is almost next door for you. Can get plenty of miles since the trail is two way. Another option is Kettle Moraine in Wisconsin or the Outback in Portage, IN(http://outbacktrail.org). Have a good time. There is a staging area at Palos you may find somebody to tag along with. See Ya

Devil Mtn
    Palos is worth the trip. In from CA, just rode it today ... it's not like CA riding but considering Chicago's so flat it is nice riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Palos will be about 20 minutes from you. With it being that close, I wouldn't even bother with Deer Grove. There's definitely enough in Palos to keep you busy if you're just staying for the weekend.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by reklar
    Palos is worth the trip. In from CA, just rode it today ... it's not like CA riding but considering Chicago's so flat it is nice riding.
    Yeah palos is pretty boring except for the black trail which is ok..Kettle is so much better than anything in the midwest in my opinion. Its a long drive though

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    What's the black trail?

I disagree about Kettle being "better". The only thing I feel that Kettle has over Palos are the longer climbs. It's too groomed for my tastes.

mtbr member
    I started into Palos, then realized I borked my stem/stack bolt. Gotta get the bike off to the shop Sat morning, then hopefully I will ride Palos all day.

I ended up riding my bike around the neighborhood without the stack bolt and just with the stem bolts holding it on. I think I messed up the stem too by overtightening that as well. Fortunately I still have my old stem with me. Learning the hard way...

mtbr member
    A guy at REI was nice enough to lead me to the trek store. They fixed it Sat morning and I rode a good deal on Sat. Got lost and fiddled around with the map. Its mostly marked but there is one place that is marked just wrong. Took me 20m to figure out what was going on.

All in all I got some exercise and a pretty good ride.

one sick puppy
    I also have to disagree about Kettle. I would much rather ride Palos any day of the week!
    Saddle up, Effendi. We ride.

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

Looking for October Rides/Swap for Arizona ride help!!!

Hey dnoyeb!!!

You really get around!!!

I'm going to be in Illinois in October and want to ride when I am there. I want to see if anyone would show me a few spots ( I'd need help with transport…I'll cover gas). In return, I'll help show anyone around our trails, out here. We ride from the doorstep

I have a HS reunion to attend, so I'm looking for some midweek rides.
    Quote Originally Posted by dnoyeb
    A guy at REI was nice enough to lead me to the trek store. They fixed it Sat morning and I rode a good deal on Sat. Got lost and fiddled around with the map. Its mostly marked but there is one place that is marked just wrong. Took me 20m to figure out what was going on.

All in all I got some exercise and a pretty good ride.
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

My bike is my happy place
    Feb 2004

Ot - Wow Az?

CJ, your site looks very cool. But it's very vague about where it is. All I figured out was that it's in AZ. Do you plan to list your city, and directions to it?
    Life is a bowl of fruit, and I am trying to not bite into the mold.

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

On the top of each page…

is the title "Way Out West Nature Preserve, B&B and Mountain Biking Ride/Rental Center in Tucson, Arizona!!!"

Sorry it appears vague, I added a reference to Tucson in the opening paragraph. Hope that clears any confusion.

We are along the Santa Catalina Mountains 25 miles north of Tucson. There are multiple posts in the AZ forum with some trail photos and directions to our place. We are a very private spot and that privacy is extended to our guests, as well. We, obviously by our business, welcome guests, but 'just show up drop-ins' are limited to friends/guests-turned-into-friends, family and select neighbors.

We have been known to throw a party on occasion…

EDIT: I've been in touch with a friend in the suburbs and it looks like I'll be able to arrange some transportation. Here's what I plan on riding, so far: Oswego, Rock Cut & Peoria

The OP (dnoyeb) rode a little taste of our trails, here, just a few weeks ago. He described it as 'an adventure'.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy D
    CJ, your site looks very cool. But it's very vague about where it is. All I figured out was that it's in AZ. Do you plan to list your city, and directions to it?
    Last edited by C.J.; 08-19-2008 at 09:49 AM.
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

Feb 2004

Title cropped

In Mac Firefox, the page loads in a separate tab. And the page title gets cropped to "Way Out West Mountain Biking...". Hope this helps your site (and other Mac users find you).

Say - Oswego is my neck of the woods, I've been helping to maintain the trails there for a few years now! When are you coming to town? Don't expect I'll be free during the week but you might find someone to show you around regardless (cambr.org forum...).

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004
    I'm running Mac Firefox. Every tab is truncated, however, if you look at the VERY TOP OF THE PAGE IN THE TITLE BAR OF WHATEVER TAB IS ACTIVE, you'll see the complete title. Also, if you 'mouse over' any tab in Firefox, it will display the whole title.

I'll be in town from October 11-21. 11th & 21st are travel days. I have a HS reunion on the 17/18, my other days are free to ride. Driving an hour or three to ride when I am out there is no big deal to me.

I've ridden Peoria before with the PAMBA guys. I plan on going back to ride Farmdale/Black Partridge or whatever they like best. Mike Staub of PAMBA is a 'family friend' ( he was here just a month ago) and I hope to ride with him and his crew.

In Mac Firefox, the page loads in a separate tab. And the page title gets cropped to "Way Out West Mountain Biking...". Hope this helps your site (and other Mac users find you).

Say - Oswego is my neck of the woods, I've been helping to maintain the trails there for a few years now! When are you coming to town? Don't expect I'll be free during the week but you might find someone to show you around regardless (cambr.org forum...).
    Last edited by C.J.; 08-19-2008 at 11:08 AM.
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

Feb 2004

Thanks

Right you are! Apparently those are two things I don't typically do (esp. when other windows clutter up my desktop behind the browser).

If you want a group outing, you could join us on Oct. 19th for our club's annual Poker Ride. It's an XC trail get-together at Palos. Bring a little cash for the permit fee, and a cheap bike thing you want to get rid of for the prize table. You get your poker hand during the ride. At the end of it, your hand decides the order that people pick something from the prize table. Hopefully you get something good in exchange for what you brought.

Plus there's a big lunch spread, music, maybe a band, bike derby and who knows what else.

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

Sounds good…

…if I don't stay out all night at my HS reunion the previous night!!!

Title Bar: It isn't something you 'do or don't do' it is on top of every page. Do you mean you don't typically read the title bar?
    Right you are! Apparently those are two things I don't typically do (esp. when other windows clutter up my desktop behind the browser).

If you want a group outing, you could join us on Oct. 19th for our club's annual Poker Ride. It's an XC trail get-together at Palos. Bring a little cash for the permit fee, and a cheap bike thing you want to get rid of for the prize table. You get your poker hand during the ride. At the end of it, your hand decides the order that people pick something from the prize table. Hopefully you get something good in exchange for what you brought.

Plus there's a big lunch spread, music, maybe a band, bike derby and who knows what else.
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

Feb 2004
    You can check cambr.org's forum for info (more will get added as the date gets closer) but it'll likely go from 10 am to dusk. There's a morning ride and an afternoon ride, so if you're conscious enough on Sunday to balance on two wheels we'll be around for your dirt fix. And if you want a more challenging experience than a pure XC ride, there's a few guys who can string together some trails that take it up a notch or two.... If you need more info, post here, there or PM me.

Yeah, I gotta say my eye doesn't go to the title bar. Between that line, the URL window, the bookmarks bar, and the page tabs there's a lot of text clutter to keep it from standing out. At least for me. Maybe that's a shame, seeing as I design web pages and banner ads, but then our efforts don't focus on that area for info beyond making it relevant. So you could say I tend to focus on the areas that my content likely shows up in. Oh well, I'll remember it more now....

Since a road trip doesn't phase you, don't overlook the Kettles, a half-hour into Wisconsin (bring $ for trail and parking fees); and Imagination Glen, which is about 15 minutes or so into Indiana. The trail guide on the cambr site can tell you more about them if you're interested.

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004
    I added a bold line of text with Tucson named in the second line on the opening page. I hope that clears up any confusion. Thanks for the input on it!

Nothing out here is a 'pure xc ride'. I'm in touch with one of my Peoria buds who has ridden a lot out here. He has a good grasp on my riding style/ability/ and what I normally ride. He's got a few vacation days so Peoria/Farmdale/Black Partridge is definitely on the schedule, as well as anything else he suggests.

A couple hour drive to ride is 'no big deal'. Out here, that just means a complete different environment/moutain range/terrain/trail type. I call a lot of midwest riding 'woods/river ravine' riding and have enjoyed it on my visits (as well as when I used to ride ten speeds through the former game trails in deer grove in the 70's…all gone now).

I'm awaiting his input/opinion on whetther to make the run to RC or the Kettles. When I was there YEARS ago, (the Kettles) there wasn't much singletrack.
    You can check cambr.org's forum for info (more will get added as the date gets closer) but it'll likely go from 10 am to dusk. There's a morning ride and an afternoon ride, so if you're conscious enough on Sunday to balance on two wheels we'll be around for your dirt fix. And if you want a more challenging experience than a pure XC ride, there's a few guys who can string together some trails that take it up a notch or two.... If you need more info, post here, there or PM me.

Yeah, I gotta say my eye doesn't go to the title bar. Between that line, the URL window, the bookmarks bar, and the page tabs there's a lot of text clutter to keep it from standing out. At least for me. Maybe that's a shame, seeing as I design web pages and banner ads, but then our efforts don't focus on that area for info beyond making it relevant. So you could say I tend to focus on the areas that my content likely shows up in. Oh well, I'll remember it more now....

Since a road trip doesn't phase you, don't overlook the Kettles, a half-hour into Wisconsin (bring $ for trail and parking fees); and Imagination Glen, which is about 15 minutes or so into Indiana. The trail guide on the cambr site can tell you more about them if you're interested.
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

Feb 2004

Peoria rocks!

I've been down to Peoria several times over the past few years and it's an awesome place to ride! Independence Park and Dirksen (a mile away) together make a killer epic ride. IMBA tagged it last year. About 26 miles of whoop-dees, short and steep climbs, creek drops, etc. Course, I've never ridden out west, so I can't compare it to your trails. Farmdale is also great. Black Partridge... I think is only a few miles of trail as of last June. It's new so they're adding distance all the time.

The Kettles has come a long way and gets lots of Chicago traffic. It also has a good 27 miles of fun riding. Lots of climbs, a faster ride cuz it's a wider corridor and not as technical, and a choice or routes to vary your trip length. There's the John Muir trails to the south where we usually start, and the Emma Carlin trails to the north, with a connector to link them together. The trails are 1-way, so you don't have to worry about collisions. There's a big photo gallery here.

Enjoy!

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004
    Peoria is excellent!!! The Peoria/PAMBA guys showed my around a couple years ago. They've done a great job there. We rode the trails you mentioned and they've made an excellent trail system.

The Kettle looks just the same as when I was there. thanks for the photo link, it cemented my decision.
    I've been down to Peoria several times over the past few years and it's an awesome place to ride! Independence Park and Dirksen (a mile away) together make a killer epic ride. IMBA tagged it last year. About 26 miles of whoop-dees, short and steep climbs, creek drops, etc. Course, I've never ridden out west, so I can't compare it to your trails. Farmdale is also great. Black Partridge... I think is only a few miles of trail as of last June. It's new so they're adding distance all the time.

The Kettles has come a long way and gets lots of Chicago traffic. It also has a good 27 miles of fun riding. Lots of climbs, a faster ride cuz it's a wider corridor and not as technical, and a choice or routes to vary your trip length. There's the John Muir trails to the south where we usually start, and the Emma Carlin trails to the north, with a connector to link them together. The trails are 1-way, so you don't have to worry about collisions. There's a big photo gallery here.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by C.J.; 08-19-2008 at 01:53 PM.
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!