swashbucklerette

Going to Notre Dame for a year - bikes to bring?

Hi!

I'm moving from Tucson to South Bend for a year to attend graduate school at Notre Dame. I'm driving my Jeep out in 2 weeks and can fit 2 bikes on my roof rack. I'm planning on bringing my FS XC (Blur) MTB for sure, but not sure about the other. Choices are: DH (V10), AM (Bullit), CX (Jake, currently in commuter setup), roadie, tri bike, or the SS HT. I'm going to pick up a $50 beater for campus once I arrive for commuting to class. Leaning towards bringing the road bike, but not sure. Or to make the moving easier I could just bring the Blur.

I'm a Tucson native, so this will be my first experience with cold and snow. Any info for this desert gal is greatly appreciated!

Just Ride
    Bring the road bike, and the SS. Seriously. The trails around here are great for SS! Your FS will be overkill. There are a couple of people around here with FS rigs, but I don't see the point. Most ride HT.

Rum Village is the closest trail to ND. In the area though we also have Potato Creek, well worth getting the yearly pass for. Otherwise it'll cost you each time you ride there. Bendix woods is another nice trail close by. There are others a bit further out, but you'll find that you are within an hour or so of 8 or 9 trails. Just don't compare them to trails in Arizona.

As for snow, I've not ridden in it much.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Blur and the Cx. SS just doesn't give your quiver the range of performance. Especially if you travel anywhere else, which you'll probably want to. But I'm also old and over the SS craze.

I mostly run a fatty and ride 365. I don't think it's really that cold, if you dress correctly.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    You don't need a full suspension around the area, but it sure is fun.

I'd bring the dually, and probably the CX or roadie.There are pretty active groups that do road rides, and alot of the back roads can make for an interesting route.

There are the trails the others mentioned around. But within about an hour and a half there are plenty around that are fun. I'd say to check out the trails in Portage (Imagination Glen) and in Michigan (TK Lawless /Ft Custer/ Yankee Springs) there are plenty of others in Michigan if you're up to traveling a bit more.

Good luck!

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

swashbucklerette
    Thanks guys! I'll definitely check out the trails mentioned. Looking forward to trying out some new dirt!

I wanna know what grad program only takes a year. Mine took over 4. Either way, I'd bring the road, CX, and one of your XC bikes. I ride XC FS in Indy and while it may not be necessary, it's on the "nice to have" list around here, esp if you venture a little bit towards some of the more tech trails in MI or southern IN...or even towards the Appalachians (W. NC is only about 8hrs from Indy and Pittsburgh, PA about 6, and there are some nice trails in KY and TN, too).

swashbucklerette
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I wanna know what grad program only takes a year. Mine took over 4. Either way, I'd bring the road, CX, and one of your XC bikes. I ride XC FS in Indy and while it may not be necessary, it's on the "nice to have" list around here, esp if you venture a little bit towards some of the more tech trails in MI or southern IN...or even towards the Appalachians (W. NC is only about 8hrs from Indy and Pittsburgh, PA about 6, and there are some nice trails in KY and TN, too).
    MS in Patent Law. ND is the only school in the country right now with such a program. For those with an undergrad science/engineering degree approved by the US Patent Office. I'm really looking forward to it!

Thanks for the trail info. I'll definitely bring the FS XC bike, as I'll be driving out to other areas. Figured if I'm going to live in a different part of the country for a year, I'll take the opportunity to drive around and see lots of different trails.