Singletrack +1

E-town/Radcliff, KY

Just wanted to test the waters and see if there were other active riders in the E-Town/Radcliff, Kentucky Area. My wife just decided to try mountain biking, and i haven't been on a bike in 4 years. Done a little, but not much. Neither of us are tech riders, yet, and starting at Otter Creek was an eye-opener. Just wanted some friendly faces to ride with, maybe pick up some useful info. Age doesn't matter, we're early 20's, but happy to ride with anyone. Even just some trail info on less technical 1-3 ratings. Pretty sure the OCT trail was above our heads on day one. Gonna try it again for day two...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Singletrack +1
    been there, and not impressed. There's actually more information on local trails HERE, with more reviews and longer list. Problem is finding someone close that has ridden in certain places i have NO idea where its at. Don't like wasting an extra 2 hours driving to find a trail, only to NOT know where to ride, and have my wife struggle all day on crap she can't do. Did that 3 weeks ago, and it wasn't fun in the least. Also want to hit a local DH trail, think there's one pretty close. But again, dont just wanna jump in, as it would be my first DH course... not downhill ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Youngers creek is pretty much the only trail around E-town, there is about 16 miles of trail there. Directions for youngers are below, I copied them off the race flyer. The only DH style course is FT. Duffield which is 45 minutes out side of Louisville, probably equal distance from etown. It is pretty easy to get to it as it is off of 31w. Directions below. There are a few downhill runs and some intermediate cross country trails.

Youngers Creek directions
     Directions
    Younger's Creek Trails are located 7 miles
    East of Elizabethtown, Kentucky on Miller
    Road.
    From Louisville and points North: South on I-65
    to exit no. 105, follow Rte 61 South. Turn right
    onto Rte 62 (West), turn left onto Rte. 583 (Old
    Younger's Creek Rd.) turn right onto Miller Rd.

From Nashville and points South: North on I-
    65 to exit no. 93 onto Bluegrass Parkway East.
    Take first exit off of Bluegrass Parkway turn left
    onto Rte. 583, turn left onto Miller Rd.

From Lexington and points East: Bluegrass
    Parkway West to exit no. 10, turn right onto
    Rte. 52 North, turn left onto Rte 62 West, turn
    left onto Rte 583, turn right onto Miller Road.

Fort Duffield
    US 31W (Dixie Hwy) at Salt River Drive in West Point, KY
    7.5 miles South of the Gene Snyder Freeway (Hwy 841)
    9 miles North of Fort Knox Main entrance

I am with KYMBA, I agree the website sucks, no trail info, just a lot of xc racers talken about races.

Singletrack +1
    Yeah, only been to Otter Creek, but i think Youngers is actually closer to the house. Trying to get my wife up to speed at Otter, as I've developed our own little circuit that doesn't punish her, but definately gets her a workout and helps develope more control over the bike. I haven't ridden in a few years, so it ain't doing anything bad for me either. We talked about hitting Youngers, but heard at the LBS the first hill would break you off.... True or false? Either way, we'll get there. Ft. Duffield makes me a little nervous, as i only hear about the DH side of it. Never about the trails or AM guys. How are the traffic levels there? and Youngers? Get pretty packed with people in the mornings, or stay pretty much to ourselves? Thats the best part of Otter, we can go a morning only seeing 3 other couples. Kinda nice sometimes.
    1x9 Hardtail, yummy.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    That first hill at Younger's has seven switchbacks. Most non-experts will have to get off the bike quite a few times to make them, but it's really not a bad climb. Once you're on top, it's twisty trails all the way. Definitely wish we had something as good in Lexington, where I live.

Singletrack +1
    7 switchbacks just to make it somewhere huh? Sounds great! As for the twisty trails, is it all singltrack? Anymore back-breaking climbs like the first, or just meandering along up and down? Rocks, roots, rockbeds? Kinda sounds like a good place to try out on a cooler day, this weekend definately not....
    1x9 Hardtail, yummy.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I only rode there once, but I remember that once you get on top, it's pretty smooth but twisty. There are a few trails cut into the sides of big hills that'll give you a good workout. Just go check it out! You might have to walk a few hills but it won't kill ya.

Singletrack +1
    Definately gonna head out there sometime. Only 20 minutes (if that) from the house. Closer than Otter Creek. Too bad it's gonna be so blessed hot this weekend, not really in the mood to be walkin hills in the heat. Rather be ridin em. But soon.... very soon....
    1x9 Hardtail, yummy.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr

You can find most of the KYMBA discussion here for now: http://www.bikeclicks.com/Community/KyMBA.aspx

For a fun trail that's manicured and much easier than Otter Creek come up to Cherokee park in Louisville. For a kick ass work out on a manicured trail that isn't technical you can check out Waverly Park in South West Louisville.