mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Does anyone have a full map of the Des Plaines River trail in Illinois?

I went on that trail last week starting in Libertyville off of Independence Grove and made my way down the trail to route 60. Well, being my first time on the trail I got lost with my buddy because we kept making circles in the "Yellow Loop" which conveniently was NOT drawn on the main map of the trail. We never did find our way back the trail so we took route 21 back to where we started.

Do any of you know the area? Have a map of all the trails on it along the Des Plaines River? For example, at the end of our trip there were pink trail, white trail, some other trail.....all of which were not on the main map that you can grab when you pass through nearby forest preserves.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The Des Plaines River trail is very well marked in Lake County. You just need to make sure you slow down enough to read the trail markers at the trail intersections (there should be posts that have arrows and DPR North or DPR South). You'll also find that some of the forest preserves will have maps posted where they intersect with the DPRT. Many of the forest preserves also have maps available online.
    The reason there is not a "master map" that shows the DPRT and all connecting trails is because the scale you need to show the 30 mile long DPRT in lake county is just not appropriate to also show the little loops in the forest preserves.
    I have a map of the Des Plaines River Trail on my website, but as with the official map, I also chose not to include all the little connector trails.

Edit: Just thought I'd mention that significant portions of the DPRT are probably flooded now.
    Last edited by trailville; 06-21-2009 at 04:24 PM.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciated. I thought DPR North meant that we are going on the des plaines river trail towards north on the compass, and vise versa for DPR South. Is that not the case I guess?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Carp
    Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciated. I thought DPR North meant that we are going on the des plaines river trail towards north on the compass, and vise versa for DPR South. Is that not the case I guess?
    That's correct.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.