Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Franke Park Trail Conditions - (Fort Wayne, IN)

Good news - trails are open, but beware of mud. The West Loop is mostly dry, with some mud near the Frog Pond. The East Loop is soft, but rideable in all but 2 or 3 spots. Beware on Tiger Trail, skip Rollercoaster and the short yellow section before Freeway. There's been a few reroutes since last fall due to the flooding and mud. The new cuts are soft, help us by riding them in. You'll see them when you come to them.

Several new red trails are in and ready to go as well, they also need to be ridden in. Be careful on Log Jam. A few guys got hurt last night, and I chipped a tooth on a log roll last week. Remember to scope out obstacles before attempting them. The map on the trailhead has been updated to show the new reds, we don't have all the trail markers up yet.
    Attached Files Attached Files

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Still muddy. Especially the lead in to Tiger Trail, there is standing water on one of the curves on Tiger as well. We built a new bridge after the first drop on Roller Coaster. The climbs on Roller Coaster are soft, but rideable. The new red trail after Bloody Gorge (No Return) is firming up great and is ready to go.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hoosier
    Hmm i was hoping to get out and ride tomorrow, I'll see if that can happen.
    SS is like beer...its an acquired taste.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Conditions over the weekend were perfect. After the rain this morning, trails are wet with a few muddy spots, the green and yellow trails are all rideable, with caution. Some of the climbs on the red trails are too slippery and the cuts too new to ride without causing damage. Please take care to avoid ruts.

Trails should be good if there isn't much more rain.

This Saturday, 9am we're having a workday. Hoping to get weed eaters out and clear the low lying brush for the race on the 13th.

Hoosier
    Quote Originally Posted by emtnate
    Conditions over the weekend were perfect. After the rain this morning, trails are wet with a few muddy spots, the green and yellow trails are all rideable, with caution. Some of the climbs on the red trails are too slippery and the cuts too new to ride without causing damage. Please take care to avoid ruts.

Trails should be good if there isn't much more rain.

This Saturday, 9am we're having a workday. Hoping to get weed eaters out and clear the low lying brush for the race on the 13th.
    If I'm awake at 9am on a Saturday then I will be there. Last summer I made it to the Wednesday rides but I have a scheduling conflict this year. I'm sure the trails will be great for the DINO race in a couple weeks.
    SS is like beer...its an acquired taste.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    We have a monday evening ride starting up. There's usually a beginner and faster group depending how hard you want to ride.

If you make to the work day, we're all riding after the work is done.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The trail worth the drive from Lima?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    1.5 hour drive? I'd say they're worth it, but I'm biased too. It really depends what you want to ride. There's a little of everything in this park, a lot of roots and short steep climbs. Rain is the worst enemy for our trails. There's a lot of clay, so it holds water longer than other areas.

We have regular rides Mondays at 6pm and many Saturday mornings. I'll ride at least one lap any day the trails are dry, or hit the good spots when it's wet. Just post up when you'll be in town, if I can't show you around, there will probably be a few others that could.

I'll have an updated map with our new additions, reroutes, and mileage to post soon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Update on Conditions

4 of us were able to trim back some grass, weeds, and poison, and prune low laying branches in about 2 hours. Conditions have improved greatly since earlier this week. The trails are nearly perfect again. There's still a few muddy spots here and there, and some corners are a bit soft. The good thing is you have good traction when you need it, without dust getting in your eyes.

Everything should be good for the DINO race next Saturday. I saw a lot of new faces on the trails this morning, if anyone here was riding, please let us know what you though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Trails Vandalized

Someone cut down a bunch of trees on and near the trails. We got most of the mess cleaned up and everything is rideable. It happened sometime yesterday morning / early afternoon. A group of kids were seen in the area with shovels and sledgehammers. Let FWPD and the Parks Department know if you see anything suspicious.

Trails are still wet in the usual muddy spots, but in otherwise great condition.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Trails are in excellent condition, even if it rains this week, there should be no problems. It's not hot so there is no excuse not to ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Trails aren't bad. The rain last week left some mud on low spots and some greasy corners. The crew fixed a few permanently muddy spots with railroad ties on Saturday.

We had a ton of riders tonight. 18 with the group ride and a few more groups on their own. The cool weather makes for great riding. Full lot at the trailhead, mostly bikers. The best part was the groups were spaced enough apart the trails didn't seem crowded.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Rode with the group a few times last summer, haven't been out there yet this year, maybe I'll bring the bike down tomorrow and try and meet up tomorrow night.... still Monday at 6pm correct?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I was talking to (emtnate) Nate a week ago and he said "Monday evenings we have a group ride geared for beginner riders that starts at 6:30pm at Franke."
    Last edited by ashmc84; 08-04-2009 at 11:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Did you make it last night? We had 3 groups going and plenty of riders. It's nice to see people enjoying our trails.

They cut a reroute around some permanent mud on the intermediate trail just after "No Return" forks to the right.. As of last night the markers weren't switched, stay left by the creek, follow the fresh cuts and help us ride it in.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Updated Map

Ignore my first post, I can't seem to edit one that old.

Here is a link to the updated map showing the trails we build over the winter and spring.

Franke Park Trails

mtbr member
    I'm out here in Ft. Wayne from CA for 10 days and would like to ride this weekend. If I can rent a bike is Franke Park the best place to ride locally? I'd like a place I can put in 25+ miles and not get bored.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yfz_duner
    I'm out here in Ft. Wayne from CA for 10 days and would like to ride this weekend. If I can rent a bike is Franke Park the best place to ride locally? I'd like a place I can put in 25+ miles and not get bored.
    If you get bored at Franke you can always head west to Winona Lake and bang in 3 laps. The trail is excellent right now, close to the best it's been all year. Trailhouse in Winona Lake does rentals if transporting the bike is a problem.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    If you're here for 10 days, definitley check out Winona, it is about 40 mins west of Fort Wayne. Take US 30 west to Warsaw. Go left (south) on 250 E (shell station on the south side of the road) At the stop sign turn right (West) on Wooster Road. At the next stop sign, keep going straight. When you can't go straight any more, turn left on Chestnut Street, take the next Right (9th street) and go down the hill. At the bottom, turn left on Park Ave. You'll start to see a bunch of shops by the lake. The trailhouse is back there. They'll be glad to get you on wheels and show you where the trailhead is at. It's about 1/2 mile from the shop, there's walking / bike paths along the way.

Check out Franke, our trails are perfect right now too. Do you know where the trailhead is at? Try to make it out Monday night for our group right. I'll be working out of town all weekend, but I know there's other guys planning on riding.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the heads up on both Franke and Winona. I have to rent a bike and get some time away from work, so it's going to have to be a weekend ride to get my money's worth. I'm hoping to make it a double header and get both areas in this weekend. No kids, no wife, no lawn to mow = ride, ride, and ride some more.

mtbr member
    Go left (south) on 250 E (shell station on the south side of the road) At the stop sign turn right (West) on Wooster Road.
    Nate, you definitely give directions a man can understand! (west, south, etc.) Just a heads up, 250E is being worked on, again, but for the time being is open. Shortly after it reopened last year the section between Wooster and 30 started to sink, and they are coming back to fix it. Construction is supposed to be done by the end of the month but that's doubtful in my mind. If you have any doubts take 325E (by the TSC store) and turn south to Wooster Rd.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I've been wondering about 250, last time I was in town it was open, but the construction signs were still up. Sometimes it is easier to tell people to take Center Street to Argonne, but that road is closed too.

325 might be the easiest due to the other construction. You'll be in good shape once you find the park and the shops by the lake.

mtbr member
    I've been wondering about 250, last time I was in town it was open, but the construction signs were still up. Sometimes it is easier to tell people to take Center Street to Argonne, but that road is closed too.

325 might be the easiest due to the other construction. You'll be in good shape once you find the park and the shops by the lake.
    If you don't have to go to Trailhouse the easiest would be to either take 250 or 325 to Wooster, Wooster to Chestnut, Chestnut to Boys City, and Boys City to the trailhead. I live in Warsaw and I don't like taking Argonne if I don't have to. Once they have that mess straightened out it won't be bad at all, especially the new pavement!

Enough hijacking!

yfz_duner: If you want more than just Franke and Winona, there's always Morsche's Park in Columbia City. From the light at 30 and 205 in Columbia City go west on 205 and the Park is ~.5 miles from 30. Take the road to the right once you turn in and park by the tennis courts. The trailhead is right there. I'm riding there tonight so I'll post back trail conditions if I remember.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Can I hijack my own thread?

Do keep us posted on Morches. Last few times I've ridden there it has been ridable but overgrown.

mtbr member
    Morsche's will probably always have some issues with being overgrown. I think only one or two people do any regular maintenance there.

That being said, I think it's the best I've ever seen it. There are a few thorny spots that will help you with a mild bloodletting, but nothing serious. I have thick skin so I only have a scratch on my right forearm. The leaves are starting to drop which hide the little rollers quite well so you have to be careful. We ended up doing 2 laps and it was great. It's a really nice contrast to the Boys Club for me.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast