mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Evansville, IN: Harmony State Park

The Hoosier Mountain Bike Association's contractor has arrived at Harmony State Park near Evansville, Indiana. This project is part of the Governor's 2008 State Trail Grant. The $250,000 HMBA recieved is being spread between Versailles, Harmonie, O'Bannon, and possibly Fort Harrison State Parks.

This is the same crew that built the RTP grant trails at Brown County State Park and the latest trail at Versailles State Park.

While it is great to have a paid trail building crew on the job, in order to get the most out of the funding, we hope to add volunteer trail building efforts to the project.

So, if you live in near Harmonie State Park, please look out for trail building session in the near future. I will try to keep updates on the mtbr forum. Also, please keep an eye on the HMBA forums.

http://www.hmba.org/smf/index.php?board=39.0

Paul Arlinghaus
    V.P. HMBA

Riding makes me happy!
    Good news!

I live in Evansville and the riding options here are non-existent. New Harmony is only about 20 miles away, so area riders should have no problem helping out and reaping the benefits once it is completed.
    [SIZE="3"][FONT=Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"][SIZE="4"]You guys and gals make me want to ride off-road.[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Check out my Twitter: http://twitter.com/Bohamilton[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Harmonie

The guys broke ground today. They like to have a few days to get a feel for the dirt before getting volunteers up to speed. It looks like they are going home for the weekend.

So it looks like some time next week that they will hold some volunteer sessions.

I will keep everyone posted.

Paul

mtbr member
    A few of us have been working at Harmony since late fall. It's coming together quite well. Hope you like flowing, fast, and fun single track cause this park will not dissapoint. So far we've gotten just shy of a mile bench cut and ridable. From what I understand the remainder of the loop is marked and ready to be worked. Talks of having a 4-5 mile loop for spring should be no problem. Something like 16 miles proposed!! Volunteers are what make it happen. The contractor and his crew will do the heavy work, but we need extra hands to take care of the rest. Plus it's always great to make new friends and trade riding stories.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Update

The weather didn't inspire Alex to head down to Harmonie this past week. Hopefully January has some good trail building weather.

For those not familar with Indiana, Its a long drive from Indy to Evansville. So it's hard for Alex to drive down unless he can string several days of work togather.

Here are some pictures while we wait for better weather.

his gives a taste of the terrain.

Here is some trail hand built by volunteers

And here is the first pass of some machine built trail. This pictures shows the trail halfway throught the process. Once the back slope is done, the duff is raked out and leaves are blown in, this will be prime single track.

Paul

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

1st loop opened

The first loop is open for riding. It still needs some backslope finishing work, but it mostly needs tires. If you live near Evansville, get to Harmonie State Park this week or weekend and ride the new trail that is being cranked out at record speed due to the Governor's 2008 State Trail Grant.

You are likely to run into the trail building crew. If you have time please feel free to offer some help. The professional crew is at Harmonie has a rough budget prior to moving on to the next Park. The more volunteer work that supliments their efforts will result in more trails on the ground this spring. Plus, there they will leave Harmonie with more trails laided out for volunteers to build. So now is your chance to learn trail building from the Pro's.

Paul

mtbr member
    I just got home from riding the finished loop... its going to be some great trails when they are done. The loop that is finished is 5.5 miles. I was afraid that it would have been to wet to ride today but it wasn't, it was a little tacky in the flats but not enough to leave any ruts. They should dry out more and be perfect for Saturday / Sunday. The finished trail is a begineer trail and is going to be fast as time goes along... no real climbing just some rollers. There were 2 trees down across the trail.
    The guys were working while I was out there putting in another connector trail, I was under the impression that they were only working on these during the weekends, but they said they will be there for another 3 weeks or so. I'll have to get up there next week when I'm off and help 'em out. They were talking about they will need some help in building a bridge during my days off.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Bridge Building

The trail building crew will be working on Saturday. They are at the point where the first big bridge is needed. They can use help tomorrow (Saturday) with the bridge and battery opperated power drills could come in handy. So bring out your power tools and help build the bridge.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Update

Alex and his crew are gearing up for another big week. Locals, don't dilly dally in getting out to help. They are planning to wrap up in 3 to 4 weeks. The more help they get with hand benching and bridge building, the more miles of trail they will leave when they move on to the next trail.

The best thing to do is to take your bike and ride until you find them, and see if they have a project for you.

mtbr member
    Unfortunately I was unable to make it out this weekend. Had to help out with some family baby sitting. So instead of shredding trails, I watched two 4 year olds shred my home. lol

A few questions Paul:

Are they on the intermediate loop now?

What kind of hours are they working, how late? I wouldn't be able to get out there until 4:30-5:00.

I have a few bat. powered drills, circular saw, sawsall. Do we need hammers aswell?

Have they done a rough layout on the intermediate loop(flagged)?

Thanks,
    Seth

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Harmonie

A few questions Paul:

Are they on the intermediate loop now?

What kind of hours are they working, how late? I wouldn't be able to get out there until 4:30-5:00.

I have a few bat. powered drills, circular saw, sawsall. Do we need hammers aswell?

Have they done a rough layout on the intermediate loop(flagged)?
    Yes, they are on the Intermediate loop now.

They typically work till dark. Some times they try to get a ride in the last hour of daylight, but if you are there between 4:30 and 5:00, you should be able to find them.

Your tool list sound pretty helpful. not sure about hammers, I thinkt they are screwing planks down. Alex also talked about staining/sealing the bridge planks, so staining supplies may work. Typically Alex and crew put up the runners and look for voluteers for the decking.

I know that Alex has a concept for the intermediate loop. I am not sure if it is all flagged, as there are couple ravines he is still thinking about where to cross.

Paul

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

2 Week warning

With 6 miles of trail on the ground Alex and his crew are planning there exit from Harmonie, so they can move on to O'Bannon State Park. So anyone who has been meaning to get out and help with the new trails should get out asap. We expect to leave Harmonie with about 8 miles of trail with more trail layed out for volunteers to build.

There is no better way to get a crash course in trail building than to spend a day working with the pros. so do try and get out before they leave and volunteer.

Alex is pretty excited about the new trails at Haromonie. As of now the the trails are only open to riding by volunteers, but we hope to have grand opening within the next few weeks.

Paul

mtbr member
    We are Starting on new Trail!!!

The first trail work day of the season will be Saturday Nov. 5th
    And We need your Help!
    We will be working on a section of trail extending from the end of walnut for about a mile. This section will include the longest downhill at HSP yet!
    But wait there is more: We are going to make a weekend of it! There will be free camping in the camp ground Friday the 4th and Saturday the 5th for registered volenteers. And free entry to the park. Here is a schedule of Events.

Friday Nov. 4th: Camp ground will be open on a first come first serve basis make sure to register with the main park office as a volenteer if you have not already. If getting in late Tim Barnes or myself will have the paperwork with us on saturday.
    There will be a night ride starting @ 8pm at the Sycamore trailhead. Till whenever.
    Then its back to the campground to enjoy a nice autum night under the stars in So. Indiana!

Saturday Nov. 5th: Trail work will start at the Walnut ridge shelter area @ 9:00 am
    We will break for a pinic style lunch around 12:30 over at the Sycamore shelter area. Feel free to bring any food and drinks you want.
    After lunch we will resume work on the trail till whenever. We will break for the day early enough to take a ride for anyone who wants to before the sun sets.

Saturday night and Sunday day are open to camping and rides as well. Your call there!

This will be a fun and productive weekend. I hope to see a good number of people there helping to add some more trail to this great trail system. If you have any questions do not hesitate to call.

Zach Glisson 812-457-1708